2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Do I need an alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/14, 08:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need an alignment?

Just wondering if an alignment would resolve a couple of issues. First, ever since I picked the car up, I've noticed that the right spoke of the steering wheel is about 1/4 inch lower than the left when I'm driving straight. It also seems that I'm continually having to pull the wheel slightly to the left, like it's wandering to the right hand side. Not a lot, but enough that I've come to notice it happening most of the time. I know that my car has a tendency of tramlining on uneven surfaces, but this seems like something else. I've check the tires pressures and they're all at 32 psi.

I'm just wondering is an alignment would straighten the steering wheel so it was perfectly level when driving straight and perhaps get rid of that constant roaming to the right.

Any experts on alignment out there?
Old 1/14/14, 09:11 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Yes an alignment will take care of the offcenter steering wheel as long as your front tires aren't causing the drift right. Get it checked out. If your front tires are fairly wide, it will track on uneven surfaces but on flat ground it should be straight. If you get the alignment and still have the same issue it may be the front tires. Called a radial pull.
Old 1/15/14, 07:40 AM
GT Member

Please also keep in mind that a lot of roads and highways have a slight crown to them in order for the rainwater to run off and not pool in the roadway so your car will feel like it's pulling to the right because it's trying to follow the crown. It shouldn't pull real hard but may have a tendency to drift a little.
Old 1/15/14, 10:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Are your tires the same size as the stock tires? If so, the car won't pull much at all if it's aligned properly assuming the tires are still of a high quality. If the car pulls to the right on undivided highways but doesn't in the left lane of a divided highway, then your pull is likely a result of the crown in the road (almost every road has them). I put 285's on the front of my '13 and the thing pulls to the right like it's diving off the road...but I expect that because of the width of the tire. Yours shouldn't pull nearly as much.
Old 1/18/14, 02:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
If you under 12 months 12K miles the dealer should do the alignment under warranty. Just remind him to tell the front end guy to straighten your steering wheel.
Old 1/18/14, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
Just wondering if an alignment would resolve a couple of issues. First, ever since I picked the car up, I've noticed that the right spoke of the steering wheel is about 1/4 inch lower than the left when I'm driving straight. It also seems that I'm continually having to pull the wheel slightly to the left, like it's wandering to the right hand side. Not a lot, but enough that I've come to notice it happening most of the time. I know that my car has a tendency of tramlining on uneven surfaces, but this seems like something else. I've check the tires pressures and they're all at 32 psi.

I'm just wondering is an alignment would straighten the steering wheel so it was perfectly level when driving straight and perhaps get rid of that constant roaming to the right.

Any experts on alignment out there?
I'm not an expert (and you probably won't find one that can do a proper alignment either), just old and experienced lol. My 2014 GT with 4k miles has begun drifting / pulling / tramlining as you describe. Most every sports car I have ever driven does it..nature of the beast (hmmm I wonder about the '15 with IRS). Trust me..the steering wheel 1/4" lower on the right is not an issue (mine of off as well), it'll get worse if you let the knuckleheads at the dealer or alignment shop mess with it. The factory alignment is the best you will ever get, they are aligned with the tires rotating. My 2 cents..leave well enough alone.