2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Does anyone else not give a **** about a fancy shmancy interior?

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/11, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
And why get just a regular SUV crossover when you can get a convertible one?!

That nissan is pretty absurd... i'm betting they dont sell many of them. its not really a good convertible, and there's not much utility.
Old 7/21/11, 11:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Mustang originated as a car from the beginning that could be optioned as elaborately as desired. The original Mustang also appealed to a vast generation and demographic of people from youth to retirement age, male and female, first time buyers to successful professionals. It was offered economical, luxurious, sporty and high performance. If someone wants a stripper version, buy one. However the choice should remain to have options, latest technology and comfort as desired. People always seem to loose the vision of what made the original Mustang so attractive to so many different people. So there can never be a one way that Mustangs should be.

I only like personal two door cars. Since Ford killed the Thunderbird, Cougar and Mark Series coupes, there is only one 2-door RWD car left which Ford makes that can serve up a measure of personal luxury, comfort, decent to great performance and good looks. That would be the Mustang. For me it has to serve up all the virtues of classic Mustangs in addition to recalling all the fabulous fastback Torinos and Montegos as well as Thunderbirds and Cougars.

The biggest criticism I ever had about my 08 Mustang interior is the hard plastic dash (which now creaks and buzzes across the dash top over every road imperfection), "Rubbermaid" console and inside door panels (which are both too easy to scuff and scratch).

Of course dash was addressed for 2010 along with a more pleasing to look at console design. However that does me no good with a 08 model. The 2010 door panels should have been fully covered in the same soft touch material as the dash. I don't care how much it would have cost more per car. Even the top of the door panels in our 2010 Fusion are covered in the soft touch materials and that makes a big difference.

There is also a lot of road noise from the rear of the vehicle. It's either tires or axle roar. I am wondering if the new for 2012 rear wheel opening liners will make any difference.

Last edited by watchdevil; 7/22/11 at 12:31 AM.
Old 7/22/11, 01:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah...A square is a rectangle but not all rectangles are squares...I can draw you a Venn diagram if it will help.

V8 Mustangs have historically been muscle cars...well, at least since 302, 351, 390, 428, 429 etc. models have been available. Regardless, it's an arbitrary title.

Regardless, a Muscle car/Pony car makes a crappy luxury car. I don't begrudge anyone who likes the "premium" interior but these cars have always taken flack for cheesy leather and tacky accoutrements...because they're cheap. Affordable, stylish performance is the priority of the design...not quiet, plush comfort. The current cars absolutely have the "nicest" interiors ever put in a Mustang but they're still light years behind the Euro cars.

I recently heard the door pannels described as being similar to a plastic trash can lid... and it's pretty apt. That's fine with me.

My point is- why bother? If you wanted a sporty luxury car, you could have spent the same money on a 2-3 year old BMW 3 series... gotten 80% of the performance and VASTLY better interior.

Option the car to keep it in its wheelhouse...going like hell, pulling like a dragster..while being a car you can drive to work every day and afford to keep on the road.

I have done this route, actually. Before I got into Mustangs (this is my 2nd S197) I picked up an Evolution Orange 2000 Miata LS (preserved in somebody's garage for 7 years at the time) with 5k on the odo...immediately put in a full coilover suspension, the widest wheels/tires I could fit, SCCA legal roll bar, Flyin' Miata turbo kit, full engine management system big aluminum radiator... the thing was a killer!! As nasty in the curves as it was in the straight line. All in, I spent about $18k on the car and it was easily as fast as the 5.0 Mustang (plus handled MUCH better)....but it was Frankestein's monster. It wasn't emissions legal, there was always something to tune, tweak, mess with...I couldn't rely on it! It was a toy.

So...the Mustang stands as the BEST cheap/daily driver-worthy/semi-hardcore performance car that fits my needs. 22-26mpg, 400hp, extremely usable trunk, not too exotic to leave unattended in a parking lot, COULD be driven in the winter if necessary...yet still absolutely shreds the back roads and the straights....and it has a warranty.

I will go to the grave insisting that the car excels by those criteria but will always seem cheesy when people try to make it a luxury car.

Purely my opinion. I really do like the upgraded interiors... but I'd never spend my money on those options.
I salute you! Great post right there it's 110 percent true. I don't need some over the top fancy *** interior. It's nice to still have the appealing interior but it's perfect for what the car is I wouldn't ask for anything more then they would offer
Old 7/22/11, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

My opinion is I never felt that cloth has any place in a performance car. For me, never did and never will. I do want to get a GT base one day used and build a nice track car bit for now I'm loving my 401a with the goodies!!
Old 7/22/11, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by flySWA737
My opinion is I never felt that cloth has any place in a performance car. For me, never did and never will. I do want to get a GT base one day used and build a nice track car bit for now I'm loving my 401a with the goodies!!
I don't entirely disagree with you about the cloth.
I'd take a classic vinyl interior...assuming it didn't crack like the old stuff.
Old 7/22/11, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't entirely disagree with you about the cloth.
I'd take a classic vinyl interior...assuming it didn't crack like the old stuff.
True, true. It does crack and takes some extra care but it's just every time I sit in a mustang with cloth I get reminded of my parents former Astro van which was all cloth. LOL
Old 7/22/11, 09:11 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am part of the I couldn't care less about the interior. What I care about, feel of steering wheel, shifter and positioning of seats and pedels.

Beyond that I don't go touching my dashboard or anything so I could care less if Mattel Toys built it or Ferrari. When I am driving I am looking out the window not at my center stack.
Old 7/22/11, 10:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xlover
That nissan is pretty absurd... i'm betting they dont sell many of them. its not really a good convertible, and there's not much utility.
A buddy of mine is actually a pretty big Nissan dealer and he says the car is getting quite a lot of interest. Mainly from females, which is what it is marketed to. His wife is making him get one for her.
Old 7/22/11, 10:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I am part of the I couldn't care less about the interior. What I care about, feel of steering wheel, shifter and positioning of seats and pedels.

Beyond that I don't go touching my dashboard or anything so I could care less if Mattel Toys built it or Ferrari. When I am driving I am looking out the window not at my center stack.
Agreed, the feel and functionality of the seats, wheel, shifter and pedals is much more important than the material of the door panels.

Sure, I understand some people want all the gizmos, leather everything, chrome shift boot, etc, but that's much less important than the function of the items you actually touch all the time and use to drive... And both of them are way below performance and value.

Again, I'm fine with people wanting that stuff, but it shouldn't be at the expense of performance or add expense for those that just want to have a great bang for the buck pony car.