2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dealership Oil Change Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/10, 01:50 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would agree with Brian. Everything was within a normal range.
Old 11/3/10, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Turns out they only filled them to 32psi instead of 35... So I had to fix that.
3 PSI could easily have been the difference if the tires were still warm when you took the car in when they checked it. It's not like it was 28 when it's supposed to be 35. (What does the door sticker say the inflation to be?)

Anyways, I don't always see eye to eye with dealers but if the fluid levels were ok and all the pressures were the same (albeit 3 PSI lower than what you wanted) and you've got an issue with them then good luck finding a garage that will make you happy..
Old 11/3/10, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah no wrong doing there.
Old 11/3/10, 08:36 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tr6nut
I think you are being too kind. They are a Ford dealer. If they cannot do a simple oil change on a Ford product, then they need to find some other business to get into. Preferably one where their incompetence won't affect anyone else.
Accidents happen, even on simple jobs - incompetence would be a repeated behavior. I'm a tire guy, that would be like demanding an encyclopedic knowledge of evey tire pressure and every lugnut torque value out there (anybody with a german car can tell you thats not an easy job).

I'm not saying the dealership shouldn't offer to fix the siuation somehow, but things are rarely simple as they seem.
Old 11/4/10, 06:22 AM
GT Member

Come on guys!!! Actually read the initial posts when you want to criticize... I went to the dealer, noticed the invoice only said they added and charged me for 7qts on a car with an 8qt oil pan. Wasn't able to check it till later and it turns out it was fine. Maybe the tech did his job and checked it after filling and added another quart, idk. What I do know is the dealer thought the car only needed 7qts when they should have known it needs 8. Simple really and a vaild complaint that everyone should check for when getting their 5.0's oil changed at a dealership.

As for the tires. My car was there for an hour, so the tires were cool before rotating. The door inside the car says the tires should be at 35psi, look for yourself. Maybe it is ok to have them at 32, but I expected the dealer to put them where the factory recommends, or at 35psi. It seems like the dealer did not look up the new specs of their brand new car and just assumed the proper oil levels and psi of the tires. IMO this is a terrible way to run a buisness. Now tell me where I was wrong and a that little criticizing of this particular dealer was unwarranted. I may be way off here but I expect a Ford dealer to 1) know and 2) set the parameters of any of their vehicles to factory specs during service. What else do they not know about their cars and are too lazy to look up/check?

Last edited by JobeNole44; 11/4/10 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11/4/10, 06:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
3 PSI could easily have been the difference if the tires were still warm when you took the car in when they checked it. It's not like it was 28 when it's supposed to be 35. (What does the door sticker say the inflation to be?)

Anyways, I don't always see eye to eye with dealers but if the fluid levels were ok and all the pressures were the same (albeit 3 PSI lower than what you wanted) and you've got an issue with them then good luck finding a garage that will make you happy..
Funny you should say that. I picked up a nail a while ago and took it to Discount Tires. Imagine this, they actually OPENED THE DOOR and checked the proper tire pressure as recommended by the factory and set it accordingly. No knowledge needed at all...

Also, as it cools for winter, that 32psi could easily become 30 or 29psi in a few months. When most, not me, people dont check after a service and expect the setting to be right this is not a good thing. I do not think luck is needed when it comes to finding a garage that checks its work by looking up factory specs or, in this case, simple opens the door to see recommended tire pressure.
Old 11/4/10, 07:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

cant believe your tire pressure monitors didnt go off for it being low. Im always up for calling and asking the technician. Nothing wrong with saying my car calls for 8 qts of oil. On the receipt it shows only charged for 7. Might not have charged you for the partial qt to get it to the normal level. My 98 takes 8 qts with the oil pan I have on there. and I rarely evey get more than 7.5. so you are fine. And they probably didnt check to see what the air pressure calls for.
Old 11/4/10, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Regardless of how many quarts of oil they charged, you got the correct level so where's the problem? Would you rather the lube kid (probably not a mechanic) just dumped in eight quarts and left an overfill condition? For all you know, it could be a paperwork error and you actually got eight quarts but only got charged for seven.

