2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Cant believe what just unfolded---------

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/10, 07:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Glad your alright for the most part. Pics and more details on how it happened????
Old 6/7/10, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juliotheman
**** man sorry to hear that.
Good thing the troopers had your back, or you mighta been hit from behind, too.
Old 6/7/10, 07:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by silverbull271
I was rolled away into an abulance---kind of hard to take pics when your braced in and wont even let you pick up your head for 4 hours!

Afterwards when i went to lot, i was so "weary" i just wanted to get my stuff out of car and go the F home -----

Car is being towed to the dealership where i purchased it as i type---they are approved by my insurance company-so they can do the estimate, no need for an adjuster

Im sore and achy, cuts and burns but what hurts the most believe it or not, is my arm where they gave me tetinus shot

PS:Thaks to all those with the heartfelt words----it truly was a "traumatic" experience, one that i wld never wish on my worst enemy
That, friend, is a good day after a crash.
Old 6/7/10, 07:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wrecks are terrible and no one should have to endure these things. Sorry to hear about the wreck. Glad you are ok, or as ok enough to send some messages. Best of luck man, I have been there a few times. If it makes you feel any better, at least you weren't hit by a road side bomb! Close enough though, I suppose!

I am blown away by the glass in your hands and you hitting the windshield, this is highly concerning as to the nature of the car in a crash and why there was so much debris. The car is one of the safest on the market. I hardly ever worry about the frontal glass being an issue as by how much insulation the windshield uses as a saftey measure to keep the glass as shaterproof as possible. Anyway, I don't have to know what happened to you specifically siverbull I am just in awe really. I can't imagine that with this type of damage that your car would even be repairable and if so would it be worth the cost to fix from anyones standpoint not to mention unless body shops have become magicians I have yet to drive a wrecked vehicle that didn't have a new set of issues. All that said, the only speculations I have are that you might have hit a Moose!

I don't have to know, just sayin'...gotta be a Moose!
Old 6/7/10, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Seriously, silverbull- don't worry too much about the car. I know, I know... it easy for me to say because it isn't my car. The important thing is that you are ok, and it doesn't sound like anyone else was hurt either. This is why you have insurance.
Old 6/7/10, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reared an suv----i was only going 20-25 mph too

EDIT: A slow 20-25mph (not accelerating)

Last edited by silverbull271; 6/7/10 at 08:55 AM.
Old 6/7/10, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

reared an suv----i was only going 20-25 mph too
EDIT: A slow 20-25mph (not accelerating)
Most people do not realize how much energy there is even at 20-25 MPH. These cars are designed to withstand a 45 MPH head-on frontal hit without driver or passenger injury. I'm glad to hear you are okay though. One note about driver position though is that typically you want at least 18" between your chest and the steering wheel. This minimizes the risk of getting injured by the airbag itself. I really dont know much about your situation, but it sounds to me like you were too close to the wheel and that caused a lot of your injuries.
Old 6/7/10, 10:21 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JScottGT
Most people do not realize how much energy there is even at 20-25 MPH. These cars are designed to withstand a 45 MPH head-on frontal hit without driver or passenger injury. I'm glad to hear you are okay though. One note about driver position though is that typically you want at least 18" between your chest and the steering wheel. This minimizes the risk of getting injured by the airbag itself. I really dont know much about your situation, but it sounds to me like you were too close to the wheel and that caused a lot of your injuries.
I'm short, and that's something I've thought about before is the distance from the wheel...
Even if I'm figuring out the distance from the seat/wheel by putting my wrist on the top of the wheel as a guage, I feel I'm too close.
Old 6/7/10, 10:33 AM
Banned

UPDATE--------

Just spoke with my dealership----car is already there.

They said the exact thing about seat being to close, AND leaning forward------so i got it both! i got the head in windshield (which by the way he said my hair was actually still stuck in the glass) and the seat belt whip on my belly (wasnt airbag but belt that hurt my belly

As for damage---

All front end/Hood, windshield and 1 fender-----(miricaulosly my black vanity plate doesnt have a scracth on it)

They said it should be done and ready in a week

Think it will still feel new? only had 450 miles on ODO

As for me im beyond achey and feel terrible----

to be honest im very traumitized! almost to the point where i dont wanna get in a car!
Old 6/7/10, 10:39 AM
FR500 Member

UPDATE--------

Just spoke with my dealership----car is already there.

