2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

California Special vs Brembo Package

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/11 | 06:11 AM
Bullitt Member

California Special vs Brembo Package

I am about a month away from buying or ordering a new GT. I really like the look of the California Special convertible. From what I have read the Brembo package is not an option on the CS. I know that I can order a GT with the Brembo package and get all of the CS body parts installed but that would get pricey. I guess that my question is the Brembo package really worth getting a GT and then spending the money to add the CS body parts? Is the performance difference and handling affected that much without it? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 1/21/11 | 08:33 AM
GT Member

i am sure it would be cheaper to buy the cali and then add brembos later
Old 1/21/11 | 08:37 AM
3rd Times A Charm

$280 for CS Front Valance w/ Fogs.
$120 for CS Rear Valance

For $400 you can have most of the CS body complete.

It was a no brainer to me to get the Brembo package. Much more bang for your buck.

Body parts can be purchased one at a time, whereas adding the Brembos to the CS would be one big purchase.

Besides, I personally don't like the CS grill as I think the Saleen grill is a better look. Which I've seen as low as $150.
Old 1/21/11 | 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

There is a difference of interior with the CS also. Carbon Fiber looking dash panels, door panels, and seat inserts, and labeled floor mats. Also, exterior is the faux cap and blackout of the trunk lid panel. The factory CS grill looks sweet blacked out....I just need to do that.

The brake package, to me, depends a lot on your driving plans. The factory brakes and suspension work great for me.....spirtied street and maybe a drag strip some day.....

Research both good and then it is your decision.
Old 1/21/11 | 09:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hauss1
I am about a month away from buying or ordering a new GT. I really like the look of the California Special convertible. From what I have read the Brembo package is not an option on the CS. I know that I can order a GT with the Brembo package and get all of the CS body parts installed but that would get pricey. I guess that my question is the Brembo package really worth getting a GT and then spending the money to add the CS body parts? Is the performance difference and handling affected that much without it? Any input would be appreciated.
Ultimately you have to weigh it out. The CS package has the different front clip and rear spoiler but also has the interior bits.

But also keep in mind if you order the CS you can't get:
Kona Blue
Rear view camera
Brembos (front brakes, suspension tuning AND wheels)

If all you care about is the front clip, then I would get the CS valence etc aftermarket, get the Brembos, it's a better deal. You're going to spend more money upgrading the brakes than you will on the cosmetic stuff.

But if you like the CS rims better and plan on upgrading your brakes big time, get the CS
Old 1/21/11 | 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

I had the same dilemma. I went with the CS because although I knew I could buy the exterior CS parts and put them on the brembo package, I really wanted the interior and I don't regret the decision at all.

Also the big thing was I didn't see myself using the brembo package for its intended purpose. So the CS was fine with me!
Old 1/21/11 | 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would rather have the Brembo's pkg. It would cost you close to 3k USA $ to replicate that package vs what the factory charges you for it.
Old 1/21/11 | 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

More options on the Brembo package, as far as color choices go - locked in with the CS on interior and exterior looks. Nothing wrong with that, but I am not in love with the CS rims, seats and grill. Plus I'd rather have the rear view camera. So Brembo Package for me. Add the front valance and side scoops and you are all set.
Old 1/21/11 | 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the same dilema, but i went with the Cali. If you want brakes almost as good as the Brembos all you have to do is get better brake pads. I will be putting Hawk Performance Plus brakes pads on my car to have brakes almost as good as the Brembos. I plan on doing AutoX and Drag racing both with my car.
Old 1/21/11 | 01:41 PM
Cobra Member

Hawk HPS pads are not "almost as good as" Brembos.

The Brembo package are multiple piston brakes with bigger disks as well. Additionally, the Brembo package has different suspension parts.
Old 1/21/11 | 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

HPS pads are an upgrade from stock and do make the stock brakes work better. And frakly stock 13.4" brakes aren't that weak. I have a Brembo car, and the biggest factors in stopping distance on the street, or from say 60 mph are the pads and the tires. Brembo's do better as speeds really rise, and have better pedal feel (firmer, as the calipers aren't sliding around in the front).