As for tire pressure, good shops will ask the customer if they have a preference but many shops have their own internal practices based on experience. I'm not saying it's right but it's also not an isolated situation. The door sticker has a recommended setting - one that the dealer and even the tire manufacturer may disagree with. A prime example is the under-inflation of Firestone tires recommended by Ford on Explorers... we all know what happened there. I suspect that the 35psi recommendation here is actually higher than necessary in order to live up to Ford's gas mileage claims. You should ask the dealer why the tires were set at that pressure. They may say it was a mistake or they may explain their reasoning.
Old 11/4/10, 07:19 AM

Holy Hell,
So we now come to requiring a post on a Mustang Forum to ask everyone if our dealership should have charged us for only 7 qts of oil even though the manual says it is 8 qts in the pan? Check the dipstick before you ask anyone, and know that the invoice is for the dealer to keep track of THIER supplies and costs- not to tell the owner what amount the car is required to have.

If i got charged for 3 qts and went home to see that my dipstick had clean oil and was in the NORMAL range- I would smile and know I got a deal on the oil...
That would never happen though as I change my own oil in every vehicle I have ever owned. Not one actually took the exact amount the manual recommended except for the 350ci Chevy that I built for my Hot Rod. That was a bone dry engine and took exactly the required amount.
Old 11/4/10, 08:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob
Accidents happen, even on simple jobs - incompetence would be a repeated behavior. I'm a tire guy, that would be like demanding an encyclopedic knowledge of evey tire pressure and every lugnut torque value out there (anybody with a german car can tell you thats not an easy job).

I'm not saying the dealership shouldn't offer to fix the siuation somehow, but things are rarely simple as they seem.

Actually, accidents more usually happen because of bad process or lack of following process. The dealership should have a process where (in this case) the tech should verify all torques (such as the drain plug torque) and fluid specifications (such as oil weight and quantity) with the established Ford documentation as a part of performing any task. If the dealership does not have an established process such as that, then it's an endemic failure on the dealership's part. If they do have a process like what is described above then it's the tech's fault for not following it. 25 years of systems engineering experience has taught me this.
As for your inability to remember every correct tire pressure - no one expects you to do that (remember it). However, there's a little sticker on the door jamb of almost every car that tells you the manufacturer's suggested air pressure. Failing that, you go look it up. You never should be guessing.
As for it being not easy - if it was easy, everyone would just do it themselves and you'd be out of a job. They are paying you because the job is not easy and they have a reasonable expectation that you will do the job correctly and do it correctly the first time.

Last edited by tr6nut; 11/4/10 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11/4/10, 08:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by trikwires
Holy Hell,
So we now come to requiring a post on a Mustang Forum to ask everyone if our dealership should have charged us for only 7 qts of oil even though the manual says it is 8 qts in the pan? Check the dipstick before you ask anyone, and know that the invoice is for the dealer to keep track of THIER supplies and costs- not to tell the owner what amount the car is required to have.

If i got charged for 3 qts and went home to see that my dipstick had clean oil and was in the NORMAL range- I would smile and know I got a deal on the oil...
That would never happen though as I change my own oil in every vehicle I have ever owned. Not one actually took the exact amount the manual recommended except for the 350ci Chevy that I built for my Hot Rod. That was a bone dry engine and took exactly the required amount.
WTH, who made you the forum police? I happened to look at my invoice the next morning before heading to work and noticed they may have only put 7qts in according to said invoice. So, at work with no way to check my oil level, I make a topic saying "Hey everyone, just got service done at a Ford dealer and they only put 7qts in according to the invoice. I will check it later but just in case what is everyones advice?" The problem with this is...?

