2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Does this seem at all reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/12, 12:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey buddy, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles at the dealer. This does happen in the course of business when you have to do a "locate" or dealer trade for a car. Sometimes they get sold before the dealer can contact them for the same car. Whenever I sell a car that is not on my lot, I have to have everything started, nothing more. By started, I need a complete buyers order filled out, a credit application taken and approved before we can get the car brought it, and a small deposit (usually $100 or so, but most customers will put down $500). All this is needed to secure the sale and get things ready.

If the dealer says the car isn't available when I call for it, I call the customer and let them know. Usually when they sit at my desk, I will have several different invoices printed so there are more than one car to pick from. And I have the customer tell me which car is their #1 choice, #2 choice and so for and so on. If ultimately I can't locate a car (either the car was sold by the dealer who has it, or for some reason the dealer doesn't want to trade it, and this does happen when inventory gets tight on cars that sell well like a Fusion, Focus, etc) I call the customer and tell them and refund them their deposit.

Sometimes you can't ultimately get a car via a dealer trade. It happens as inventory moves faster at some places than others. The problem I have with this dealer, is they said you can LEASE a Mustang GT, not purchase but lease it, for only $300 a month. While I don't know all the info on what they offered, but this payment is not even close to being realistic unless they were asking for ALOT of cash down. Which you do NOT do on a lease. I just checked the programs on a 2012 GT for a lease. There are no programs on it. No rebates, no special rate factor to keep the payment low. They lied to get you in and that is what I hate!!! Some dealers just make it harder for the good dealerships to do well as everyone wants to group the bad with the good and never see that good places do exist.

There is no need for a lawyer, as Bucko said. This is nothing more than the dealer being unable to get a car. They should get your deposit back to you ASAP and I would go to another store, on the sole reason that they said they could get you to a low payment only to do a 180 and double the payment. That is dirty business 101.

If you have any questions on your options on what to do, please, by all means give me a call at the number in my signature. I'm always here to help.
Old 1/6/12, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrb5j
That is correct, my deposit was never cashed. I never claimed I was out any money, just that my deal was never completed.

There has been no talk of lawyers on my part and there never will be. That's ridiculous.

Also, since you seem to know all aspects of my deal, please identify yourself. You'll find no hostility here. Again, I am seeking council.

My comment about Lawyers was not pointed at you, I am aware you didn't mention that, it was based on anothers comment. I live in Charlottesville and my friend/room mate sells there, my only point is that it was very frustrating to read this hearing about the situation, it is unfortunate that they could not get the car you wanted and could not order one, but if you look at the situation and the offer they made it is very reasonable, I wish I would have known about these buying services when I bought my truck, I would have loved to get it for a grand under invoice. There is no hostillity here either, just going to bat for a friend and a dealer that has treated me well.
Old 1/6/12, 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by jte2012
My comment about Lawyers was not pointed at you, I am aware you didn't mention that, it was based on anothers comment. I live in Charlottesville and my friend/room mate sells there, my only point is that it was very frustrating to read this hearing about the situation, it is unfortunate that they could not get the car you wanted and could not order one, but if you look at the situation and the offer they made it is very reasonable, I wish I would have known about these buying services when I bought my truck, I would have loved to get it for a grand under invoice. There is no hostillity here either, just going to bat for a friend and a dealer that has treated me well.
The thing with these "buying services" are they are having alot of trouble with regulations in many states. TrueCar is considered a broker and wit that, each state has laws in place about paying a broker for a lead that turns into a sale. If you go onto Autoblog, there is a story from Automotive News from last week's issue about them and what they do.

Personally, as someone who has done this for so long what TrueCar gets makes no sense. They want a dealer to sell a car at hundreds upon hundreds, even $1,000 under invoice AND they get paid $299 for the sale, while the dealer looses money and the salesperson makes a mini deal (anywhere from $50 to $150 before tax depending on the store's payplan), and the dealer does all the work.
Old 1/6/12, 12:41 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
One of my friends works at this dealership and he was talking about this exact situation the other day, I am a member on other Ford Forums but I believe what is right is what is right and I figured it would only be right to shed some light on the TRUTH here. They did work a deal PENDING being able to secure a vehicle, the dealer called and cold not secure any of the Mustangs that exactly matched what he wanted (my friend was the guy calling the other dealers about the cas). What JRB5J failed to mention is that the pricing structure that WAS offered to him was True Car pricing which is something like $1000 under invoice, on top of that he was in fact offered a used 2012 401 package GT with under 2,000 miles which he declined. The last fact that he forgot to mention is that he was offered the same true car pricing on a 2013 order ($1000 or whatever under invoice), my friend told me the pricing is still not out as of last week for the '13's, but he could not be offered the same price as on the '12's (we all know the '13's are going to have a different starting MSRP because it is a revision of the 2012, and different rebates). I have personally bought 3 cars from this dealership and they service all of my vehicles including my Jeep and I have not had the first problem they didn't take care of, I know people like to leave out details and bash the dealership for what they felt was wrong doing, but it is not fair unless all the facts are true.
Everything you mentioned was in his original post. So no, he didn't leave anything out.

