Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Decision time: Trade in for 2018 or mod the hell out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/17, 11:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
You mean snobs, don't you ? And yet the imports such as Toyota, Nissan, Honda and VW still offer them, as they know there's still a demand for 2 door sport coupes.. Perhaps if Ford, GM and FCA bothered to follow suit, they just might have much better sales numbers to show for their efforts..

At any rate, Challenger and Camaro seem to be doing just fine without evolving into some upscale European sports coupe.. As for evolving, I didn't have an issue until Ford evolved the Mustang into an upscale luxury sports coupe for which it's original purpose was never intended for to begin with.. That's my point !
What??

Toyota: only 2 door is the GT86, which has not come close to expectations.
Nissan: Altima coupe and 350Z, which has now gone 15+ years without a significant redesign
Honda: Accord coupe
VW: the about-to-be-canceled Beetle is 2 doors but that's it.

So what awesome 2 door cars were you referring to?

As far as the Camaro, if you haven't noticed, it's as expensive as the Mustang and just as "sophisticated". The Challenger would be too if FCA had the $ to redesign it, which they don't. Mustang outsells every other car in its competition, and it ain't even close beyond the Camaro.

Last edited by kylerohde; 3/6/17 at 11:11 PM.
Old 3/7/17, 01:55 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
What??

Toyota: only 2 door is the GT86, which has not come close to expectations.
Nissan: Altima coupe and 350Z, which has now gone 15+ years without a significant redesign
Honda: Accord coupe
VW: the about-to-be-canceled Beetle is 2 doors but that's it.

So what awesome 2 door cars were you referring to?

As far as the Camaro, if you haven't noticed, it's as expensive as the Mustang and just as "sophisticated". The Challenger would be too if FCA had the $ to redesign it, which they don't. Mustang outsells every other car in its competition, and it ain't even close beyond the Camaro.
First off, I'm fully aware the Camaro is just as sophisticated/expensive as the current S550.. However that wasn't my point.. My point is the Camaro still has the physical appearance of an American muscle/pony car that hasn't evolved into a euro sports coupe and despite the fact that FCA hasn't re-designed the Challenger at this point, the car is still in demand by those looking for an alternative to the current S550 that continues to offer classic retro styling along with best bang for the buck performance as well..

Therefore it's unfortunate in having to say this, but if I were in the market for a new toy in which obviously I am not.. I would end up choosing a 392 Challenger Scat Pack over the current S550 GT hands down..

As for the Nissan Altima coupe and 350Z going without a significant re-design, the same can also be said for the Porsche 911 despite the fact the 350Z and 911 Porsche are considered as niche cars.. The point is, they're still in production and continue to do well enough in sales to remain so..

And btw: I never said that I referred to any of the 2 door sport coupes offered by the imports as awesome to begin with.. However I'm quite certain there's probably others that do..

At any rate, other than the sport coupes that have already been mentioned, there's also the Cadillac ATS coupe, Audi TT, BMW M4 and Lexus RC sport coupes in which I also don't consider as awesome in comparison with the Crapmaro, Mustang and Challenger.. As neither are in the same class or category IMHO.. But they are alternatives to the current Crapmaro, S550 Mustang and Challenger never the less !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/7/17 at 03:23 PM.
Old 3/7/17, 06:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I think if I had your 2012, I'd be pretty happy with it and probably would just keep it, with minor mods and improvements. I guess I don't understand why 400+ HP isn't enough, since I know I'd almost never use it. If it's getting boring a supercharger should cure that fairly quickly.

Like the others I love the updated retro styling; it's like the '68 that I could never afford, only better because it runs all the time and has all the modern conveniences, like some of the others have said. The S550 is a completely different animal that doesn't fill that need.
Old 3/7/17, 07:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
I think if I had your 2012, I'd be pretty happy with it and probably would just keep it, with minor mods and improvements. I guess I don't understand why 400+ HP isn't enough, since I know I'd almost never use it. If it's getting boring a supercharger should cure that fairly quickly.

Like the others I love the updated retro styling; it's like the '68 that I could never afford, only better because it runs all the time and has all the modern conveniences, like some of the others have said. The S550 is a completely different animal that doesn't fill that need.
Exactly. ^

Mike, didn't you have a thread or two, posting/inquiring about putting a blower on your car? I think folks (including me) recommended you doing so. Whatever happened to that?

