Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diode Dynamics XML2 fogs installed

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/14, 12:26 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
LEDs have come a long way since 2007 FWIW. Our new XML2's will provide better results (and appearance) than an aftermarket halogen replacement, and they are just as easy to install.

Plus, it's very low-risk to give them a try with our 30-day money back guarantee

Nick C.
I 2nd that. Those XML2's are fantastic. And they're a perfect match to my 6000k HID's.

Nick, because of the larger size of the XML2's though, I did have to loosen the front bumper to pull it away from the frame enough to install them. No biggie. Took me 10 minutes.

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I always hated those silverstars. Looks marginally better then stock, maybe a tad brighter, and a WAY shorter life.
Agree. Halogens don't hold a candle to these new LED's.
Old 9/12/14, 10:16 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are 6500K white in color, a nice bright white, not blue-looking.

They are the same CREE chips, but the XM-L2 is available in a number of colors from CREE. We use the 6500K version in these.

They are a pretty close match your factory HIDs, but if you find them too blue we can send a pre-paid return shipping label for a hassle free exchange

Nick C.
Thanks for answering my questions. Also I forgot to ask, how audible is the cooling fan when the bulbs are installed?

I'd love to give them a try but they are now listed as out of stock for my 2014 GT/CS. Any word on when they will be back?
Old 9/13/14, 10:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by NacsMXer
Thanks for answering my questions. Also I forgot to ask, how audible is the cooling fan when the bulbs are installed?

I'd love to give them a try but they are now listed as out of stock for my 2014 GT/CS. Any word on when they will be back?
You can't hear it at all unless you hold them up to your ear in a dead-silent room.

Unfortunately we sold out of the H10 size extremely quickly. We expect to have more in 1-2 weeks.

Thanks!
Old 9/13/14, 12:29 PM
I Have No Life

You can't hear it at all unless you hold them up to your ear in a dead-silent room. Unfortunately we sold out of the H10 size extremely quickly. We expect to have more in 1-2 weeks. Thanks!
That is correct. No sound. Been on now for a week or more. Love em.
Old 9/13/14, 01:28 PM
GT Member

Sounds good guys, thanks for the info.

I've never messed with the stock fog light bulbs on my GT/CS before, but it looks like you can just pop the plastic splash shield off from underneath to gain access. I hope there is enough room to just slide the new XM-L2 bulbs in without loosening the bumper cover
Old 9/15/14, 09:19 AM
Supporting Vendor

I've never messed with the stock fog light bulbs on my GT/CS before, but it looks like you can just pop the plastic splash shield off from underneath to gain access. I hope there is enough room to just slide the new XM-L2 bulbs in without loosening the bumper cover
As long as you have about 2" of clearance behind the socket, it should be a piece of cake. I don't foresee there being any fitment issues. I had plenty of room with my GT500 front end's fog lights

Nick C.
Old 9/15/14, 09:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

There's plenty room behind the c/s lights. I've pulled the pan and changed my bulbs twice.

Last edited by TheReaper; 9/15/14 at 10:02 AM.
Old 9/15/14, 11:40 AM
I Have No Life

As long as you have about 2" of clearance behind the socket, it should be a piece of cake. I don't foresee there being any fitment issues. I had plenty of room with my GT500 front end's fog lights

Nick C.
Originally Posted by TheReaper
There's plenty room behind the c/s lights. I've pulled the pan and changed my bulbs twice.
Being that I have the GT/CS valence, I would agree that there's plenty of room there. For the main fogs though (I know neither of you have this) I have to loosen the front bumper enough to pull it away to fit XML2's in. There's room behind the fogs, but the problem is getting it in there in the first place. Can't do it without more room. Not a big deal as it took all but 10 minutes.
Old 9/16/14, 06:13 AM
GT Member

Great, thanks for confirming that fellas. I appreciate it. I got the new XM-L2 fogs ordered yesterday; it was nice to see them back in stock earlier than expected. Can't wait to try them out.
Old 10/24/14, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't hear it at all unless you hold them up to your ear in a dead-silent room.

Unfortunately we sold out of the H10 size extremely quickly. We expect to have more in 1-2 weeks.

Thanks!
Would this be a worthwhile upgrade over the OEM 2013 GT H11 LED fogs? Been looking for some more light output as the roads around my area aren't lit up the best at night. Thanks in advance!
Old 10/24/14, 02:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ to 5-OH
Would this be a worthwhile upgrade over the OEM 2013 GT H11 LED fogs? Been looking for some more light output as the roads around my area aren't lit up the best at night. Thanks in advance!
If you're talking about the grille mounted lights, the bulbs cannot be swapped.
Old 10/27/14, 07:45 AM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by VQ to 5-OH
They were mistakenly listed for the 2013-2014 Mustangs, and I believe that listing has since been removed.

