do NOT buy the clear bra from AM

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/15, 10:07 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do NOT buy the clear bra from AM

this is a warning to anyone who wants to get the clear bra from American Muscle

do not waste your money, i got ripped off for $200

i bought the front bumper kit, and it does not fit at all. its several inches to small. i spent 2 hours slowly stretching it to try and make it fit, and it just curled and snapped.

if it was the proper size, it would be easy to installed, but it being way to small, makes it impossible.
Old 5/1/15, 10:16 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Sigh. Sorry to hear that. But no worries, one of the reps will read your post soon enough, attempt to apologize publicly to avoid tarnishing their name, and will attempt to try and make an excuse for why it happened and then give you a refund and possibly some free stuff to try to keep you happy so you can buy from them again and repeat the process.

Don't fall for it.

Instead, get your clear bra/paint protection done at a real, professional, reputable shop. You'll pay more, but you'll be far more satisfied. Go with xpel. 10 year warranty and REAL customer service with folks who don't have to worry about putting on a facade because they don't ever need to in the first place.

Last edited by FromZto5; 5/1/15 at 10:20 PM.
Old 5/1/15, 10:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I have a hard time believing that you even got the correct product in the first place, sounds like.

Videos I've seen of 3M clear protective film (aka clear bra) do NOT show any stretching is needed to the extreme you apparently went through. If you have to stretch it 'inches'(!) then it's not correctly cut. Period.

A clear film like this is basically a tint film for the car, same as a window, and like those, you simply *do not* stretch it. It is cut correctly for the car and you apply it. Sure, maybe a couple of millimeters or so, but still... not the thing.

So if you had a badly cut film, you should have returned it before install. They do say to make sure it's right before application for a reason.

Also, if you've not done so, perhaps you should talk to AM directly?
Old 5/1/15, 11:08 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
*sigh*
Old 5/2/15, 07:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by houtex
I have a hard time believing that you even got the correct product in the first place, sounds like.

Videos I've seen of 3M clear protective film (aka clear bra) do NOT show any stretching is needed to the extreme you apparently went through. If you have to stretch it 'inches'(!) then it's not correctly cut. Period.

A clear film like this is basically a tint film for the car, same as a window, and like those, you simply *do not* stretch it. It is cut correctly for the car and you apply it. Sure, maybe a couple of millimeters or so, but still... not the thing.

So if you had a badly cut film, you should have returned it before install. They do say to make sure it's right before application for a reason.

Also, if you've not done so, perhaps you should talk to AM directly?

it is not meant to be stretched at all. When you line it up all the cuts look correct, its only when you actually start to install it and cut out your license plate when you see its way to small.

a couple millimeters would have been fine. the headlights were a few millimeters smaller, and it fit perfectly. im just trying to help other people not waste there money on this product.
Old 5/2/15, 12:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah buddy, gotta go pro install for that.

A proper detail/wrapping shop will do it correctly.
Old 5/2/15, 12:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by whowasthat
it is not meant to be stretched at all. When you line it up all the cuts look correct, its only when you actually start to install it and cut out your license plate when you see its way to small.

a couple millimeters would have been fine. the headlights were a few millimeters smaller, and it fit perfectly. im just trying to help other people not waste there money on this product.
Then one wonders why you were stretching it in the first place...
Old 5/3/15, 08:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Then one wonders why you were stretching it in the first place...

well i was 50% installed (from left to right) when i realized it was way to small, and there is no going back. i removed/shifted it and started over from the center and was just trying to make it fit
Old 5/3/15, 09:29 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by whowasthat
well i was 50% installed (from left to right) when i realized it was way to small, and there is no going back. i removed/shifted it and started over from the center and was just trying to make it fit
See my post earlier. Cut your losses, move on, and remember to make better choices with vendors and products.
Old 5/3/15, 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
See my post earlier. Cut your losses, move on, and remember to make better choices with vendors and products.
Something's are better left to the pro's.
Old 5/3/15, 04:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
While I understand the concept of getting it done right by going with a shop.

Lets point out the real issue at hand, the guy wanted to do it himself because he trusted that he was going to get a product that would do what he wants. You would think that if you got the right product you could faithfully install it yourself but it appears he didn't.

Heck i installed my own supercharger, it came with everything. all the nuts bolts, not a single thing missing and i was able to do it myself by just reading instructions.

Its sad that something simple like this didn't come cut right. It sounds like OP could have done it if it came how it was suppose to.
Old 5/3/15, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It also sounds like OP didn't even talk to AM about it. But that's just a guess.

I had AM ship me some stuff recently.. and it came in just beat to smithereens. I called, talked, and they allowed me to ship it back and get a refund. They also paid for the return shipping. Pleasant to deal with, just unfortunate they had to do that is all.

So I don't know what the problem here would be unless it's "once installed" thing, and read that but didn't *read it* ("WHY WON'T IT READ!?"), so now the items' yours, too bad? :shrug:

Really wonder what's going on here, but whatever, no bras from AM, got it.
Old 5/4/15, 08:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
If a pro can install it then someone else should be able to install it also. Maybe just not as well. Maybe the op started the install at the wrong spot on the car. Maybe start in the middle and werk your way outwards??
Old 5/4/15, 09:34 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by rmurer
While I understand the concept of getting it done right by going with a shop.

Lets point out the real issue at hand, the guy wanted to do it himself because he trusted that he was going to get a product that would do what he wants. You would think that if you got the right product you could faithfully install it yourself but it appears he didn't.

Heck i installed my own supercharger, it came with everything. all the nuts bolts, not a single thing missing and i was able to do it myself by just reading instructions.

Its sad that something simple like this didn't come cut right. It sounds like OP could have done it if it came how it was suppose to.
You're right for sure. The issue is definitely with the vendor and product, no doubt. Buying from the right vendor and getting the right product is número uno. But I guess from my years of working on cars etc, esp with detailing, the Clearbra is something that is truly best left to the pros. Installing a supercharger by ourselves (as you and I have done) is seriously EASY compared to doing clearbras. The issue is it's a one time thing. Lay it down slightly off, or if there's a micro dirt on the paint surface, you're done for. Throw that 300+ piece of film away.
Old 5/4/15, 12:00 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive done lots of detailing and done quite a bit of work on cars but for stuff like vinyls and paint protection films ill leave that to the pros. Too many variables can happen outside of an enclosed booth where they would apply those kinds of things.

OP sorry you had to go through that but hopefully you can get things sorted out.