2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/11, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
CAI

Stanger's, has anybody had any concerns of running lean when installing a CAI? Piston/cylinder damage? Is it negligible? Am I over thinking this? Car is 2011 GT
Old 12/26/11, 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not if you're running the right tune for your CAI.
Old 12/26/11, 07:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you just running a cai, or cai+tune?
Old 12/26/11, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Just thinking of CAI with no tune.
Old 12/26/11, 08:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You should be ok then. AirRaid is a popular choice and you can easily use it with a tune if you decide to in the future.
Old 12/28/11, 07:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
If you are looking to kick it up a notch and get a tune, I can provide you some stats on the Steeda tune. We have had 0 issues with the #8 when a Mustang has our tune.

I think it is really important for me to tell everyone just what the "Steeda Difference" is - and more specifically, why our performance parts and tunes are unrivaled in the market today.....

From a historical perspective, one must understand that Steeda Autosports was the first and only aftermarket company to partner with Ford Motor Company on the Ford/SEMA Technology Sharing Program for performance engine calibrations. When Ford first launched this program, we made a major financial investment into partnering with Ford in the creation of optimum performance calibrations. In essence, we worked with the same brain trust that designed and manufactured these engines so were well aware of the unique attributes, capabilities as well as their inherent limitations of the Ford hardware and software.

Today, there is no coincidence that we have had zero issues with the #8 cylinder on the newest 5.0L engine - it is because of the brain-trust our engineering staff has acquired in their ongoing development work on ECU calibrations. Again - this is not by accident or by "tuners luck" in guessing what the issue was - rather it is as a direct result of our ongoing relationship and collaboration with Ford Motor Company that we develop tunes that are simply the best. Additionally - one other key element to consider is the level by which we operate - Steeda Autosports is the only Mustang aftermarket company that operates under strict ISO 9001-2008 Certification Standards. What this means is that it is your assurance of the highest levels of quality and consistency in what we do - and that is designing, engineering, manufacturing, and distributing the best Ford performance parts and accessories in the market today.

Not to discredit any other company - but when you purchase our tunes you are not only getting performance but you are also getting the support of the #1 all Ford performance aftermarket manufacturing company. We race what we sell - on the dragstrip, race track, and test track. In fact, vehicles equipped with Steeda performance parts have won more races, set more records, and won more championships than all of our competitors combined. How many retailers or internet tuning shops can say that?

Remember - you have serious $$$ invested into your ride - you can take a gamble, or go with the time tested proven leader - Steeda Autosports who for almost 25 uninterrupted years has been delivering maximum performance.

Hope this helps and give us a call if you are looking for more clarification.

Thanks

TJ
Old 12/29/11, 06:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ Good info if you're going the route of a tuner... but I have been watching this post (thanks SGwick for posting it) and would like to know first hand if it's safe to install JUST a CAI on a GT or V6 without having to have a tune.... I also own a F150 with the 4.2 V6. It has a free flowing exhaust and a "semi" CAI (open box, so I would not call it a Cold Air Intake completely). My truck runs fine without a tuner. Since the Mustang V6 is new to me, I'd like a firm answer as well as to just a CAI install.

Anyone?
Old 12/29/11, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running an airaid CAI w/o a tune and haven't had any problems
Old 12/29/11, 07:48 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by SGwick
Stanger's, has anybody had any concerns of running lean when installing a CAI? Piston/cylinder damage? Is it negligible? Am I over thinking this? Car is 2011 GT
You can't run lean with a Cai... And as long as you have a good filter you won't damage any internal parts.
Old 12/29/11, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
^^^ Good info if you're going the route of a tuner... but I have been watching this post (thanks SGwick for posting it) and would like to know first hand if it's safe to install JUST a CAI on a GT or V6 without having to have a tune.... I also own a F150 with the 4.2 V6. It has a free flowing exhaust and a "semi" CAI (open box, so I would not call it a Cold Air Intake completely). My truck runs fine without a tuner. Since the Mustang V6 is new to me, I'd like a firm answer as well as to just a CAI install.

Anyone?
It depends on the particular CAI. Some will require a tune and some do not. Check with the manufacturer of the one you're looking at.