Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembo Package Tires PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/10, 08:25 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo Package Tires PSI?

Anyone know if the Pirelli's that come with the Brembo Pkg are really supposed to be 35 psi like it says in the door? I am asking because, on top of every tire I have ever had being 32 psi, I recently went to Discount Tire cause I picked up a nail and they set them all to 32 psi cold? Was the mistake theirs or is the mistake on the door? Thanks.
Old 7/16/10, 08:55 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, 35 psi is correct. Ford tested and found that the appropriate settings for tire pressure are there for a reason, so follow them. Just because your previous vehicles had other ratings means nothing.
Old 7/16/10, 08:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Anyone know if the Pirelli's that come with the Brembo Pkg are really supposed to be 35 psi like it says in the door? I am asking because, on top of every tire I have ever had being 32 psi, I recently went to Discount Tire cause I picked up a nail and they set them all to 32 psi cold? Was the mistake theirs or is the mistake on the door? Thanks.
You should follow the sticker on the door.
Old 7/16/10, 09:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
No, 35 psi is correct. Ford tested and found that the appropriate settings for tire pressure are there for a reason, so follow them. Just because your previous vehicles had other ratings means nothing.
You forgot to mention that Ford also tested and found the best oil type for our car and we should use it for a reason, or Ford also tested and found the best tune for our cars so we should not use a custom tune. But we all know people do get custom tunes and people use different weight oils, so maybe Ford didnt know best...
I was simply wondering if it was a typo, like a quality issue, or if it was correct. No need to get snarky with someone cause they ask a question. A simple "35 psi is the correct setting for these tires" would have been answered with a "Thanks for the info" from me.
Old 7/16/10, 09:24 AM
GTR Member

You forgot to mention that Ford also tested and found the best oil type for our car and we should use it for a reason, or Ford also tested and found the best tune for our cars so we should not use a custom tune. But we all know people do get custom tunes and people use different weight oils, so maybe Ford didnt know best...
I was simply wondering if it was a typo, like a quality issue, or if it was correct. No need to get snarky with someone cause they ask a question. A simple "35 psi is the correct setting for these tires" would have been answered with a "Thanks for the info" from me.
First off, don't get your panties in a wad because you think I'm being a dick. I was just saying the facts, nothing more.

Yes, Ford tests all of those things. They also engineer parts with a specific safety factor to make them reliable and performing at the levels they want them to. That works for 95% of the public. The other 5% know that you can squeeze more out of the car, and they do things like change the oil, add a tune, or tweak tire pressure settings. Nobody said you can't, but they have to engineer those settings so the idiot who buys the car has some reference, and doesn't need a PhD to understand why their tires are inflated to X psi, or why you use X weight of oil.
Old 7/16/10, 09:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Is there any harm in running the tire pressure a little high?

Mine came from the dealer at 38 . . . I know it might change the wear pattern on the tires a little making them wear more in the center than the edges . . . the car it getting great gas mileage, so I'm a little hesitant to drop them down to 32.
Old 7/16/10, 09:58 AM
GTR Member

Thin skinned huh?

The factory tire pressure recommendations are for best street performance and wear.

If you were going to autocross it then a little experimentation is in order, usually going higher pressure for less sidewall sway.

For drag racing you might drop the pressure slightly.
Old 7/16/10, 10:02 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Is there any harm in running the tire pressure a little high?

Mine came from the dealer at 38 . . . I know it might change the wear pattern on the tires a little making them wear more in the center than the edges . . . the car it getting great gas mileage, so I'm a little hesitant to drop them down to 32.
How warm were the tires when you checked them?

Always check tire pressure when the tires are cold.

Just set the tire pressure to what it says on the door sticker, too much air pressure on the street will lead to accelerated wear in the center of the tread.
Old 7/16/10, 10:15 AM
GT Member

Not think skinned at all, actually. Just recieved an answer that was not constructive at all so I decided to be a smartass at someones expense. Also a valid question, knowing that Ford has had some quality issues regarding engine coolent labels. Tire PSI could have been a similar typo. S197s had 32psi on their label, making sure the '11s is actually different.

And when someone gives a high horsed response, they should expect some sarcasm in return. Just sayin...
Old 7/16/10, 10:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
How warm were the tires when you checked them? . . . Always check tire pressure when the tires are cold . . . .
I check them in the morning before I drive, but it has been quite warm overnight around here lately . . . but I think that still counts as "cold" . . . I guess I should drop them down a bit
Old 7/16/10, 10:39 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I check them in the morning before I drive, but it has been quite warm overnight around here lately . . . but I think that still counts as "cold" . . . I guess I should drop them down a bit
Yes, cold as in ambient temperature.
Old 7/16/10, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

My Brembo's were also delivered at 38 psi all around (checked with two gauges). I dropped them down to the recommended 35. Ride seems better after.

Don't trust a cheap pen gauge unless you've checked it against something else know to be accurate. Some of them are "sticky" too and you can check the same tire five times and get five different readings.

PS: OP, I didn't read Overboost's reply as snarky. He answered your question and he knows what he's talking about. Just sayin'. Take 'er easy bud.
Old 7/16/10, 11:14 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by jeff s
My Brembo's were also delivered at 38 psi all around (checked with two gauges). I dropped them down to the recommended 35. Ride seems better after.

Don't trust a cheap pen gauge unless you've checked it against something else know to be accurate. Some of them are "sticky" too and you can check the same tire five times and get five different readings.

PS: OP, I didn't read Overboost's reply as snarky. He answered your question and he knows what he's talking about. Just sayin'. Take 'er easy bud.
Thanks Jeff. I think people know me as a straight shooter, especially on the easy stuff.

Regarding tire inflation, I typically run my tires 2-3 psi higher than recommended if I'm going to stay on the highway and commute. For autocross, I drop them back down to recommended settings. The thought is (and I've found this through examining the data) that the higher tire pressure reduces the surface area slightly, which can help with gas mileage. I saw 1-2 mpg better with the slightly higher pressure.
Old 7/16/10, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
. . . the higher tire pressure reduces the surface area slightly, which can help with gas mileage. I saw 1-2 mpg better with the slightly higher pressure.
that's kinda why I haven't dropped mine down . . . though 38 is probably a bit too high . . . I'm getting great mileage (26-28 mpg round trip commute) and I don't want to change that too much; but I also don't want to wear out those P-Zero's too quickly either
Old 7/18/10, 12:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine came with 38 PSI in all 4 tires too (18's ... COLD).

The 16's on my '98 & '04 were 35 PSI per the door jamb ... prior to having 16's, everthing I've had has been 15" size and 32 PSI or less, so I just assumed the larger the wheels/tires the more pressure.

That is until I saw the 32 PSI in the door jamb ... I dropped them down to 35 PSI after seeing this !!

Car rode fine at 38 PSI and rides fine at 35 PSI plus I do a lot of highway driving, so 35 PSI is where I'm leaving them.

Doug
Old 7/18/10, 12:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Different car/sized tires, but I run my 275/40/17 BFGs on my Cobra wheels at 38. It's still within the range recommended by the tire mfg, and it gives a slight boost in highway mpg. It rides a little rougher, but my car isn't a luxury car. The 2010+, however, I'd probably try 38psi out to see. Those things ride so nice, I wouldn't want to upset the balance.