Once a deposit is paid. That is RESERVED...That's exactly what a deposit is for. They were trying to sell a car that they didn't have/couldn't get, and I call that a scam.

Regardless of what pricing was offered to him, he had an agreed price and the dealer did nothing but waste his time. He declined the other car, because it didn't meet his criteria...plain and simple. Of course the 2013 is gonna cost more, but that's not his fault. The dealer should take the hit on that...it's called customer service, and clearly this dealership is not any good at it.

To the OP...Get your deposit, walk away, and never return to that dealership again. They screwed around way too long already and could've made things right, but chose not to. Lesson learned.
Old 1/6/12, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Everything you mentioned was in his original post. So no, he didn't leave anything out.

Once a deposit is paid. That is RESERVED...That's exactly what a deposit is for. They were trying to sell a car that they didn't have/couldn't get, and I call that a scam.

Regardless of what pricing was offered to him, he had an agreed price and the dealer did nothing but waste his time. He declined the other car, because it didn't meet his criteria...plain and simple. Of course the 2013 is gonna cost more, but that's not his fault. The dealer should take the hit on that...it's called customer service, and clearly this dealership is not any good at it.

To the OP...Get your deposit, walk away, and never return to that dealership again. They screwed around way too long already and could've made things right, but chose not to. Lesson learned.

This is what drives me nuts, comments like this, how can some one so called "make it right" when they tried to locate a car and other dealers wouldn't give it up, tried to order but the current model year could no longer be ordered, and could not give a accurate quote on a '13 due to pricing not being available. ESPCIALLY when there was ZERO money in the deal in the first place. Carry on, I will bow out, I am not gonna continue to beat this horse, its not my fight anyhow.
Old 1/6/12, 01:04 PM
Just Plain Rude!

This is what drives me nuts, comments like this, how can some one so called "make it right" when they tried to locate a car and other dealers wouldn't give it up, tried to order but the current model year could no longer be ordered, and could not give a accurate quote on a '13 due to pricing not being available. ESPCIALLY when there was ZERO money in the deal in the first place. Carry on, I will bow out, I am not gonna continue to beat this horse, its not my fight anyhow.
I work retail, so I know all about taking a loss and making things right for a customer...And they have not done so. They've wasted more than plenty of his time, and I think something is owed for that. It doesn't take a month to tell someone "Sorry, the other dealer didn't want to give up the car, and it's too late to order another 2012." You don't have to know the pricing for the 2013's...You just have to know how to keep customers coming back to you, instead of someone else. Had this all been done in a timely manner, I think it'd be a different story. But it wasn't...
Old 1/6/12, 01:04 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its very simple how you make it right.. are you joking???

do the following

"I am sorry sir that car sold. We can not find another to sell you and our lot is out fo cars with that option. Here is the check you cut. The sales manager and I will keep looking for a car and let you know if we can be of further help."

that it.. it was nice and free and simple and honest! The problem is the sales staff did not want to give up a sale so they jerked this guy around for weeks..pure greed

so put up some reviews on dealer rating site and file with the bbb and get that check back and find a different dealer.

Last edited by Flagstang; 1/6/12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 1/6/12, 01:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sebastian, its not a scam. Unless said customer has been buying from the store for a long time, most dealerships don't just locate and bring in cars for people, unless they have a deposit. The deposit is a "commitment" to show you want to buy the car. Handshake deals, while I still do them for alot of my former customers, are not what they used to be. I lost count how many times I have talked to someone who said "I'll be back for it tomorrow" (meaning a car on my lot), and they never show up. Should I bring in a car from a dealer who may be 100 miles away, pay drivers to get it, on a "maybe"? The deposit is needed and in most aspects in any business is expected. Plus (at least in PA) its 100% refundable if I can't get the car. There are things that make this happen, but usually most dealer trades go smoothly. But to say its a scam, its not.

