2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Deciding between the mustang and camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/09, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I won't go so far as to say the Camaro looks better than the Mustang, but I agree every time I see one I snap my head and stare at it. The thing is, around here you don't see them as much. And I live literally in between two Chevy dealers (one street over from me in each direction, owned by same people with two close locations to split up inventory). But yes, both the V6 and SS have really quiet exhausts. The interior isn't that bad in person, but still has that cartoon look. The 2010 Mustang/Ford design, materials and fit/finish are much better. And I like the seating position in the Mustang much better. I don't like laying down in my car, and the Camaro and Vette (among many high-dollar supercars) have always had that kind of seating position. Just isn't for me.

All that being said I can still say some good things about the Camaro, and hopefully GM sells every one they make. I'm not sure if we will see a Gen VI, but hopefully we do because look at the inspiration that Ford has gotten from having competition again!
Old 11/1/09, 04:30 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
I didn't get to adjust the seat back. That's all I woulda changed. Very nice in there in my eyes
Old 11/2/09, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam2004
You're coming to a Mustang forum for a non-biased answer? Not exactly the best place to start. Go look at all the articles and comparisons to date. The Mustang wins is nearly every category. In the end it's your money. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
Correct me if i am wrong here but those "wins" were totally subjective right? The camaro is the more powerful and faster car right? That is what people buying these cars are interested in. I also think the camaro looks better than the mustang gt.
Old 11/2/09, 07:10 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
If i were looking at the new Camaro's , i would atleast wait for the new engines to be released in the 2011 Mustangs before i make my final decision. In my own personal opinion i think the clown car styling of the Camaro would get old to me, sitting in my driveway after a couple of years.
Old 11/2/09, 08:29 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SCARIER
Correct me if i am wrong here but those "wins" were totally subjective right? The camaro is the more powerful and faster car right?
If that is your ONLY concern then yes... sure...

Wins were based on LOTS of other conerns.

And really when it all comes down to it, MOST people could care less if its 300, 350, 400hp...
Its a v8, sounds nice, faster than 85-95% of the cars on the road you'll encounter... and has all the liveablilty and driveability anyone would want.

Enthusaists are just a SPIT in the bucket ... and most of those people won't leave them stock anyway. It all comes down to what you want to drive, and what you are willing to live with.

To me, personally, the Camaro doesn't fit that bill.
I think it COULD look good, but when the designers put a hard crease in EVERY spare piece of real estate, the interior is hideous...and allows limited upgradability with aftermarket pieces...
and the everday driveability and lack of view... turn me off from it (not to mention the slew of already found and not yet found issues...)
Old 11/2/09, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by David Young
If i were looking at the new Camaro's , i would atleast wait for the new engines to be released in the 2011 Mustangs before i make my final decision. In my own personal opinion i think the clown car styling of the Camaro would get old to me, sitting in my driveway after a couple of years.
How do you expect to retain any credibility after such a statement?
Old 11/2/09, 10:28 AM
I Have No Life

What does anyones credibility have ANYTHING to do with opinion?

Last edited by Boomer; 11/2/09 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11/2/09, 01:05 PM

I think the simple answer is this: Go drive a camaro, go drive a mustang. Which do you like better? And if you're willing to wait a year to see what the 5.0 puts out, good for you. If you want the fastest pony car you can buy now, by all means, buy that Camaro and make yourself one happy guy!
Old 11/2/09, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I guess it wouldn't be very credible of me to say that the new Camaro looks like a Japanese anime version of a 69?

Well, doesn't it?
Old 11/2/09, 04:00 PM

like someone else said....if you want the fastest muscle car in the 30s k range then the camaro is the one.
Old 11/2/09, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sixstrings
Before I dive into this post, since no one really knows me here I should probably explain where I am coming from. My first car was a 79 camaro back in 91. I loved that car. I have owned 4, 79, 81, 91, and 2000. They were all good for me. I was among the sad when they discontinued the line and excited when they announced they were bringing it back. After my 2000 Z28 I started buying German cars. Mercedes SLK, Porsche Boxster etc. When we found out my wife was pregnant we decided it was best if she was a stay at home mom. We bought a house and the expensive car payment had to go. So now I drive a Mazda 3 . It has been almost 4 years now and I am starting to car shop again. I narrowed what I wanted down to the Mustang and the Camaro. I have never owned a Mustang, but figured it was worth a look based on all the positive reviews. I am not shopping the Chally since my boss owns one. LOL. recently I have been traveling for business. So on my last trip to Az I decided to rent a 2SS. It was an automatic, but what can you expect from a car rental place in the states. I have also been lucky enough to have a lot of time behind the wheel of a 2010 GT manual with the 3.73 "track pack". So here is what I have thought so far:

Engine: The 2SS here is much better. That engine just pulls forever. Even with the automatic it seemed much faster than the GT. I don't have any #s, but that was my impression. This is the best part of the car by far.

Handling: Here the GT was far superior. The SS understeers like no other car I have driven. Even with the bigger brakes you felt like it was handling much worse in a turn. The mustang was fluid through the turns. Here a manual makes a difference since you can downshift better than in the auto, but still it wasn't even close.

Interior: This is really subjective. The mustangs console is a bit busy. The camaro's doesn't seem like there is anything there and doesn't look as good. Materials seem nicer in the GT and as lame as it sounds, the cup holder in the SS is in the wrong place if you have a manual. The SS has the sunroof which I really like, but that is not a defining option for me. It seems to me to add a nav system into the SS you would have to redesign the interior already. Seats were decent in both, but the GTs were a little better.