And if you were in my situation and saw the next day that the invoice only said 3qts were put in, you would not worry a bit and maybe make a post about it before you were able to check. Not likely. I now know the oil level is fine. I was able to check it later and even updated my original topic. All is fine NOW. BUT... That does not vindicate the dealer that still thinks the 5.0 only takes 7qts, in any way. Why is everyone acting like even though it worked out ok it is not a problem that a Ford dealer does not know about its own vehicle? Same with the tire pressure. Is it not a problem that a Ford service center did not know or even care to look for the correct psi according to the manufacturer? Or maybe they could have walked out and asked me... Let me know if any of you feel differently than me or if you would have acted differently. Seriously, I am curious...
Old 11/4/10, 08:48 AM
GT Member

And to those who say "Well they simply charged you for 7qts after they only put 7qts in", that is incorrect. I do not have it in front of me, but the invoice says something to effect of "Coupon good for up to 5qt oil change. Add price for 2 extra quarts". THEY LISTED 7qts AS THE OIL AMOUNT REQUIRED BEFORE EVEN STARTING THE JOB. I would not have made a topic if the service manager told me that the engine requires 8qts but only took 7 so I was only charged for 2 extra quarts. This was not the case. The invoice makes it seem that this dealership thinks this engine is a 7qt engine. There lies the original problem. Just thought I would clarify...

Last edited by JobeNole44; 11/4/10 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11/4/10, 09:32 AM

OK, I see where you are going with this. You seem to be concerned with the fact that the dealer says it is a 7qt change for the 5.0 when it is actually 8.
I don't know if that info on your invoice would vary from dealer to dealer or if they are all linked in some Ford service computer database.

The way you started this thread you were all worried on what oil to use and if you should drive all the way to the dealer to tell them. A simple "hey everyone, be on the lookout as my dealer listed my car as a 7qt oil change and they 5.0's take 8..." would suffice for the thread.

Not a post police, but just seems that it read like you had to ask everyone what to do because you had not yet checked your dipstick....

To answer your inquiry, If they did not have the correct info, I would tell them and ask the dealer what oil to use to correct thier mistake. I had to inform my Toyota dealer on how to install an autostart in my Toyota Venza as they did it incorrectly and I needed to redo it right for the delayed lift gate and keyless ignition security. I provided them with complete instructions and schematics of the install I did so they could do it right in the future (mine was the first Venza they did).
Old 11/4/10, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by trikwires
OK, I see where you are going with this. You seem to be concerned with the fact that the dealer says it is a 7qt change for the 5.0 when it is actually 8.
I don't know if that info on your invoice would vary from dealer to dealer or if they are all linked in some Ford service computer database.

The way you started this thread you were all worried on what oil to use and if you should drive all the way to the dealer to tell them. A simple "hey everyone, be on the lookout as my dealer listed my car as a 7qt oil change and they 5.0's take 8..." would suffice for the thread.

Not a post police, but just seems that it read like you had to ask everyone what to do because you had not yet checked your dipstick....

To answer your inquiry, If they did not have the correct info, I would tell them and ask the dealer what oil to use to correct thier mistake. I had to inform my Toyota dealer on how to install an autostart in my Toyota Venza as they did it incorrectly and I needed to redo it right for the delayed lift gate and keyless ignition security. I provided them with complete instructions and schematics of the install I did so they could do it right in the future (mine was the first Venza they did).
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought of the forums as a place to ask people advice about things you do not know... I was worried that my Mustang was a quart low. I asked for advice and if it was okay to put a different 5W-20 synthetic blend or if I had to top it off with the same stuff the dealer used. The first reply advised me to check the dipstick anyways, which I did, and it turns out it is OK. That reply was very helpful, as are seveal others in this thread. Not to be a jerk, but you have not been helpful at all and, in fact, have been downright condescending. The only thing you have said is how this thread is unnecessary and how you can do everything for your cars by yourself. Not all of us here are gearheads and most are here trying to learn as much as possible about our beloved 'stangs. People like you, spouting off about how you only change your own oil and you had to teach a dealer how to do something, are IMO not adding anything to the discussion. Why even post here if you thought the topic was unnecessary?
Old 11/4/10, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Funny you should say that. I picked up a nail a while ago and took it to Discount Tires. Imagine this, they actually OPENED THE DOOR and checked the proper tire pressure as recommended by the factory and set it accordingly. No knowledge needed at all...