I think if you just spent between 5-8k on a blower install, you wouldn't be posting this thread. It would be a whole new car to you.

That's what happened with me. Would I still love my car if she had a "stock" motor? Yeah... but not to the extent I do now. I'll never get rid of her. The sound alone makes my knees weak. But I'd buy another car to go along with, obviously. Save, save, save.
Old 3/7/17, 07:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Exactly. ^

Mike, didn't you have a thread or two, posting/inquiring about putting a blower on your car? I think folks (including me) recommended you doing so. Whatever happened to that?

I think if you just spent between 5-8k on a blower install, you wouldn't be posting this thread. It would be a whole new car to you.

That's what happened with me. Would I still love my car if she had a "stock" motor? Yeah... but not to the extent I do now. I'll never get rid of her. The sound alone makes my knees weak. But I'd buy another car to go along with, obviously. Save, save, save.
Yep...when it comes to owning a hotrod, I find it really hard to not perpetually weigh options and figure out the best way to allocate precious resources. At one point, I had a deal on a low mileage OEM blower...but it turned out to be the stock Terminator blower (not the GT500 unit as I had been led to believe) so I was back to square one...
...Then the 2015 version of the S550's Coyote proved to have much stronger internals and much more potential and it seemed silly to drop $5k-$8k on my motor to get 500rwhp when the same money would make 700rwhp on a different version of the 5.0. It just took the fun out of it... so I stuck with the suspension tinkering for a while and tried to forget about it.

I don't know about you guys but even when I come to a conclusion on one of these questions, circumstances change and it once again becomes a point of consideration. In this case, the new 2018 version of the higher-revving, higher compression Coyote has demanded a look. The revised S550 is so much more to my taste...which is really disappointing!

Besides, these debates are interesting and fun anyway, no? I like hearing what you guys think and where you're headed. We're all in the S197 boat together...most of us have pretty similar taste.

Honestly, the blower option has always been on the table for my current car. The right deal on a stock GT500 blower and a DoB manifold/heat exchanger would be hard to pass up...

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/7/17 at 07:47 AM.
Old 3/7/17, 08:45 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Yep...when it comes to owning a hotrod, I find it really hard to not perpetually weigh options and figure out the best way to allocate precious resources. At one point, I had a deal on a low mileage OEM blower...but it turned out to be the stock Terminator blower (not the GT500 unit as I had been led to believe) so I was back to square one...
...Then the 2015 version of the S550's Coyote proved to have much stronger internals and much more potential and it seemed silly to drop $5k-$8k on my motor to get 500rwhp when the same money would make 700rwhp on a different version of the 5.0. It just took the fun out of it... so I stuck with the suspension tinkering for a while and tried to forget about it.

I don't know about you guys but even when I come to a conclusion on one of these questions, circumstances change and it once again becomes a point of consideration. In this case, the new 2018 version of the higher-revving, higher compression Coyote has demanded a look. The revised S550 is so much more to my taste...which is really disappointing!

Besides, these debates are interesting and fun anyway, no? I like hearing what you guys think and where you're headed. We're all in the S197 boat together...most of us have pretty similar taste.

Honestly, the blower option has always been on the table for my current car. The right deal on a stock GT500 blower and a DoB manifold/heat exchanger would be hard to pass up...
That's a fair point - if I had an S550 right now, and I spent the same amount of money on a blower as I did on my S197 3 years ago, I'd probably be making more power. But, that's a sunken cost, and I can't dwell on it. Instead, I look forward to the opportunity to either

a) buy another toy to go alongside Marilyn, mod the heck out of that new one, and obviously make more power. But I'd leave Marilyn as is since she's great the way she is...

b) continue to mod Marilyn - but this time, engine swap/internals swap, etc... really make this baby go. But then again, it wouldn't be as drivable

So anyways... it's a good spot to be in. Choosing between 2 great options. For option a), I already have my eyes set on either a Dodge Viper, Shelby, or M3... all used of course.
The following users liked this post:
MRGTX (3/7/17)
Old 3/7/17, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

First off, I'm fully aware the Camaro is just as sophisticated/expensive as the current S550.. However that wasn't my point.. My point is the Camaro still has the physical appearance of an American muscle/pony car that hasn't evolved into a euro sports coupe and despite the fact that FCA hasn't re-designed the Challenger at this point, the car is still in demand by those looking for an alternative to the current S550 that continues to offer classic retro styling along with best bang for the buck performance as well..

