2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Current Life Cycle Ends in 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/09, 03:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they should have ditched the black plastic. Who cares if it makes the car look smaller if it looks like crap? Also they should have not pinched the corners and went straight across the back. Leave the concave deck panel yet have 3 seperate lights leaving a space in between each giving them a concave look putting the reverse lights somewhere in the bumper ala Camaro.
Old 10/31/09, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Me too.

Happened twice yesterday.
I thought I was just being anxious about seeing the new ones and mistaking the '05-'09s for 2010s! Guess I'm not the only one!
Old 10/31/09, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think there is only one way to settle this. As soon as I have time...or if someone else wants to, I think we need a survey thread on the 2010 design. Huh? huh?
Old 10/31/09, 10:18 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino
I think there is only one way to settle this. As soon as I have time...or if someone else wants to, I think we need a survey thread on the 2010 design. Huh? huh?
Go ahead, we've done it several times. Most people like it. It's the same 5-10 repeating over and over how much they don't.
Old 11/1/09, 09:12 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MARZ
I still don't know what data you're going by.
One thread in particular before TMS crashed was huge... and I think it was Tampa Bear? that really liked the '10 and posted pic after pic after pic of old and new stangs. I remember because his pics were huge files and my crapo Hughes internet wouldn't load the thread without refreshing a couple of times - each day that I would catch up on the thread. This was before the '10 hit the streets. That thread (and others) drew a lot of point/counter point with a lot of negs toward the '10 design - although most like the improved interior. A lot of the discussion was about the design cues - whether it was from bits of past Mustangs vs looking too Camaro in the front and Japa Euro in the rear with the curved butt and strange diaper on a Mustang. Even Ford guy 'groot' got involved briefly (before he requested his posts be withdrawn) because there was a lot of flack being thrown at Ford on the threads. Do you remember these?

Look, I'm not all fired up with my few comments, so don't read it that way. I'm just joining the discussion about the article's comment on the 10/11 'life cycle' and what that might mean. Maybe it doesn't mean anything and I am reading into it. If I made the decision to buy the '10 I would be extremely proud of my Mustang and wouldn't care what anyone else says. Just like how I feel about my decision to order my Bullitt.
Old 11/1/09, 09:59 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by cdynaco
One thread in particular before TMS crashed was huge... and I think it was Tampa Bear? that really liked the '10 and posted pic after pic after pic of old and new stangs. I remember because his pics were huge files and my crapo Hughes internet wouldn't load the thread without refreshing a couple of times - each day that I would catch up on the thread. This was before the '10 hit the streets. That thread (and others) drew a lot of point/counter point with a lot of negs toward the '10 design - although most like the improved interior. A lot of the discussion was about the design cues - whether it was from bits of past Mustangs vs looking too Camaro in the front and Japa Euro in the rear with the curved butt and strange diaper on a Mustang. Even Ford guy 'groot' got involved briefly (before he requested his posts be withdrawn) because there was a lot of flack being thrown at Ford on the threads. Do you remember these?

Look, I'm not all fired up with my few comments, so don't read it that way. I'm just joining the discussion about the article's comment on the 10/11 'life cycle' and what that might mean. Maybe it doesn't mean anything and I am reading into it. If I made the decision to buy the '10 I would be extremely proud of my Mustang and wouldn't care what anyone else says. Just like how I feel about my decision to order my Bullitt.
I'm just goatin' ya, charliehorse. You know I love ya'!

Really, though, even if every single person perusing these forums were to unanimously say, "Hey, we hate the new Mustang," that in itself would not mean the new 'Stang is a flop (collectively, we hardly represent a fraction of the buying public). And I know the thread you're referring to and, again, there were several people who stood up for the car, saying they loved it. stangfoeva's right, too, in that we've had survey after survey asking those what they though about the new Mustang, and they were all in favor of the new design. I even remember a survey regarding the 2010's rear -- obviously, the most controversial aspect of the new design. The results were more positive than you might expect.

So, as stated several times before, just because you're the loudest, it doesn't necessarily mean you're in the majority, or right.
Old 11/1/09, 10:00 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

I don't remember the "groot threads" being anything about the 2010's asthetics. Groot is / was a suspension engineer, if I remember correctly, and has ZERO influence on the design of the car.
Old 11/1/09, 10:21 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by MARZ
I don't remember the "groot threads" being anything about the 2010's asthetics. Groot is / was a suspension engineer, if I remember correctly, and has ZERO influence on the design of the car.
Right. But he did make a few comments defending the design after some not so complimentary comments from posters. One was to the effect that the front of the '10 was on the drawing board before the Camaro was released, so the Mustang did not copy the Camaro according to him. Whether that is accurate or not I cannot say.