But say 60-0, on the same tires.... A car with stock brakes and good pads will stop every bit as well as a Brembo car. Brembo's are better for those that pounds brakes, run track days, and/or are willing to step up for that better brake pedal.
Old 1/21/11 | 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LEwis26

The Brembo package are multiple piston brakes with bigger disks as well. Additionally, the Brembo package has different suspension parts.

Bingo, I can't believe how many people don't get what the "brembo package" actually comes with. For the price Ford is offering, it's a steal. Hence why I went with brembo.
Old 1/21/11 | 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Bingo, I can't believe how many people don't get what the "brembo package" actually comes with. For the price Ford is offering, it's a steal. Hence why I went with brembo.
Again, Ford Marketing kinda dropped the ball again like they did with the Electronics Package. If they didn't name it the Brembo Package and called it a Performance Package it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 1/21/11 | 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah the color limitation on the CS kind of sucks. You can't get sterling gray.....not that that makes any difference since the ceased that color this year. But what is even dumber is the fact that when you pick the CS option on the Ford build and price site Sterling Gray is the color that they represent the car with. One other question, is the strut tower brace only on the Brembo package as well or is it on all GT's now.
Old 1/21/11 | 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26

There good enough for what I need.

So do you have them (the Brembos) cause you needed them or cause you wanted them?
Old 1/21/11 | 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2011GB/CS

There good enough for what I need.

So do you have them (the Brembos) cause you needed them or cause you wanted them?
I haven't ordered my 2012 yet, but will defiantly be getting the brembos on it. Such a good package for what ford is charging.
Old 1/22/11 | 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I think the STB (strut tower brace) comes on any car with 19 inch wheels and All Verts. if i am wrong please correct me. as for needing and wanting the brakes. A Mustang is not about Needs (for me anyway) it was all about WANTS... LOL but i just loved the star trek wheels on the brembos and the rest was just gravy If you go with the CS you will have a unique car as i think the is a CS registry or some type of group. it is all about what you want your car to be and if you like it sitting in your garage when not being driving you can not go wrong with any mustang in my book.
Buy one and drive the wheels off it.. enjoy

Last edited by rodmoe; 1/22/11 at 08:24 AM.
Old 1/22/11 | 09:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rodmoe
I think the STB (strut tower brace) comes on any car with 19 inch wheels and All Verts. if i am wrong please correct me.
^^ Yes, this is correct. ^^

As for Brembo package misinformation, maybe it's different now, but when I was looking at 2011s in May 2010, NOBODY at any dealer I went to seemed to really know details like what the Brembo pkg really was. If only I'd known it was something besides brakes (Summer tires, suspension tightness, stability control tweaks, etc).

As for E.P., no one knew details on that; the best they could do was let me listen & play with a 2010 'vert with E.P. I wasn't real impressed then. Now that I know better, I would definitely get a coupe with Brembos and E.P., and save about $1000 as compared to my 'vert with neither.

Ford's I.T. & marketing is/was SUPER-weak. I could find out more details about features on a kitchen mixer on Amazon than I could dig up on Mustang options at the Fomoco web site, or about FRPP parts on the FRPP web site. The complete lack of detailed information is inexcusable.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 1/22/11 at 09:23 AM.
Old 1/22/11 | 05:18 PM

I know... When I ordered my Pace Car it had to be a 402A equiped and I really wanted the Brembo Brake package, but interior package is beautiful along with the body kit, so the wheels, grill are going away, adding the 2010 GT500 wheels, lowering springs and brakes.. The tune is going in as soon as refill it with 91 Octane. My friend thinks I'm insane because its a SE but its mine and I want to have fun when driving it so its customized... Just a bit..
Old 1/22/11 | 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

The strut brace come on any GT that has 19" rims.

IMO, the brembos are not necessary for most people or for an everyday driver. Same goes for the summer only tires that come with them. The Brembos will only make a differance if you are going to track the car. The 5 foot stopping differance means you will still rearend the car in front of you if your not paying attention. The brake replacement will probably be double $$ and so will the tires.

Quick Reply: California Special vs Brembo Package