They said the exact thing about seat being to close, AND leaning forward------so i got it both! i got the head in windshield (which by the way he said my hair was actually still stuck in the glass) and the seat belt whip on my belly (wasnt airbag but belt that hurt my belly

As for damage---

All front end/Hood, windshield and 1 fender-----(miricaulosly my black vanity plate doesnt have a scracth on it)

They said it should be done and ready in a week

Think it will still feel new? only had 450 miles on ODO

As for me im beyond achey and feel terrible----

to be honest im very traumitized! almost to the point where i dont wanna get in a car!
If it will be done in a week then I would expect that none of the structural bits have been damaged.
Old 6/7/10, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think it will be fine. It sounds like there wasn't any unibody damage, so it should drive exactly the same.
Old 6/7/10, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear this, i can only imagine what you must be going through.
Old 6/7/10, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
If it will be done in a week then I would expect that none of the structural bits have been damaged.
Not necessarily, even a 5 mph bump causes some structural damage. More than likely a new front crash structure will need to be grafted in. I wouldn't be too concerned with that though. Most body shops, including one at the dealer have particular dimensions they need to get the car back to for it to be acceptable. THey should have no issue with getting it back to the shape you are used to seeing. When you get your vehicle back, pay close attention to the fits between the hood/fender and the fender/door. They are supposed to be a constant 5mm (just under 1/4") margin gap. If the gaps are not consistant, have them re-fit the panels. The door, fender, and hood all have some level of adjustment to them. The nice thing about your car being so new is that they will not have to mess much with blending the paint to match as it has not had time to fade yet.

Last edited by JScottGT; 6/7/10 at 11:35 AM.
Old 6/7/10, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Hair in the glass? That must have been some head-but. It sounds like you did an inverted submarine ( judges love it but it's difficult to pull off ). Submarining, for those that don't know, is when you are leaning back too much on impact and you slip under the lap belt. I don't know that I've ever heard of someone coming out of the top of the belt without a rollover before.
Old 6/7/10, 11:57 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey
Hair in the glass? That must have been some head-but. It sounds like you did an inverted submarine ( judges love it but it's difficult to pull off ). Submarining, for those that don't know, is when you are leaning back too much on impact and you slip under the lap belt. I don't know that I've ever heard of someone coming out of the top of the belt without a rollover before.
Would that be refered to as a rocket or chopper?
I didn't even think that was possible, unless you were leaning right up against the window and the airbag forced you in the glass or not wearing a seatbelt...odd

Last edited by Boomer; 6/7/10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 6/7/10, 12:22 PM
GT Member

Was anyone else injured?

All of my vehicles include a plethora of devices to prevent that incident.

These are: an attentive operator; a transparent observation enclosure; a primary and a backup control to rapidly convert kinetic energy to thermal energy; a control that permits engine torque to retard or increase velocity and a control that permits altering the vehicle trajectory.

In 35 years of operating a vehicle and over 1.5M miles I just made the boolean transition from accident-free because I dared to slow down for traffic. The "driver" behind me destroyed the rear of my pristine vehicle.

While I am glad your injuries are minor, there are WAY too many people behind the wheel that are preoccupied w/ everything but the task at-hand, which is to safely operating the motor vehicle.

What if your poor operation killed or severly injured another? How about a loved-one?

Think about all those responsibilities every time you are granted the privledge to plant your butt behind the wheel!

Maybe the texting, phone calls, chatting, posing, grooming, reading, gazing and all the other "ings" except for driving will be diminished.

Driving is a privledge, not a right.
Old 6/7/10, 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wingless
What is the waiting period before chastising for inappropriate driving?
Guess it was one more page, huh?
Old 6/7/10, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Man at least wait until him and his car get healed.
Old 6/7/10, 01:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too soon?
Old 6/7/10, 02:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
(miricaulosly my black vanity plate doesnt have a scracth on it)
chuckle... saved the important part!

Well the car didn't do it so don't be afraid of the car.

I wrecked my British sports car in '77 at about 25k and it was enough damage that they had to replace most of the front end. I had heard that I should sell it quick, that it would never align correctly, that it would eat tires, etc., but that wasn't the case. They did a superb job (though very slow) and it handled great! I drove that car well past 100k... had it for 15 yrs. Cried when it had to go... LOL Me and that car were one with lots of great memories.

Heck I'd keep the car as a badge of honor - its got your back - protected you from severe injury, and is still repairable. Lots of fun safe miles ahead in that machine!

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/7/10 at 02:30 PM.