2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Custom Order worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/14, 07:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoopy49
Jeff,
When does the 2014MY Mustang order bank close?
Hey bud, its still not listed on my timing sheets. Only some of the '15 MY vehicles are listed (and when they are, the '14 MY balance out is also listed). When I find out, I'll post it in the forum.
Old 1/20/14, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once you have a properly executed contract between you and the dealer to purchase the car you can not back out because you change your mind. Unless there is a clause written to allow you to void the contract it is no different than buying off of the lot. The dealer can sue you for breach of contract. The remedy would be to put them in the place they would have been had the contract been fully fulfilled.
Old 1/20/14, 10:44 AM

Well thanks to Jeff (god bless him!!!) I was able to email my VOC and after only TWO calls to different dealers I was offered :

Invoice price with NO dealer fee!!! Can it get any better then this???

Just waiting for a 750$ coupon and I will be one step closer to making my dream a reality!
Old 1/20/14, 10:47 AM

Congrats. You will love it.
Old 1/20/14, 10:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by MCA14OMG
Well thanks to Jeff (god bless him!!!) I was able to email my VOC and after only TWO calls to different dealers I was offered :

Invoice price with NO dealer fee!!! Can it get any better then this???

Just waiting for a 750$ coupon and I will be one step closer to making my dream a reality!
Congrats buddy!! I'm so glad I could help. The wait will fly by & your gonna be driving your Mustang. Enjoy it bud.
Old 1/20/14, 11:27 AM
Banned

I'd order now. You'll have some time for the coupons to come in the mail.
Old 1/20/14, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The only problem with buying one off the lot .. even if exactly like you want .. is its been sitting out in the weather. Not that this is bad .. but .. if its a dark color .. then its probably been washed a dozen times but some idiot using a brush and a bucket of dirty water. I guarantee it is so covered with spider web scratches and swirl marks it looks terrible in the sun.

I was at a dealer the other day waiting on an oil change ... my son and I walked the lot looking at all the cars for swirl marks ... every car on the lot was covered in them.
Old 1/20/14, 12:20 PM

I have requested a brochure be sent by calling their Marketing Dept (1800-334-4375) and made sure to have them put in their that I am requesting a coupon.

I have also tried like three times online but when I do it that way it gives it to me instantly.
Although I have read the brochure top to bottom I see nothing about a coupon..
Is it generated randomly so I just have to keep trying? Or should I use different email addresses??

ONCE AGAIN I LOVE YOU ALLL!!!!!

Forgot to add the car will be final specs ::

2014 MUSTANG V6 PREMiUM 203A (MCA)

Oxford White
Charcoal Black Recaro's
Rear View Camera

If I can afford the seats if not maybe the same setup just Saddle or Black!!!!
Old 1/20/14, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Just to clear up a misconception. Someone had mentioned that you get the best rebate deal anywhere from when you order to when you receive, and anything in between. That's not strictly true. You get the better rebates in effect on just two dates: when you order, or when you it arrives. (and pay attention to the expiry on your $750 coupon too)

In my case:

Ordered August - GREAT rebates
September - BEST rebates
Car arrived October - WORST rebates

In this case, I should have gotten the August "GREAT" rebates.

However, once September hit, I had a chat with my dealership and they were willing to sign off to cover the difference if October was worse than September (which is was). If I hadn't had that chat, then I would have gotten the August rebates. I feel badly that the dealer had to eat the difference out of their pocket - but that's the way that Ford HQ does the rebates.

Also, as to contracts - I read mine carefully - if I didn't take possession as agreed when the car arrived, I was technically liable for the costs incurred by the dealership to sell the car elsewhere. Though I doubt they would bother to sue -> they would probably just pocket the deposit and put the onus on me legally to try to retrieve it.

And another little tidbit: if the car wasn't delivered in 90 days, the deal would be cancelled unless both myself and the dealership mutually agreed to extend it. And in so doing - deposit would be returned.

Read your contract - it may differ.
Old 1/20/14, 12:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Now, that was easy. Congratulations on the order, and welcome to the forum. Also, I don't think you will do any better than invoice, and no dealer fee's. Let the wait begin.

Send for a coupon in your Wifey's name also. She may be the lucky one.

Last edited by wanted33; 1/20/14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 1/20/14, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
The only problem with buying one off the lot .. even if exactly like you want .. is its been sitting out in the weather. Not that this is bad .. but .. if its a dark color .. then its probably been washed a dozen times but some idiot using a brush and a bucket of dirty water. I guarantee it is so covered with spider web scratches and swirl marks it looks terrible in the sun.

I was at a dealer the other day waiting on an oil change ... my son and I walked the lot looking at all the cars for swirl marks ... every car on the lot was covered in them.
Agreed, this is why if/when I place my order I am going to be adamant that the car NOT be prepped, I want to be there to take the plastic off it myself as it comes off the truck and want zero exterior prep done.

I've seen literally hundreds of cars on lots with bad swirls due to poor prep that were already in need of a paint correction to remove the swirls; I'd hate to buff a brand new car because clear coat isn't a renewable resource.

