Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is colored stripe on some seats indicative of exterior color?

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/17, 08:39 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Is colored stripe on some seats indicative of exterior color?

Is the colored stripe running vertically down the center on some seats indicative of exterior color?

For instance, in the pic below, the stripe is blue, so does that mean the exterior would normally be blue? The reason I ask is that the car exterior color is actually white, which I find very puzzling. The car is 2010 GT Premium with IUP and all options, including glass roof. I'm interested in buying the car, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks for any help! Dave F. in RI

Old 2/6/17, 09:15 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo88
Is the colored stripe running vertically down the center on some seats indicative of exterior color?

For instance, in the pic below, the stripe is blue, so does that mean the exterior would normally be blue? The reason I ask is that the car exterior color is actually white, which I find very puzzling. The car is 2010 GT Premium with IUP and all options, including glass roof. I'm interested in buying the car, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks for any help! Dave F. in RI

That's the 401A interior and it was an upgrade over the standard leather in the GT Premium from 2010-2014. It was available in black/cashmere stripe, black/grabber blue stripe, and red/cashmere stripe.

Black/cashmere was available in any exterior color

Black/Grabber Blue was available with white, silver, Grabber Blue, DIB, Kona (I think), SGM, and black exteriors

Red/cashmere could be had with white, black, silver, SGM, Race Red, DIB, and Candy Apple red exteriors.

It's not unusual to see a white GT with the black/Grabber Blue 401A package.

I have a black 14 GT 'vert with the 401A black/Cashmere interior.
The following users liked this post:
Mojo88 (2/6/17)
Old 2/6/17, 09:20 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Old 2/6/17, 05:27 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
That's the 401A interior and it was an upgrade over the standard leather in the GT Premium from 2010-2014. It was available in black/cashmere stripe, black/grabber blue stripe, and red/cashmere stripe.

Black/cashmere was available in any exterior color

Black/Grabber Blue was available with white, silver, Grabber Blue, DIB, Kona (I think), SGM, and black exteriors

Red/cashmere could be had with white, black, silver, SGM, Race Red, DIB, and Candy Apple red exteriors.

It's not unusual to see a white GT with the black/Grabber Blue 401A package.

I have a black 14 GT 'vert with the 401A black/Cashmere interior.
That is a very good explanation. I have the black/cashmere 401A interior on my Red Candy 2011. When I was shopping I liked the feel of the 401A seats better than the standard GT premium. They just seemed to fit me a little better.
Old 2/6/17, 07:24 PM
FR500 Member

Mine....
Attached Thumbnails Is colored stripe on some seats indicative of exterior color?-012.jpg  
Old 2/6/17, 09:52 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
TripleBlack14's posts are spot on...

And here is mine... Sterling Gray exterior with the 401a interior, Black/Cashmere. And no exterior Ford stripes.

If it was not an option ordered from the factory some dealers might add exterior stripes that match the interior striping. I have see a few white exteriors with the grabber blue interior stripe. They had the lemans style stripes in grabber blue on the exterior. But this was never a fixed requirement. I have seen others with no exterior striping like mine.

I have the Glasstop. That is a great option and you will love it. Kind of a rare find. That option was new with the 2009 models.

Just remember that the 2010 is not a very beloved model year. It got the updated looks of the refresh to the S197, but it was left the power train of the original S197 models. The 2011 - 2014 have the drive train update to the 5.0 coyote engine. This motor provides significant improvements in HP.
Attached Images  

Last edited by shaneyusa; 2/6/17 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mojo88 (2/7/17)
Old 2/7/17, 03:54 AM
FR500 Member

The 401A interior is my favorite cosmetic feature on my 2014, as well as any S197 for that matter. The car really pops, especially on a ragtop, but I'm biased in that regard. I get an enormous amount of compliments at shows and cruise nights. I never cared for white stripes on black so I opted for aftermarket silver LeMans stripes. The combo works well.

I bought mine off the floor in May '14 after the cut-off when an S197 could no longer be ordered. My first choice was black with the red/cashmere 401A but the dealer couldn't locate one with a stick. One of the members here, Icyknight, has the red 401A on his black 'vert and it's drop dead gorgeous. Maybe he'll post some recent pics.
Old 2/7/17, 08:27 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
TripleBlack14's posts are spot on...

And here is mine... Sterling Gray exterior with the 401a interior, Black/Cashmere. And no exterior Ford stripes.

If it was not an option ordered from the factory some dealers might add exterior stripes that match the interior striping. I have see a few white exteriors with the grabber blue interior stripe. They had the lemans style stripes in grabber blue on the exterior. But this was never a fixed requirement. I have seen others with no exterior striping like mine.

I have the Glasstop. That is a great option and you will love it. Kind of a rare find. That option was new with the 2009 models.

Just remember that the 2010 is not a very beloved model year. It got the updated looks of the refresh to the S197, but it was left the power train of the original S197 models. The 2011 - 2014 have the drive train update to the 5.0 coyote engine. This motor provides significant improvements in HP.

Man, that's all great info, thanks, especially the stuff about the drive train! I definitely gotta do more studying up. There are so many models and variations on Mustangs.

Your car is beautiful. I like the sedate look and the stripe-delete. I'm not a fanboy of the gigantic stripes, unless they are 'ghosted' on.

I have been looking seriously at a 2010 car, would you pass on it? I talked to the seller at length, and he seems like honest, straightforward guy. He did a lot of work to the car. Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Ford-Mustang-GT-Premium-Supercharged-/222399930098?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33c8119ef2:g :920AAOSwUsJYWolL&item=222399930098

Last edited by Mojo88; 2/7/17 at 08:41 AM.
Old 2/7/17, 08:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
The 401A interior is my favorite cosmetic feature on my 2014, as well as any S197 for that matter. The car really pops, especially on a ragtop, but I'm biased in that regard. I get an enormous amount of compliments at shows and cruise nights. I never cared for white stripes on black so I opted for aftermarket silver LeMans stripes. The combo works well.

I bought mine off the floor in May '14 after the cut-off when an S197 could no longer be ordered. My first choice was black with the red/cashmere 401A but the dealer couldn't locate one with a stick. One of the members here, Icyknight, has the red 401A on his black 'vert and it's drop dead gorgeous. Maybe he'll post some recent pics.

Your car is sweet, no doubt. I looked at your 'album' (something I rarely do) and must compliment you on the series of pro-level photos. Very nice pics there.... worthy of a magazine.

I especially like the dog, haha (car always come second next to a good dog). And the vintage plane pic was good too.
Old 2/7/17, 09:01 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine also has a different color stripe than the exterior of the car. 2010 premium convertible. Black exterior but has white stripes on the seats, I actually like it, it offsets the interior.
Old 2/7/17, 02:33 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 2010. They are still great fun and reliable cars. They share the engine that was used in the 2005-2009 models. 4.6L with about 300hp stock. They just don't seem to get a lot of love. I think most of it comes from the next year has the same look but was the intro of the 5.0 coyote engine delivering 411hp. And even more in following years. Most will just move up one year, with very little in $$$ to get a quicker car.

And Thanks for the complements!

Last edited by shaneyusa; 2/7/17 at 04:49 PM.