Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Brembo DOESN'T come with dual piston rears

Hmmm.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-calipers.html
Old 1/20/11, 10:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was hashed out on here ages ago.

Just some misinformation, never was going to be anything other than the single piston calipers on any Mustang.
Old 1/20/11, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jmatero
This whole argument is hilarious. I can't believe how rabid some of those post are. Internet tough guys, eh?

In any of the Canadian marketing material I've seen, it simply states that the GT gets the GT500 front and rear brakes and last I checked, the GT500 still uses the same, single piston rear brakes as the GT.

Single piston calipers are absolutely AOK. I road raced my Z06 with the dual piston fronts and single piston rears for 2 years and never had any issues. While the car is significantly lighter, I was driving it far harder than any street car would ever see and the braking performance was never an issue.

And luckily the brake pads were cheap as hell.

Last edited by danman_s; 1/20/11 at 10:57 PM.
Old 1/20/11, 11:29 PM
Banned

It has to do with what was released in the order guides and dealer litweature. All said 2 piston rear calipers. I didn't believe it myself for sure until I got to look into the Official Ford Workshop Manual.
Old 1/21/11, 03:23 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
*sigh*

Ford you are doing it wrong

Last edited by burningman; 1/21/11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 1/21/11, 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

The website still lists it as a feature of the package. Why the heck don't they take it off?
Old 1/21/11, 10:43 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
The website still lists it as a feature of the package. Why the heck don't they take it off?
Because just like in many big corporations, Ford's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing...
Old 1/22/11, 08:14 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I wonder what it would cost to add brembo twin piston rears? I've never cared for the look of the TRW calipers front or rear and on the brembo equipped cars it looks unfinished.
Old 1/22/11, 02:47 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by burningman
*sigh*

Ford you are doing it wrong
LOL. Yeah, I bet Chrysler and GM are clamoring to do it "wrong," just like Ford.

It's a typo. Big deal.

Last edited by MARZ; 1/22/11 at 02:50 PM.
Old 1/22/11, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

It doesnt come with better shocks or suspension components either as some mags have led people to believe. It ONLY comes with front calipers, wheels/tires, and an extra ESP setting for sport mode. That's all folks. It's simply the $400 a piece tires it comes with that make it a handling upgrade over a car with the standard 19s.

Now 19's on the other hand, are an upgrade over 18s. As when you bump up to 19 inch wheels you get the strut tower brace and perhaps those "other part number" shocks.

That's why for me the Brembo package makes no sense. The hassle of finding snow tires / no spare / pricier pads , isn't made up for by the slightly shorter stopping distances over the standard (10' track pack) brakes. If you're taking it on the race track, im sure the Brembos are much better at not fading, and the added grip of those summer tires makes a lot of difference, but that's not really going to be what I buy this car for. And once the 19 inch all seasons are done, I'll probably replace them with summer only tires anyway.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 1/22/11 at 02:57 PM.
Old 1/22/11, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

that sucks.. the website still says 2 piston... interesting

also when will they change the website to reflect the 2012 ?
Old 1/22/11, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
It doesnt come with better shocks or suspension components either as some mags have led people to believe. It ONLY comes with front calipers, wheels/tires, and an extra ESP setting for sport mode. That's all folks. It's simply the $400 a piece tires it comes with that make it a handling upgrade over a car with the standard 19s.

Now 19's on the other hand, are an upgrade over 18s. As when you bump up to 19 inch wheels you get the strut tower brace and perhaps those "other part number" shocks.
Almost. The Brembo package DOES come with different springs as well as the lower control arms from a GT500. This has been confirmed by a few guys on here who work at dealerships and have access to parts ordering. As far as the 19's being and upgrade, that's depends. Most guys around here who do competitive track racing prefer 18's. Less rotational mass, more rubber.
Old 1/22/11, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by whysoserious
Almost. The Brembo package DOES come with different springs as well as the lower control arms from a GT500. This has been confirmed by a few guys on here who work at dealerships and have access to parts ordering. As far as the 19's being and upgrade, that's depends. Most guys around here who do competitive track racing prefer 18's. Less rotational mass, more rubber.
Sorry, but a "couple guys on here" trying to glean out of a parts catalog does not work for me. Ford does not acknowledge any suspension component differences. Don't you think they would mention something like that in the advertising? It's very possible that the 2 part numbers cross reference to the SAME part. Also, the 19s vs the 18s DO add a strut brace, perhaps it's ordering ANY 19 inch wheels that also include the different shocks/springs. Like i said, until FORD says so, the Brembo package BS-O-Meter just keeps growing.

But by all means, prove me wrong...PLEASE. It will make my decision to Brembo or not very easy. But heresay, conjecture, and butt dynos aren't doing it for me. The mustang forums are PACKED with threads that start out with "THERE IS DEFINITELY A DIFFERENCE" and 500 posts later, end with "hmm, maybe there's a difference".

Why is there no Ford documentation that says...Brembo package includes XYZ suspension changes?

