Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Does this seem at all reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/12, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this seem at all reasonable?

Hello,

I am new to the forum but have already found a wealth of information and insight here. I wanted to share my current experience that I am having with my local Ford dealer (Battlefield Ford, Charlottesville, Va.)

I have already submitted this information to Deysha, but decided to open it up to the community at large and get some feedback.

Back in mid-November, I went to my local dealer to inquire about leasing a 2012 GT. I was told over the phone that one could be leased for around $300/ month for three years. When I arrived at the dealer to get further details they told me it would be $600/ month. They apologized for the misunderstanding without much explanation and we parted ways. I did a bit of research on Truecar website and went back to the dealer to look at buying the car. After another test drive and quite a bit of negotiations, we settled on pricing and financing. The car I bought was on another lot in North Carolina and I was told it would be delivered to me two days later. I gave my $500 deposit. Two days later, I got a call explaining that the car they had sold me could not be transferred because it was already sold to someone else that same weekend. They found a few other mustangs on other lots with the same options but after several days told me that they were unable to transfer any of those cars. They then told me that they would order one for me directly. A day later they called to tell me that Ford was no longer accepting orders for the 2012. They then gave me the option to buy a more expensive model they had on their lot, or wait and order a 2013 on December 5th for spring delivery. I told them I was not interested in the more expensive model, and that I would wait for 2013. A few weeks passed and on December 5th I got a call that they would not be able to order the 2013 yet as no order guide had been released. They told me it may be several more weeks.

After constant disappointments from this dealer, I submitted the following email to my salesman:

"I wanted to take a minute, while we wait for the 2013 order guides to be released, and make sure we are on the same page. One month ago, I test drove, negotiated, and put a deposit on a mustang. That particular car that I*committed*to was never secured and several other attempts to find a similar car came up empty. I was then told I was going to get one from the factory, and then told Ford was no longer accepting orders. I basically purchased a car that you were unable to deliver. I was told at the time that my options were to buy a more expensive model or wait until spring for the 2013 models. I had already cleaned out my Honda, but have now re-equipped*it for use until spring.

So far my experience has been less than pleasant.*

It seems likely that the 2013 order guides will be released sometime towards the end of the month while I am out of town, and I wanted to make sure there will be no more surprises. I am expecting the 2013 model of the car I*committed*to one month ago including my desired options (3.73 rear, brembo brake package) for our negotiated price.**

At this point, if battlefield is again not able to meet the set expectations, I am no longer interested in the car at this time."

At this point I received a response saying that they could offer me the same price on a USED 2012 mustang that they had just received. It had the premium package which I was not interested in, and was missing the brembo pack which they knew was very important to me.

After declining that offer, and restating my expectations from my original email, I received a response from the sales manager saying that after all of this, they could not guaranty the pricing on the 2013.

I signed our negotiation papers, submitted a credit app, and gave a deposit on a car they never secured and could not deliver and now after a months worth of missteps they are telling me that they will not guaranty our negotiated price on a car that I would have to wait until Spring for!

Obviously, I'm upset about the situation. My question to you all is: Is this at all reasonable or circumstantial, or should this dealer feel obliged to make good on our deal?

Thanks everyone,
Old 1/6/12, 09:23 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
From what I'm hearing from a few friends at dealerships, they are having problems getting inventory. So maybe other dealers are reluctant to give up inventory. I would try a different dealer though.
Old 1/6/12, 09:38 AM
GT Member

After reading this, the only issue *I* would have had was the lack of securing the vehicle from the other dealer.

However, the other dealer sure made more money selling it than doing a sideways trade to another dealer so it is hard to blame them.

Based on most complaints on forums, this would have to be filed under the minor problems section.
Old 1/6/12, 09:47 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
OP, this is very simple. Let me summarize this for you:

Your current dealer can kiss your a$$. Period.

They sound terrible. Why would you EVEN consider spending any more time with them or giving them your business? Makes no sense whatsoever. If you were treated poorly at a restaurant and had bad food, would you go back or recommend them?

My 2 cents, go to ANOTHER dealer, even if a little further away from where you live. There are PLENTY of other dealers out there who will treat you with respect and dignity, and honor their commitments.
Old 1/6/12, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am going to have to go with find another dealer. Based on my experience, the sales manager could have made the deal on the 2013, and even taken a small hit to bring you back as a returning customer. The sad fact is, most dealers are simply after the current sale and not looking at the benefits of having a return customer,who also recommends them to his friends and family. Shop around until you find a dealer you click with, and let them know this is your first purchase from them, but does not have to be the last.
Old 1/6/12, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
seeing that it was mid november, im sure the inventories were very low, so considering that, im sure that another dealer would not be willing to give up a mustang...when i went to purchase another ford from my dealer they had one i wanted at another dealer so i put down the $500 and the next day got a call saying that the vehicle i was trying to get they would not give it up. they called me the minute they found out and promptly refunded my money. they probably could have been a little more informative to you reguarding this situation and should have told you the risks up front....thats what my dealer did so i wasnt suprised.
also, i have walked away from dealers who tried to sell me the next model up than what i wanted, simply because they didnt understand that what i wanted was not what they offered. they did not adjust the price to meet my needs either so i walked.
the 13's will be offered at a higher sticker price than the 12's so that is why they cannot negociate the price.
i would still look at other dealerships in the area. did you try cowles ford in woodbridge VA ? they always have been nice to me when i was there, just couldnt reach any deals on what they had. hope this helps.
Old 1/6/12, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
also, i recommended others to my dealer and one has purchased a car...i received a $50 check in the mail the next week for the recommendation.
they know ill be back so they go the extra to make me happy.
Old 1/6/12, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's posts like this that make me wish I had studied law in college rather than dumpster diving.