Therefore it's unfortunate in having to say this, but if I were in the market for a new toy, I'd end up choosing a 392 Challenger Scat Pack over the current S550 GT hands down..

As for the Nissan Altima coupe and 350Z going without a significant re-design, the same can also be said for the Porsche 911 despite the fact the 350Z and 911 Porsche are considered as niche cars.. The point is, they're still in production and continue to do well enough in sales to remain so..

And btw: I never said that I referred to any of the 2 door sport coupes offered by the imports as awesome to begin with.. However I'm quite certain there's probably others that do..

Anyway the next 2 door sport coupes that I'm aware of which are still currently in production are the Cadillac ATS coupe, Audi TT, BMW M4 and Lexus RC sports coupe in which I also don't consider as awesome compared with the Crapmaro, Mustang and Challenger.. As neither are in the same class or category IMHO.. But they are alternatives to the current Crapmaro, S550 Mustang and Challenger never the less !
In February 2017, Mustang had 8,298 sales, almost double the Camaro's 4,658 and well ahead of the Challenger's 6,107. Those 8,298 in Mustang sales were ahead of the combined total (7,870) of the Alfa 4c, Audi TT, Audi A5, BMW Z4, BMW 2-Series, Buick Cascada, Chevy Corvette, Fiat 124, Jaguar F-Type, Lexus RC, Mercedes SLC/SLK, Nissan 370Z, Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z/Toyota 86, Porsche Boxster, and Porsche Cayman. Source: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/03...-2017-ytd.html

I give you all those numbers because whatever Ford has done with the S550 is clearly working. Mustang is the best-selling sports car in the US, by far, as well as in the world. Dislike the styling all you want but that's what Ford is looking at and those numbers are what justifies the development of the GT350, the likely GT500 coming soon, etc., not to mention Mustang even existing at all. Even if I don't think the styling is perfect either, I'll take that tradeoff all day long.

There's a HUGE difference in the Porsche 911 and the Z car approach - the styling of the 911 doesn't change much but the entire rest of the car has been updated constantly. Not true on the Z-Car.
Old 3/7/17, 04:40 PM

In February 2017, Mustang had 8,298 sales, almost double the Camaro's 4,658 and well ahead of the Challenger's 6,107. Those 8,298 in Mustang sales were ahead of the combined total (7,870) of the Alfa 4c, Audi TT, Audi A5, BMW Z4, BMW 2-Series, Buick Cascada, Chevy Corvette, Fiat 124, Jaguar F-Type, Lexus RC, Mercedes SLC/SLK, Nissan 370Z, Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z/Toyota 86, Porsche Boxster, and Porsche Cayman. Source: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/03...-2017-ytd.html

I give you all those numbers because whatever Ford has done with the S550 is clearly working. Mustang is the best-selling sports car in the US, by far, as well as in the world. Dislike the styling all you want but that's what Ford is looking at and those numbers are what justifies the development of the GT350, the likely GT500 coming soon, etc., not to mention Mustang even existing at all. Even if I don't think the styling is perfect either, I'll take that tradeoff all day long.

There's a HUGE difference in the Porsche 911 and the Z car approach - the styling of the 911 doesn't change much but the entire rest of the car has been updated constantly. Not true on the Z-Car.
Well I'm glad the current S550 is doing great in sales, however are those U.S sales numbers you posted or global ? As for the Crapmaro, I don't know if it's being sold globally or not, so that may also contribute to the S550's sales advantage as well

I'm also fully aware of the fact about the Mustang outselling the Challenger and once again, the current Mustang is being sold globally where as the Challenger is not.. However sales numbers were not the primary issues of my concern to begin with.. My concern was that if I were in the market for buying a new toy in which once again I am not, I would take a 392 Challenger Scat Pack over the current S550 hands down for the reasons I previously submitted.. And FYI, I never said that I disliked the styling of the S550, as I've submitted in these threads time and time again that I just much prefer the classic retro styling of the S197 and if it ever came down to having to get rid of my 2006 GT in order to purchase an S550, I'll still take the S197 over the current S550 for the very same reasons I'd take the 392 Challenger Scat Pack over it hands down.. At any rate, although the S550 isn't exactly my cup of tea, I really hope it continues to do well in sales and remains on top as # 1 where it belongs.. That being said, we'll just leave it at that !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/7/17 at 04:47 PM.
Old 3/8/17, 06:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I do appreciate that this forum (unlike a certain, very defensive and angry "6G" community)can note the relative sales success of the Mustang S550 without making the direct assumption that this means that the S550 is a superior car to the Camaro or Challenger 392.