Last edited by SVTJayC; 1/22/11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 1/22/11, 09:16 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bob
I wonder what it would cost to add brembo twin piston rears? I've never cared for the look of the TRW calipers front or rear and on the brembo equipped cars it looks unfinished.
The parking brake is built into the caliper, dual piston calipers are not equipped for the parking brake. Cars that have multi-piston rear calipers have some other type of parking brake like having a seperate caliper just for the purpose or they use a small drum brake inside of the brake rotor. This would add considerable cost and weight and part content.

So long as they can get acceptable braking performance from the current single piston design Ford will have no incentive to move to the more costly seperate parking brake to allow for the multi-piston calipers.
Old 1/22/11, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry, but a "couple guys on here" trying to glean out of a parts catalog does not work for me. Ford does not acknowledge any suspension component differences. Don't you think they would mention something like that in the advertising? It's very possible that the 2 part numbers cross reference to the SAME part. Also, the 19s vs the 18s DO add a strut brace, perhaps it's ordering ANY 19 inch wheels that also include the different shocks/springs. Like i said, until FORD says so, the Brembo package BS-O-Meter just keeps growing.

But by all means, prove me wrong...PLEASE. It will make my decision to Brembo or not very easy. But heresay, conjecture, and butt dynos aren't doing it for me. The mustang forums are PACKED with threads that start out with "THERE IS DEFINITELY A DIFFERENCE" and 500 posts later, end with "hmm, maybe there's a difference".

Why is there no Ford documentation that says...Brembo package includes XYZ suspension changes?
This was the thread with the different springs from a Brembo package, two posts down.

https://themustangsource.com/f700/20...482175/index3/

Also if you take a look at this parts catalog, you'll notice that there are springs that are for either "less premium brakes" or "with performance brakes." Intrepret that however you like.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr

The lower control arms on Brembo packages are silver while non-Brembo are black. These are different, silvers have stiffer bushings.

As far as why this the Brembo package is not advertised as a more robust suspension package, this has been talked about before, no clear answers really. I would suggest that Ford simply may have chosen to place the emphasis on the "Brembo" in the Brembo package, leveraging their name in trying to attain more sales. Using that name clearly indicates a significant brake upgrade, whereas "track pack" may have only suggested suspension re-tuning, even if it included the upgrade. Also, you are correct about the STB. It comes with any vehicle that has any 19" optional wheels.
Old 1/23/11, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by whysoserious
This was the thread with the different springs from a Brembo package, two posts down.

https://themustangsource.com/f700/20...482175/index3/

Also if you take a look at this parts catalog, you'll notice that there are springs that are for either "less premium brakes" or "with performance brakes." Intrepret that however you like.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr

The lower control arms on Brembo packages are silver while non-Brembo are black. These are different, silvers have stiffer bushings.

As far as why this the Brembo package is not advertised as a more robust suspension package, this has been talked about before, no clear answers really. I would suggest that Ford simply may have chosen to place the emphasis on the "Brembo" in the Brembo package, leveraging their name in trying to attain more sales. Using that name clearly indicates a significant brake upgrade, whereas "track pack" may have only suggested suspension re-tuning, even if it included the upgrade. Also, you are correct about the STB. It comes with any vehicle that has any 19" optional wheels.
That catalog is a mess because it seems they dont delete OLD parts. There are still listings for the traction package in there. Whats odd to me is I see a difference in the shocks (p brakes and less p brakes) but Not the strut ***emblies, which are categorized instead by wheel size (17, 18, 19) and even in that case there are 2 part numbers (maybe shelby vs non-shelby). This would indicate to me, that at best, the shocks are different and not the springs. Still, I just have a very hard time buying that Ford would make the mistakes of saying that the brembo pack had 2 piston rears, AND forgetting to say it had suspension changes. Do they have the worst marketing team in the world???
Old 1/23/11, 08:38 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I will double check the cars I have tomorrow, I'll look at a brembo car and non-brembo car as well as a gt500 to see how they are same or different.
Old 1/23/11, 12:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a post from another forum, doesn't say anything about his calipers on the windows sticker..
Originally Posted by sean858
Mine says nothing about the actual brake size.

Sorry for the cellphone pic
Old 1/24/11, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
...It's very possible that the 2 part numbers cross reference to the SAME part.
Not exactly... it is possible that two different parts with different numbers may supersede to a replacement single part number because of functional interchangeability. But you can bet that if they have different part numbers they are different in some way even if the difference doesn't affect function (i.e finishing or labeling).

For example, many GM power window motors were separate parts for left and right but the only difference was bolt hole position. They came out with a modified version that had the correct bolt holes for both sides and then superseded both part numbers to a single number.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 1/24/11 at 06:46 AM.
Old 1/24/11, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I will double check the cars I have tomorrow, I'll look at a brembo car and non-brembo car as well as a gt500 to see how they are same or different.

Don't bother, the rear brake calipers are all 100% they same, period... end of story.

Quick Reply: Brembo DOESN'T come with dual piston rears