I would consult with a lawyer on this. Most now have free consultations, and may not charge you unless you win the case. At least the first meeting would be free.

I'm not sure legally what your signed papers intitle you to; but someone in the law field will.
Old 1/6/12, 11:19 AM
MJN
GT Member

I think I too would be done and go find another dealer.

On a side note I had a bit of the same thing happen to me back in 06 when I was shopping for a new truck but before signing or any money left hands the dealer checked for me to make sure the truck was still available at the other dealership and behold is was sold the same day. Couple Weeks later I went thorough it all again, Found my dream truck and was sold when went to make the deal. Third time was the charm.

My point is though it happens but should never had to sign and give money I would have thought specially before they secured the vehicle. I would start looking at other dealers for sure. Good Luck!
Old 1/6/12, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

Simple....get your money back if you have not already....find a different dealer.....move on and use it as a learning experience.
Old 1/6/12, 11:24 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
Simple....get your money back if you have not already....find a different dealer.....move on and use it as a learning experience.
This!
Old 1/6/12, 11:34 AM

One of my friends works at this dealership and he was talking about this exact situation the other day, I am a member on other Ford Forums but I believe what is right is what is right and I figured it would only be right to shed some light on the TRUTH here. They did work a deal PENDING being able to secure a vehicle, the dealer called and cold not secure any of the Mustangs that exactly matched what he wanted (my friend was the guy calling the other dealers about the cas). What JRB5J failed to mention is that the pricing structure that WAS offered to him was True Car pricing which is something like $1000 under invoice, on top of that he was in fact offered a used 2012 401 package GT with under 2,000 miles which he declined. The last fact that he forgot to mention is that he was offered the same true car pricing on a 2013 order ($1000 or whatever under invoice), my friend told me the pricing is still not out as of last week for the '13's, but he could not be offered the same price as on the '12's (we all know the '13's are going to have a different starting MSRP because it is a revision of the 2012, and different rebates). I have personally bought 3 cars from this dealership and they service all of my vehicles including my Jeep and I have not had the first problem they didn't take care of, I know people like to leave out details and bash the dealership for what they felt was wrong doing, but it is not fair unless all the facts are true.
Old 1/6/12, 11:41 AM

one more fact, no one ever took any money from him, just a deposit, this deposit was never cashed, it was a deposit to go get the car if it was available, so what is the lawyer needed for? Maybe cause part of the information was absent from his original post?
Old 1/6/12, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
This.
Old 1/6/12, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jte2012
One of my friends works at this dealership and he was talking about this exact situation the other day, I am a member on other Ford Forums but I believe what is right is what is right and I figured it would only be right to shed some light on the TRUTH here. They did work a deal PENDING being able to secure a vehicle, the dealer called and cold not secure any of the Mustangs that exactly matched what he wanted (my friend was the guy calling the other dealers about the cas). What JRB5J failed to mention is that the pricing structure that WAS offered to him was True Car pricing which is something like $1000 under invoice, on top of that he was in fact offered a used 2012 401 package GT with under 2,000 miles which he declined. The last fact that he forgot to mention is that he was offered the same true car pricing on a 2013 order ($1000 or whatever under invoice), my friend told me the pricing is still not out as of last week for the '13's, but he could not be offered the same price as on the '12's (we all know the '13's are going to have a different starting MSRP because it is a revision of the 2012, and different rebates). I have personally bought 3 cars from this dealership and they service all of my vehicles including my Jeep and I have not had the first problem they didn't take care of, I know people like to leave out details and bash the dealership for what they felt was wrong doing, but it is not fair unless all the facts are true.

I was not made aware of the pending nature of this sale. I left the dealer that day being told that the car would be delivered in two days. Perhaps, it was just miscommunication on their part, but it has lead to the described scenario.

My intention was never to bash the dealer. As you can see from my original post my question to the forum community was : "Is this at all reasonable or circumstantial, or should this dealer feel obliged to make good on our deal?"
My intent was simply to get council from other enthusiasts.

I did mention that I consulted Truecar in my original post as did I mention that the used Mustang offered to me had the premium pack (which I was never interested in) but was lacking the Brembo brake pack which all involved knew was a make or break for me.

My family has also purchased many cars from this dealer in the past without issue.
Old 1/6/12, 12:01 PM

one more fact, no one ever took any money from him, just a deposit, this deposit was never cashed, it was a deposit to go get the car if it was available, so what is the lawyer needed for? Maybe cause part of the information was absent from his original post?

That is correct, my deposit was never cashed. I never claimed I was out any money, just that my deal was never completed.

There has been no talk of lawyers on my part and there never will be. That's ridiculous.

Also, since you seem to know all aspects of my deal, please identify yourself. You'll find no hostility here. Again, I am seeking council.
Old 1/6/12, 12:01 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Dealers an idiot. They should have let you know there is a chance they can't get it.

They should have called the other dealer and had the sales manager pull the keys and hold them when you made your deposit.

I have purchased many cars where the dealer had to get it from another dealer and in that time this circumstance did happen to me once. But the dealer did tell me it was a possibility every time we did it.
Dealer or salesman didn't do their job in keeping you informed up front or making sure the other dealer didn't sell the car out from under them.
Old 1/6/12, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Dealers will say or promise you anything. They worry about the problems that come up later.
Old 1/6/12, 12:02 PM
Cobra Member

Even if the OP is telling a tale here, he still needs to move on because he will never have a decent relationship with this dealer, no matter what the dealer does to rectify the OP's complaints....legit or not.

Maybe the Op's attitude will change with the next dealer.
Old 1/6/12, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd walk away and find another dealership.

Quick Reply: Does this seem at all reasonable?