Also if you buy off the lot in winter, beware - for some reason everyone (not just dealers) feels like they need to remove the snow from the vehicle down to the paint, scraping the dirty paint with either a snow brush or a rubber squeegee *shudder*

Also if you are buying a red or silver car off the lot, hopefully it hasn't been baking in the summer sun day in, day out, with no wax or sealant on it for months - red and silver fade the quickest due to just a general lack of pigment in red and silver paints (though much harder to really realize on silver). On that note I wouldn't really want to buy any car that's been sitting on the lot for X months due to "lot rot".

Basically, ordering is the way to go if you are a car guy, unless you get lucky and exactly what you wants happens to come off the truck by chance when you are there. All this said though, if you find what you want on a lot and it hasn't been there very long (based on build date), as long as you comb over it and it looks good and they didn't swirl the hell out of it during prep, then you may as well pick it up.

Last edited by puma1552; 1/20/14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 1/20/14, 05:49 PM

Well I have run into a little snag and would like some advice!

Dealer says I can put down the 500$ to order the car but I "HAVE TO BUY IT"
That I would be signing some sort of contract and I cannot back out of it once ordered...
I called around and got mixed answers from other dealers what is the REAL answer???

And after running the numbers aparantly even with the 750$ coupon I still wont be able to afford Recaro's

Last edited by MCA14OMG; 1/20/14 at 05:51 PM.
Old 1/20/14, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

That I would be signing some sort of contract and I cannot back out of it once ordered...
I called around and got mixed answers from other dealers what is the REAL answer???

And after running the numbers aparantly even with the 750$ coupon I still wont be able to afford Recaro's

I think you should step back from this dealer and transaction, read up a bit more on what people in this thread and others have said, collect your thoughts, and reattempt.

I get the feeling the dealer can sense your inexperience and is taking full advantage of it, so I'd go elsewhere.

-Figure out what options you want and exactly how much you can afford
-Figure out price of car (should be invoice - rebates - coupon for special order)
-Figure out doc fee (should be no more than $100, a lot of dealers try and charge an asinine $600 to file a couple forms) and any other associated fees (really should just be tax, registration, and doc fee with no other BS IIRC from buying my current car)
-Figure out down payment amount and financing details
-Figure out trade (if applicable but sounds like it isn't)
-Order vehicle with REFUNDABLE (for any reason) $500 deposit

You should be able to order the car with a refundable deposit and not need to sign any contracts prior; what if the car comes off the truck and has transit damage? What if the guy backs it off the truck too fast and slams the underneath side of the front bumper against the tracks of the truck it's being backed off of? What if they pull it into the service bay and put it on the lift during prep and the car falls off the lift (seen it happen)? Etc., etc. There are plenty of reasons why you should not be held to buy something sight unseen, only sign AFTER the car has come in and you've had a chance to give it a good once over and make sure everything is ok. Once you are happy with it and it's ready to go, THEN sign papers.
Old 1/20/14, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I used this site to price my car before ordering.

www.truecar.com/prices-new/ford/mustang-pricing/

You can completely configure the car with colors and options you want, just like on Ford's site. Then you will see the MSRP and a target price that is a price for which you should be able to buy the car, obviously not including taxes, etc. The next step is to 'register' with TrueCar. They then provide contact info for several dealers in your area and send those dealers your contact info. Their target price is a very aggressive price.

I selected my local dealer and went in to discuss my purchase. I told the salesman I had priced the car through TrueCar and he reacted as if there is some sort of contractual relationship between TrueCar and the dealers where the dealer has to meet or beat the target price. I showed him the printout with the target price and he beat it by a little.
Old 1/20/14, 06:32 PM
Banned

how can you "have" to buy it if you haven't signed the financing paperwork or anything else? that's just smoke and mirrors. People order cars and back out all the time.

Hell my car was first built incorrectly (there's a black GT Vert out there w/ all the same options as my car) and they had to redo it. I didn't have to buy the bad order. Nor did I have to buy the correct order.
Old 1/20/14, 06:43 PM

I was their personally today and pretty much said the opposite "if we order it it's yours" they wanted me to do a credit app but I denied it.

I have other dealer options but they all want more then invoice..
Or a few that will match invoice but want like 700$ dealer fee's

This was the ''best choice'' @ invoice price & NO fee (100$ or less doc fee + tax & tag)
Old 1/20/14, 06:45 PM
Banned

they legally can't make you sign any paperwork or even financing until the car is there ready to go.

Since you want the MCA why not join the MCA? then you're guaranteed X-Plan pricing
Old 1/20/14, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
they legally can't make you sign any paperwork or even financing until the car is there ready to go.

Since you want the MCA why not join the MCA? then you're guaranteed X-Plan pricing
And you can go to another dealer and the doc fee is capped at $100 per X-Plan rules. The dealer requiring a deposit isn't wrong. Whenever I order a car, I only ask for $500, but the customer can always back out. Their problem is that if you back out, they might feel the may not be able to sell the car as equipped.

Chris, I would call a few dealers and ask if they would do X-Plan. Its still good deal all the way around (for both buyer & dealer). If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call at my store tomorrow after 3 pm (were expecting 6-10 inches of snow so we may not be open too late). I'm always here to help.

Jeff
Old 1/20/14, 07:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My dealer only made me put $100 down...though this is second car I have ordered there.....
Old 1/20/14, 07:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by JCStang
My dealer only made me put $100 down...though this is second car I have ordered there.....
And that is perfect, since your a repeat customer. I do the same. But for people I haven't done business with, $500 for an order is totally fair.

Quick Reply: Custom Order worth it?