Exterior: Again, really subjective. I like the way they both look, but the SS a little better. However I could see out of the GT a lot better. Also with some of the appearance options you can add in, really makes it close for me.

So here is what I am thinking; I was planning on buying a car for myself this year but I am going to wait now. That engine is intoxicating in the SS and can't be ignored. I know everyone here is a mustang loyalist and rightfully so, but that engine is amazing. It is too bad the rest of the car doesn't live up to it's potential. With everything I have read about here, the new engine in the mustang is going to have the same stats. So with that I am going to wait and if the 2011 still handles like the 2010, I will be ordering on around June next year.

For what it is worth, if I were going to buy one today, the GT would be the way I would go. Everything about the car is better than the SS except the engine. This from a Camaro fan. Seems like that is changing very soon though.
As you can see, the original question, and the point of the thread isn't just which is the fastest, but which car is more appealing OVERALL and why. Hence the handling, exterior, interior also being discussed.
Old 11/2/09, 06:28 PM
I Have No Life

like someone else said....if you want the fastest muscle car in the 30s k range, that is hard to see out of, has a plastic interior, can't go around corners as fast as a mustang, weighs almost 2 tonnes, has shifter gauges (oohhhhh..uh, no) then the camaro is the one.
Fixed
Old 11/3/09, 06:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clino
So I guess it wouldn't be very credible of me to say that the new Camaro looks like a Japanese anime version of a 69?

Well, doesn't it?
The Challenger i guess is the only American muscle car that has no asian influence?
Old 11/3/09, 04:03 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
The Challenger i guess is the only American muscle car that has no asian influence?
incorrect, it was modeled after a sumo wrestler
Old 11/3/09, 05:03 PM

Old 11/4/09, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
incorrect, it was modeled after a sumo wrestler
LOL, Jason!
Old 11/4/09, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

Boomer,

The G8 were 2008/2009 model year only. So the introduction came in 2008. I have one as my d/d.

Roger
Originally Posted by Boomer
You didn't sense the sarcasm didja?

And whether or not we see the chassis here...thats NOT the year it was created.
Just because we see a car here first in 07...if the chassis is 5 years old...its 5 years old.

My point being...people who think the 2010 platform is SO new...its not as new as you think.
And while D2C may have its roots in Dew98 and parts from the DEWlite design, the final platform was first used anywhere in 05.
Old 11/4/09, 08:59 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I just can't understand why the Challenger (MOPAR) didn't sue the Camaro (G.M.) over copyright infrigements. These two cars 'in my own opinion' look the same to me.
Old 11/4/09, 09:30 AM

I drove an automatic Camaro SS rental on a business trip.

It was fun, but not my cup of tea:

The bad:
* Exhaust was very quiet. (Maybe I am biased b/c I'm running without cats right now, but it sounded very tame to me)
* Actually sounded "bad" between 4.5k and 6k rpm. Although the exhaust was tame, the engine made all sorts of clammoring between 4.5k and 6k. It wasn't the sound of an engine purring/roaring at redline either - it sounded like I was breaking it. Clammoring is the only word to describe it. I actually drove this car under 4k RPM most of the time because it sounded like I was destroying the car when I would drive at WOT to redline.
* Visibility was bad. The A-pillar is huge. When I was making turns, whole entire cars would get lost behind the A-pillar. C-pillar - also huge. For people who say the Mustang has bad visibility - it really doesn't. I had a 4-door 2000 Volvo S70 (see huge windows) before my Mustang, and my visibility has dramatically improved in the Mustang. I used to have trouble checking my blind spot when changing lanes in the Volvo, but it's no problem with the huge glass side windows of the Mustang (hint: adjust your side mirrors so they actually look at your blind spot. If you can see the side of your car from your mirrors, you are wasting those mirrors.)

The good:
* It looked great on the outside.
* It accellerated very smoothly. In fact, the only way I actually could sense that I was accellerating very fast was the fact that the speedo would move up quickly - and cars around me would fall into my rear view very quickly. But honestly, without those indicators, I would have not felt that I was going very fast at all. I didn't hear it. I didn't feel it in the seat of my pants. Good for some people, but I like to feel the raw power.
* The car also glided over bumps and I had alot less sensation for the feel of the road through steering wheel vibrations. This may be a good thing to some people who want a quiet luxurious experience, but it made me feel numb and out of control. I lose confidence when I don't have a good feel for the road texture. This might be something you get over after getting used to the car though.
* Traction control was actually functional. In the rain, in our Mustangs, you will lurch forward and backward if you mash the pedal, as traction control cuts fuel. In the Camaro, if you mash the pedal down, the car fishtails very slightly as the computer strategically applies brakes to wheels that lose traction. And you can always turn off the TC for full-on shenanigans.

Maybe alot of the tameness may have been because this was an automatic 1SS and not a manual 2SS?
Attached Thumbnails Deciding between the mustang and camaro-1014091714-01.jpg   Deciding between the mustang and camaro-1014091714-03.jpg  

Last edited by krnpimpsta; 11/4/09 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11/4/09, 09:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats to GM. They've put a 6.2L engine in the Camaro and its faster than the 4.6L equipped Mustang. WOW! What an accomplishment. That must've been tough to do. Ford is aware of this and is addressing the issue.

I'm with you on "Clown Car Styling". There is definitely some novelty to the Camaros styling however, I still get compliments on my car after 5 years. The styling of the Camaro I don't feel will age as gracefully.

Quick Reply: Deciding between the mustang and camaro