Likewise, just because some '10 supporters are loud, doesn't make 'em right. I'll betcha a six pack the '10 rear end doesn't last long.

Its all good... we're all Mustang friends and that's most important.

Carry on.

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/1/09 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11/1/09, 10:25 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is correct.
The 2010 design was locked before the 2009 (then 10) Camaro was even shown.
Old 11/1/09, 11:19 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Boomer
This is correct.
The 2010 design was locked before the 2009 (then 10) Camaro was even shown.
Well that confirms my hunch then... the '10, the Camaro, and the Challenger designers were ALL influenced by cartoon cars after taking their kids to the movie Cars!
Old 11/1/09, 11:23 AM
GT Member

Every time I see a 2010 Stang, I think it's a Lexus or some other foreign car until I get closer. You can't mistake the 05-09 Stang from a distance. Most people I run into say the same thing.
Old 11/1/09, 11:46 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
every time I see a 2010 I think wow that white haired man bought a sports car.
Old 11/1/09, 01:39 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by The Beast
Every time I see a 2010 Stang, I think it's a Lexus or some other foreign car until I get closer. You can't mistake the 05-09 Stang from a distance. Most people I run into say the same thing.
Every time I see a 2010 'Stang, I think it's a 2005-2009 'Stang, until I get closer.
Old 11/1/09, 01:41 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Right. But he did make a few comments defending the design after some not so complimentary comments from posters. One was to the effect that the front of the '10 was on the drawing board before the Camaro was released, so the Mustang did not copy the Camaro according to him. Whether that is accurate or not I cannot say.

Likewise, just because some '10 supporters are loud, doesn't make 'em right. I'll betcha a six pack the '10 rear end doesn't last long.

Its all good... we're all Mustang friends and that's most important.

Carry on.
Maybe you're right. The rear end is the only thing I'd like to see fixed, and that isn't even a deal breaker for me. Maybe if the black plastic were integrated better, and didn't "jut" out. We've seen pics of the black plastic painted body color, and that definitely isn't a fix, IMO!
Old 11/2/09, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Exactly, think of who Ford is still in cahoots with at the Flatrock facility, but is suddenly uncomfortably distant from on a corporate level. The Ford-Mazda relationship apparently went cold very, very quickly following the Ford sell-off of a large portion of their stake in the brand. Given this, their rather cozy agreement with Mazda as relates to the Auto Alliance facility has to be uncomfortable now for various reasons. I have had the distinct feeling that Ford is looking for an excuse to get out of Flatrock without making more of a stink than necessary for some time now, and were I a betting man I would wager that we can expect to see Ford continue to distance itself from Mazda over the next several years.

Put more simply, I very seriously doubt that the rear end of any car has anything to do with this.
Why did Ford sell off their stake in Mazda anyway? Considering that the Duratec 4-cylinders and the MZR 4-cylinders are essentially the same engine, not to mention the fact that the current Fusion and Mazda 6 share the same basic platform, and the fact that the new-for-2010 Mazda 3 is essentially the second-generation Focus that is being sold over in Europe, I was under the impression that the 2 companies were, for lack of a better term, "joined at the hip".
Old 11/2/09, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
Why did Ford sell off their stake in Mazda anyway? Considering that the Duratec 4-cylinders and the MZR 4-cylinders are essentially the same engine, not to mention the fact that the current Fusion and Mazda 6 share the same basic platform, and the fact that the new-for-2010 Mazda 3 is essentially the second-generation Focus that is being sold over in Europe, I was under the impression that the 2 companies were, for lack of a better term, "joined at the hip".
They were until Ford had to sell stock and cut costs as part of the move back to profitability.

Roger
Old 11/2/09, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
As for the unions, well, unions will always vote and lobby and fight for higher pay at the expense of fewer jobs. This is definitely the wrong day and age to choose fewer jobs over higher wages though. An adage about feet and shooting comes to mind.
I think that pretty much sums it up.
Old 11/2/09, 02:34 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
FMC still has a ~13% stake in Mazda (maybe a little lower). FMC sold 20% of it's stake last fall. As an American company FMC was only allowed to "own" 33% of the Japanese firm, but they did have controlling stake . . .
Old 11/4/09, 02:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what ever
i am the white haired man driving a mustang
and i can still bench press more than you
so new plant in 2011?
Old 11/4/09, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll betcha a six pack the '10 rear end doesn't last long.
Hmm. Well, it took Ford six years to get the S197 right so I'll take the bet.

Quick Reply: Current Life Cycle Ends in 2011?