If you want a muscle car for all of the reasons that we love muscle cars, the choice isn't so obvious. The Mustang is consistently the slowest accelerating of the three, has the least exciting driving experience (even with the Performance Pack) of the three (though that's somewhat subjective) and it has the same overly-soft exhaust note along with the weird firing order of the Coyote that spoils some of the classic muscle car experience.

Yeah, the 5.0L Coyote is easily one of the greatest V8 engines ever made...but the LT-1 is the ultimate evolution of the compact, pushrod classic V8 and the 392 has all the trappings of an old school big block. Both sound way better than the Coyote and both feel and sound a lot more like the muscle machines of the 60s, if that's something you're looking for.

Besides, since when is it a good thing to see a copy of your enthusiast/performance car in every Wal-Mart parking lot? All else being equal, I see high sales numbers as a reason to look elsewhere for this kind of purchase.

Don't get me wrong, if I had to buy one of the three right now, I'd probably take a 2017 S550 over a comparably priced copy of the Camaro SS or Challenger. It's a more appealing package, a better value and it has insane modding potential..but there's a reason that I've stuck with my S197 so far.

If I could justify the $45,000 for a Camaro SS1LE or a Challenger T/A 392, I might give you a different answer.

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/8/17 at 06:05 AM.
Old 3/8/17, 09:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I'm glad the current S550 is doing great in sales, however are those U.S sales numbers you posted or global ? As for the Crapmaro, I don't know if it's being sold globally or not, so that may also contribute to the S550's sales advantage as well

I'm also fully aware of the fact about the Mustang outselling the Challenger and once again, the current Mustang is being sold globally where as the Challenger is not.. However sales numbers were not the primary issues of my concern to begin with.. My concern was that if I were in the market for buying a new toy in which once again I am not, I would take a 392 Challenger Scat Pack over the current S550 hands down for the reasons I previously submitted.. And FYI, I never said that I disliked the styling of the S550, as I've submitted in these threads time and time again that I just much prefer the classic retro styling of the S197 and if it ever came down to having to get rid of my 2006 GT in order to purchase an S550, I'll still take the S197 over the current S550 for the very same reasons I'd take the 392 Challenger Scat Pack over it hands down.. At any rate, although the S550 isn't exactly my cup of tea, I really hope it continues to do well in sales and remains on top as # 1 where it belongs.. That being said, we'll just leave it at that !
That's fair. All those numbers were US only.
Old 3/8/17, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Supercharger!
Old 3/8/17, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My thoughts exactly! I'll never part with mine.
Old 3/8/17, 01:56 PM

That's fair. All those numbers were US only.
That's awesome, so let's hope the Mustang continues to stay on top as #1 in sales.. I'm also glad it finally took the #1 spot from the Camaro It's also good to know the Challenger is actually now doing better in sales over the Crapmaro as well.. Amazing how it went from being # 1 in sales to dead last
Old 3/8/17, 02:48 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
So anyways... it's a good spot to be in. Choosing between 2 great options. For option a), I already have my eyes set on either a Dodge Viper, Shelby, or M3... all used of course.
Wow, Burton.
I can't picture you as a used car guy??

Originally Posted by MRGTX
If I could justify the $45,000 for a Camaro SS1LE or a Challenger T/A 392, I might give you a different answer.
Have you tried trading in your car for a brand new Challenger T/A 392? You might just get a good deal and if you only have to pay minimal monthly payment for your new car,...it's a win. You were going to spend that anyways in upgrades, right?
(I saw a green Challenger T/A 392 today on the way home from work not too far from home. Made me do a double take. Great looking car.)
Old 3/8/17, 07:06 PM

They all have issues and complaints, regardless of the manufacturer.. Obviously Ford must be doing something right, as the Mustang took the number 1 spot from the Crapmaro in sales and now it's dead last with the Challenger now in the # 2 spot
Old 3/8/17, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Just because Mustang had more sales doesn't mean it's better;
look at all the issues & complaints...
Good lord. Go on ANY enthusiast website and you'll find lots of problems that seem like they're rampant across the range, until you remember that Ford sold 100k Mustangs last year and there's less than 0.5% of the owners on this forum.
Old 3/8/17, 09:25 PM

People bought them because of the new design, without worrying about how many bugs they will likely have

Yeah right The 2016-17 Camaro is newer in design than the current Mustang and also lighter in weight.. The S550 Mustang on the other hand is now entering it's 4th year of production.. Therefore if people are buying them because they happen to be the latest and newest design as you claim, they would now be waiting in line to buy the all new re-desgined Camaro instead rather than continue to buy a Mustang that is now in it's 4th year of production, but they aren't now are they lol.

