2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Does this happen to you folks?

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/12, 08:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've had a few people "challenge" me. They come up behind me and ride my bumper. I just keep my speed and eventually they either back off or go around. Usually they are cars I could easily beat, but I like my cheap insurance and no tickets record.

I've had new Camaros come by me and they usually just check it out and smile, and some rev their engine at me. Never anything more than that from them.
Old 8/12/12, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
I've had a few people "challenge" me. They come up behind me and ride my bumper. I just keep my speed and eventually they either back off or go around. Usually they are cars I could easily beat, but I like my cheap insurance and no tickets record.

I've had new Camaros come by me and they usually just check it out and smile, and some rev their engine at me. Never anything more than that from them.
Unwittingly Foolish Operator -- UFO

had a guy buzz me last night on the way home -- can't figure the phenomenon
Old 8/12/12, 09:46 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had a few people "think" they can challenge me.... whatever. I ignore them and move on.
Old 8/16/12, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by the_bottomless_pit
not sure if its just because I live in detroit or what, but i havent really had anyone mess with me on the road. only time was a gto on woodward late one night and he revved a bunch at me, so i waved and let him speed off like an idiot lol

maybe because everyone around here knows what the 5.0 is capable of, so they dont bother. with that being said, i dont really see a whole lot of ricers around that much either. <3 the motor city
You forgot to mention that he pulled next to me first, and decided against it. LOL, but maybe he was tryin to steal your girlfriend.
Old 8/16/12, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

i wont lie ive street raced before even though i know its not right. But since ive gotten this car the opportunities to do so went down so drastically that it dont even entice me any more, especially since ive gotten the rousch axelbacks im scared to even go half throttle around town in fear of the PO PO swooping out from no where
Old 8/16/12, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Saturday night I am driving along a 4 lane road and something with blue fog lights and blue headlights pulls up behind me at a light. I hear some revving or something and I ignore it. I take off from the light and get up to the posted limit. As usual my reaction time puts me way ahead of everyone else (this can happen even when I am using a bicycle to get from A to B, nothing special) and I just cruise along. \

After a bit blue lamps are closing on me. Then he's too close for comfort.... well I knew it was an asshat, with those blue light bulbs. Finally he moves into the other lane... ok he's going to pass. No. He pulls along side me staying there... I am getting close to the local police station... So I brake suddenly to force him to pass me. It his here I see it's an early SN95 with a cobra rear bumper. With the cobra painted a contrasting color. Heavy tinted windows. I turn left two lights up to get some fuel while this guy has the window half down staring at me or my car... It's pretty clear at this point he wanted to get a 'race'. Out of state plates so maybe he didn't know how monumentally stupid that would be on that road at that time.
Old 8/16/12, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Asshats, Yes they can still be in Mustangs.. SMH.. I live in a area where I see Mustangs bastardized into rice looking messes with ugly body kits and huge three tier spoilers.. This actually bothers me more than seeing a Japanese car riced up.. Sounds like you saw one such Mustang..
Old 8/16/12, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was this the Mustang you saw?
Attached Thumbnails Does this happen to you folks?-mustang-20batmobile.jpg  
Old 8/16/12, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m totally ignored on the road.

My mustang looks and sounds stock, perhaps other drivers see me as an old guy driving a rental car.
Old 8/23/12, 09:41 PM
GT Member

I pull up to a red light and stop along side an 05-09 convertible mustang. I assume that it was a GT. It's always kinda fun because you never know when they want to jump you on a red light. I never instigate any random street racing. But this guy starts to pull hard on green light with his loud exhaust and whine and he gets a half-car's length ahead of me. Me being on a bad mood and not feeling like getting punkd, I accept the challenge. What started as a mellow evening cruise quickly escalates to a race.

All i remember is slamming the gas to the floor and watching the rpm gauge light up red. I get a good car's length ahead of him and beat him to the next red light. I'm just astonished that I had to shift into 5th gear.

So at the red light i roll down my window and he says that he missed a shift. I laugh and compliment him on his loud exhaust and engine whine. He revs his car and it's freakin loud and drives off.

Ever since I went to the track, i promised myself to only beat on the car at the track. And for the most part i granny shift the crap out of the car to the point of irritating fellow commuters. I've just got too much pride and hope that I don't end up like Marty McFly someday. I've had the car for 6 months but this is only the second occurance of my pride taking control. The first time it was a Continental GT. And i had to google about bentleys because i've never seen that car.