Last edited by 05fordgt; 1/6/12 at 01:24 PM.
Old 1/6/12, 01:58 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Sebastian, its not a scam. Unless said customer has been buying from the store for a long time, most dealerships don't just locate and bring in cars for people, unless they have a deposit. The deposit is a "commitment" to show you want to buy the car. Handshake deals, while I still do them for alot of my former customers, are not what they used to be. I lost count how many times I have talked to someone who said "I'll be back for it tomorrow" (meaning a car on my lot), and they never show up. Should I bring in a car from a dealer who may be 100 miles away, pay drivers to get it, on a "maybe"? The deposit is needed and in most aspects in any business is expected. Plus (at least in PA) its 100% refundable if I can't get the car. There are things that make this happen, but usually most dealer trades go smoothly. But to say its a scam, its not.
I understand it's not really a scam. Perhaps that was too serious of a word. But to string him along when they knew there was a good chance that they may not be able to get the car and make him think it was a done deal, is a bad way to do business at best.
Old 1/6/12, 02:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

I understand it's not really a scam. Perhaps that was too serious of a word. But to string him along when they knew there was a good chance that they may not be able to get the car and make him think it was a done deal, is a bad way to do business at best.
Your totally right on that. What they should have done, was once they knew they couldn't get the car, or find one that is like it within a few dollars that they could sell for the same price, then they should have called him and given his deposit back. Bad business is exact what it was!!
Old 1/6/12, 02:25 PM
V6 Member

Hey @ 05fordgt, you seem like a really honest and straightforward person and I wish there were more dealers like you around (I have to drive by a bunch of dealers and nearly 200 miles to find someone like yourself). I just have an off-topic question for you, and it is something that I have noticed with every dealership.. Why do you guys call everyone "buddy"? Is it something that you are told to do? It makes me cringe every time a salesman says it. Personally, I liken it to a nurse saying "small poke" just before gouging your arm!
Old 1/6/12, 02:48 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Originally Posted by Jryan3
Hey @ 05fordgt, you seem like a really honest and straightforward person and I wish there were more dealers like you around (I have to drive by a bunch of dealers and nearly 200 miles to find someone like yourself). I just have an off-topic question for you, and it is something that I have noticed with every dealership.. Why do you guys call everyone "buddy"? Is it something that you are told to do? It makes me cringe every time a salesman says it. Personally, I liken it to a nurse saying "small poke" just before gouging your arm!
I know the question wasn't directed towards me, but...In sales you try to establish a personal relationship with the customer (whether you care or not), so that they'll feel more comfortable with you. "Buddy" is more personal than just "Sir" or "Ma'am". Anything that shows that you know/remember the customer or makes them feel like you're friends is a good thing.
Old 1/6/12, 03:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
In the end it comes down to customer service. PERIOD. It just sounds like that dealer had no notion of what that was.
Old 1/6/12, 05:51 PM

I appreciate the replies. Sounds like the consensus is to pack up and move on, but it's nice to know that others felt that there was definite lack of customer service.

I sold cars (part time) during college and I know anytime we had a transfer deal in the works, that car had to be physically moved to a sale pending area to avoid such situations. I Guess that is not universal protocol.

I am now a small business owner and it's hard to see other companies getting away with behavior I would never subject my clients to. Whenever things go wrong in my office, I know that my clients/patients don't care about "inside baseball" explanations, they want to be satisfied. And as I thought most businesses knew, a satisfied customer is the best form of advertisement.
Old 1/6/12, 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did a purchase on an '07 GT Vert that was not at my local dealer in Az. Once we got all the basic paperwork done, the salesman called the dealer with the car and secured it for my purchase....no second guessing. While they were on the line, I wrote out a deposit check and the deal was sealed.

It took them about 10 min. to work out the trade as the other dealer wanted a sweet truck that was on my dealers lot. That is how they should work....no "maybe we can get it".
Old 1/6/12, 06:26 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
I did a purchase on an '07 GT Vert that was not at my local dealer in Az. Once we got all the basic paperwork done, the salesman called the dealer with the car and secured it for my purchase....no second guessing. While they were on the line, I wrote out a deposit check and the deal was sealed.

It took them about 10 min. to work out the trade as the other dealer wanted a sweet truck that was on my dealers lot. That is how they should work....no "maybe we can get it".
This! Again!

You are two for two today. Lol