If anything the Camaro should be mopping up the floor in sales over the Mustang as it's currently the newest and latest design, however the current S550 is not only outselling the latest and greatest Crapmaro, but it also took it's number 1 sales spot despite being the older production model..

That being said, there are bugs in every new design regardless of who the manufacturer happens to be, which is part of the reason for having warranty coverage to begin with in the first place.. Anyhow those bugs you were referring to are usually resolved and worked out following the 1st and 2nd year models.. At any rate, I don't believe for a single moment that people would continue to purchase a car when it has so many issues and problems just because it happens to offer the latest in design styling.. It just doesn't add up nor make any logical sense IMHO whatsoever, especially when there's other options/alternatives in which to choose from..
Old 3/8/17, 09:39 PM

Good lord. Go on ANY enthusiast website and you'll find lots of problems that seem like they're rampant across the range, until you remember that Ford sold 100k Mustangs last year and there's less than 0.5% of the owners on this forum.
Exactly 100% spot on.. As I couldn't had worded it any better myself
Old 3/8/17, 11:03 PM

... I mean the body style.
& yeah, people were HATING the new Stang style, & they still bought them.
& yeah, that's what i said: they bought the new style just because of the style, without waiting until they get the bugs out.
Look at all the 2015's & all the problems people were having;
when the new style cones out in 2020, they are going to sell, & they are going to be full of bugs.
& now, they are going to be refreshing the Mustang every 5 years, & updating things without improving anything!
The Camaro & Challenger haven't had major changes since they came out. Not like the Mustang has.
Just what in the hell did you think I meant.. I was also referring to the body style.. And once again, the Mustang's body style is now going on 4 years old.. As for the Camaro, you're wrong again, as it's all new and completely re-designed from the bottom up, including it's lighter Alpha platform shared with the Cadillac ATS to it's re-designed shorter wheel base and body..

First you claim people were buying 2015 Mustangs that hated the new body style and then claim they were buying them because of the new body style despite the bugs they were having.. So which is it, as you can't even keep your da*n claims straight from one moment to the next..

And FYI.. Ford is re-designing the the 2020 Mustang from the ground up and not just some freaking re-fresh.. As there isn't going to be anymore 10 year generations like there was in the past.. The current model for 2018 has already had it's re-fresh.. So just what in the hell are your talking about, as there isn't going to be any 5 year re-fresh..

As I mentioned before, there are bugs in every new model.. I don't give a rats @ss who the manufacturer is.. So whether you like it or not, that's reality and the way it is and the reason why people buy them, is because they're fully aware of the fact they are fully covered under the manufacturer's new car bumper to bumper warranty and not just because they happen to offer the latest body style in which once again doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever
Old 3/9/17, 05:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Have you tried trading in your car for a brand new Challenger T/A 392? You might just get a good deal and if you only have to pay minimal monthly payment for your new car,...it's a win. You were going to spend that anyways in upgrades, right?
(I saw a green Challenger T/A 392 today on the way home from work not too far from home. Made me do a double take. Great looking car.)
Oh yes...I've thought about it and thought about it. I'm in love with the Challenger T/A 392...

I have a couple of problems here though. My 2011 GT 300A BBP was $29k out the door with X-plan. The Challenger T/A is an incredible machine, awesome looking, amazing sounding, etc...but it's $16,000 more than my Mustang was and really no quicker in any situation?

Guess how much a 2011 GT with 30k miles is worth as a trade in! About $16k. Yeah, I know I've had almost 7 years with that car but it still looks and drives brand new and this formula feels a little bit too much like wadding up my Mustang, throwing it away and starting over entirely with payments.

It's a mental block that I haven't been able to navigate yet...which is why I'm here asking this question.