Also, as it cools for winter, that 32psi could easily become 30 or 29psi in a few months. When most, not me, people dont check after a service and expect the setting to be right this is not a good thing. I do not think luck is needed when it comes to finding a garage that checks its work by looking up factory specs or, in this case, simple opens the door to see recommended tire pressure.
But you don't check your oil level after service? You should be checking it at the dealer (hell mine shows me the dipstick himself if I want him to) before you drive away. Dealers (or even lube shops) rarely put in bottled oil anymore, it's all done by bulk, the guy dials in a volume (usually a litre low) and tops it up using the dipstick as a guide like he's supposed to, like you're supposed to if you're changing your own oil. Most people here will tell you that during an oil change you rarely use the volume of oil listed in the spec charts. Why? Because the spec chart is listing from empty, not for an oil change --it accounts for oil stuck in the oil galleries, oil coolers, rocker covers or the other hump of a double-hump oilpan. Think of it as a "guide" as to how much oil you should have on hand when you do an oil change.

As for your tire concern; look, I've been working on cars for 30 years, driving for 27 and building them for 22. 2 or 3 PSI low is not a big deal. It's better than 2-3 pounds too high. What is important is that they are all equal to get even tire wear.

Another point. When was the last time your tire gauge was calibrated? You do understand that they need calibrated to measure correctly, right? But nobody does it, everyone assumes that the $3 tire gauge or even a $30 digital one is correct. But I assure you that you take 5 tire gauges and check them on the same tire and you will rarely get the same measurement out of them. Your personal gauge might actually be reading low.

[Side note: Same with a torque wrenches. At the my factory the equipment is checked daily, every torqued bolt is checked against a master gauge, because the values do change. But rarely do home mechanics or even professional ones get them calibrated. That's why when a torque spec says "105-117ftlbs" I torque it to 115 not 105 to allow for inaccuracies of the gauge.]

At any rate, I'm not always the biggest fan of dealers but you're making a mountain out of a molehill here, and lashing out at people trying to help. If you have a concern with this dealer's work, call the maintenance supervisor and ask him a question first, maybe there's a reason behind it; it's just as easy as posting here and you hear it from the horse's mouth. If they screwed up, give them a chance to make it right. If you're unhappy with the dealer, go to another one, problem solved.

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 11/4/10 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11/4/10, 02:38 PM

JobeNole44,
I love Mustang enthusiasts- I apologize for pissing you off here as that was not my intentions. I know forums can be taken a little different as there is no voice inflection behind the cold words on the screen.
I will just say I am jealous of you as I do not even have a Mustang of my own to check the dipstick on...
Old 11/4/10, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

This topic is too funny.
Old 11/5/10, 08:00 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tr6nut
Actually, accidents more usually happen because of bad process or lack of following process. The dealership should have a process where (in this case) the tech should verify all torques (such as the drain plug torque) and fluid specifications (such as oil weight and quantity) with the established Ford documentation as a part of performing any task. If the dealership does not have an established process such as that, then it's an endemic failure on the dealership's part. If they do have a process like what is described above then it's the tech's fault for not following it. 25 years of systems engineering experience has taught me this.
I pretty much agree with what your saying, but even in a best case scenario you have outliers like a pure ***** of a boss who doesn't have a problem exploding on a tech like a nucle... anti-matter bomb. I know from experience, and not from being on the recieving end. To put it nicely, I rattled a compentent tech one time so bad, bad things happened. Even when the best systems are in place, your still dealing with humans who depsite the best efforts of experts are still fallible squishy bags of meat as opposed to infallible squishy meat machines.