There isn't a plug and play LED replacement option for those housings. You would need to solder on different LEDs to increase the brightness

Nick C.
Old 10/27/14, 09:47 AM

If you're talking about the grille mounted lights, the bulbs cannot be swapped.
They were mistakenly listed for the 2013-2014 Mustangs, and I believe that listing has since been removed.

There isn't a plug and play LED replacement option for those housings. You would need to solder on different LEDs to increase the brightness

Nick C.
Ah damnit... oh well thanks for the info fellas. Just trying to find some lighting upgrades since the headlights on my last car spoiled me with their light cast and spread pattern. My searching hasn't really found me all that much for my 2013.
Old 10/28/14, 12:23 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What was your last car? The 2013/2014 Mustang has good headlights stock.

If you want better range for long dark roads (with no one around), replace the fog lights with driving lights with a relay harness and separate switch (or mod the wiring) to be able to have them on with the high beams.

A good set of driving lights will augment the high beams and give you more range on dark roads. Just be sure to only use them with no one else on the road. Otherwise you'll be blinding them with those lights.

Fog lights aren't meant to help with distance.

Last edited by VIP1; 10/28/14 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10/29/14, 02:32 PM
GT Member

Hate to break it to you, but those are the same or worse than your factory bulbs. Sylvania just lost a lawsuit over it.

http://www.lednews.org/osram-sued-fa...tar-headlight/

Nick you helped me with going to HID's for my lower Fogs or actually driving lights. I love them.....light up the area around the front and off to the sides of the car that my main HIDs dont catch. Ten times better than the stock lamps that were in there. Love them.....been thinking about buying the yellows for winter driving but on fence for them.
Old 10/29/14, 02:40 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Bentnail
Nick you helped me with going to HID's for my lower Fogs or actually driving lights. I love them.....light up the area around the front and off to the sides of the car that my main HIDs dont catch. Ten times better than the stock lamps that were in there. Love them.....been thinking about buying the yellows for winter driving but on fence for them.
Yellow looks pretty good in fog light applications IMO (depending on car color) and it can be more effective in adverse conditions

It just depends what look you are going for

Nick C.
Old 10/29/14, 03:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Are the stock 13-14 lower for housings set up for HID bulbs? They look like projectors... Would be nice if all that is needed is the bulbs/ballasts.
Old 10/29/14, 03:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

Are the stock 13-14 lower for housings set up for HID bulbs? They look like projectors... Would be nice if all that is needed is the bulbs/ballasts.
They are halogen projectors, which aren't intended for HIDs, but HIDs will work fit in them and work well

Nick C.
Old 10/31/14, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

So for the GT/CS Fogs The H11 XML2s are $140 !?
I want to be sure these are gonna be worth it!

I have bought a few LED replacement bulbs with HUGE disappointment! Seems most ppl only care about the color match to the headlights and rave about other bulbs. When I install them the light output is GARBAGE! I need a bulb that will give me good light output...not just a color match!

I have delayed buying any other LED bulbs and was gonna go with HIDs...should I not and go with the XML2s instead!?
Old 10/31/14, 10:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Nocturnal'14
So for the GT/CS Fogs The H11 XML2s are $140 !?
I want to be sure these are gonna be worth it!

I have bought a few LED replacement bulbs with HUGE disappointment! Seems most ppl only care about the color match to the headlights and rave about other bulbs. When I install them the light output is GARBAGE! I need a bulb that will give me good light output...not just a color match!

I have delayed buying any other LED bulbs and was gonna go with HIDs...should I not and go with the XML2s instead!?
I have them in my 14 GT/CS fogs. These aren't like the LED fog/DRL bulbs of the past. The new XML2's actually light up the road and have usable output. They are way brighter than the wimpy H11 halogen bulbs our cars came with. I notice a big difference running just the HID's alone and the HID's + XML2 fogs. With the fogs on, there is a lot more light spread out immediately in front of the car, especially off the corners of the car say at 10 and 2. They provide a lot of good "fill" light without being blinding to oncoming drivers.

A HID kit in the fogs will definitely be brighter but I can't speak for that not blinding oncoming drivers. You also have to mount ballasts and run the relay harness up towards the battery. The XML2's are great because you just swap the bulbs and you're in business. No ballasts or wiring to run.

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics XML2 fogs installed