So what do you guys think? An 05-09 convertible mustang GT (loud whine and exhaust) vs my stock 2012 5.0? I always feel guilt whenever this happens. It's reckless and dangerous to the people on the road.
Old 8/23/12, 10:06 PM
Banned

Since I'm waiting for my '13 to arrive, I'm driving around in a 2002 passat and last weekend at around 2AM I was going to my friends house and there was this slow car in front of me and another car to the left so I downshift and just pass him, so because the car next to me thought I wanted to go fast, he gets next to me, puts his arm on the top of the steering wheel like all tools drive and starts to look over and keep up... he was in a 2010 camaro SS, like is he for real... I just rolled my eyes and kept driving. Some people will think anyone is trying to race them and it's soooo annoying.
Old 8/23/12, 10:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Mirad_GT12

So what do you guys think? An 05-09 convertible mustang GT (loud whine and exhaust) vs my stock 2012 5.0? I always feel guilt whenever this happens. It's reckless and dangerous to the people on the road.
What do I think? I think you should keep the racing to the track. You're nowhere near as good as you think you are behind the steering wheel. You have no idea what's coming from the sides, and even if you see something you're going too fast not to hit them or end up putting your car into a pole. Stop racing on the street. People get killed. Exert some self control over your pride.
Old 8/23/12, 11:54 PM
V6 Member

I've had a couple people try to race me. I'm ticket/accident free for going on 20 years, not going to spoil those savings (or worse, hurt myself or others) by screwing around. I do occasionally (legally) pass someone in a ricer or Camero (who also isn't driving aggressively) and let 'em get a good long look at the tail end of a real car though, ha!

I do plan on getting some performance driving lessons and hitting the track to drive the car like it was meant to be driven -- where it's legal/relatively safe.
Old 8/26/12, 11:32 PM
V6 Member

Sorry Charlie or whatever you name is, If I am in the center lane doing the speed limit and you feel like you want to go faster than the speed limit than you will have to use your turn signals, wait for traffic to clear and then pass me in a safe and lawful manner, because I am not going to zig zag through traffic all day long in and out of the lanes doing the posted speed limit and obeying the law just to appease you. Actually, if I am in the center lane I am not going to budge for you. You can turn blue in the face, which I am sure you must already be. I see you on the road every single day. That's why when we all drive to work in the morning and lister to the traffic reports and hear all the accidents alllll over the tri-state area, it's because of nucklehead, hot heads, air heads, multitaskers, cell phones users, etc, etc, etc. There is are one of these born every second (SCARY)!!! The center lane is a happy median for most drivers. I never drive at the speed limit anyway, which I find to be too slow for my taste, nor do I speed like a lunatic either, but I am not going to be run over by hot shots in the center lane either. The far left lane is for passing, not the center lane. The right lane is for the slower more cautious drivers. Leave them alone too, because they are not bothering anyone. No body is the alike in this world. You want to go fast stay in the left lane and happy motoring. Yeah, I'm not the problem. It's the nuckleheads and hot heads that are!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Greg3; 8/26/12 at 11:42 PM.
Old 8/27/12, 01:03 AM

Happens to me a lot in my other car, an 11 Camaro SS. But ever since I got a speeding ticket, I resisted the urge.
Old 8/27/12, 04:24 AM
FR500 Member

Happens in my 12 sixxer all the time. All i ever really do is go till i hit the speed limit then back off. I got a tocket for 5 over (40 in a 35) so im very wary of my speed now. Occasionally me and some buddies head to a deserted road in the farmland. 5 lanes including center turn lane, and go at it. Police know we go out there and stop by just to make sure things stay peaceful. I think they enjoy the show too. Get some nice fast cars out there. But other than that its speed limit and no faster
Old 8/27/12, 05:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mirad_GT12
I pull up to a red light and stop along side an 05-09 convertible mustang. I assume that it was a GT. It's always kinda fun because you never know when they want to jump you on a red light. I never instigate any random street racing. But this guy starts to pull hard on green light with his loud exhaust and whine and he gets a half-car's length ahead of me. Me being on a bad mood and not feeling like getting punkd, I accept the challenge. What started as a mellow evening cruise quickly escalates to a race.

All i remember is slamming the gas to the floor and watching the rpm gauge light up red. I get a good car's length ahead of him and beat him to the next red light. I'm just astonished that I had to shift into 5th gear.

So at the red light i roll down my window and he says that he missed a shift. I laugh and compliment him on his loud exhaust and engine whine. He revs his car and it's freakin loud and drives off.

Ever since I went to the track, i promised myself to only beat on the car at the track. And for the most part i granny shift the crap out of the car to the point of irritating fellow commuters. I've just got too much pride and hope that I don't end up like Marty McFly someday. I've had the car for 6 months but this is only the second occurance of my pride taking control. The first time it was a Continental GT. And i had to google about bentleys because i've never seen that car.

I commend you on your promise to keep racing off the streets and on the track.
Old 8/27/12, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one who notices. But then again this is just the name of the game, these products are more than consumables. They're emotional touch points from the past an they are just plain fun.

My favorite part are when the old ladies in the brand new $90k s classes and 7 series still stop and stare at my $40,800 s197.
Old 8/27/12, 10:45 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
Glad to see I'm not the only one who notices. But then again this is just the name of the game, these products are more than consumables. They're emotional touch points from the past an they are just plain fun.

My favorite part are when the old ladies in the brand new $90k s classes and 7 series still stop and stare at my $40,800 s197.
I get looks in my 22k base model sixxer lol
Old 8/28/12, 02:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Owning a Boss 302, nobody DARES to challenge me.: )

Quick Reply: Does this happen to you folks?