Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

"Break-in" oil or urban myth?

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/13, 09:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Break-in" oil or urban myth?

Does anyone know if our cars use a special break-in oil or additive? I've heard this as opinion, as well as the opposite, but never seen any factual verification.

I'm contemplating an early first oil change while the car is at the dealer for other work (its a pain to find a time to go since I have to work and the service dept. has banker's hours). Is there any downside (or advantage) to changing the oil early (~1,300 miles/10 months)?
Old 8/14/13, 09:58 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm not sure if they use an additive or different type on the first fill. I believe the engine are ready when they hit the lots but not positive. If there is an additive or different type, I would leave it in there till its time for your first oil change. No damage can be done by waiting till its time to change it. There could be a negative side if there is an additive and you don't let it do its job. I have personally seen full synthetic on a fresh build not allow rings to seat. That alone would make me wait till its time.
Old 8/14/13, 10:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a UOA done on my factory fill from Blackstone Labs, the report didn't mention finding any unusual additives in the oil. The only thing they noticed was a high metal & silicon content, but said that's to be expected from a new engine still going through wear-in.
Old 8/14/13, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mfc133
I had a UOA done on my factory fill from Blackstone Labs, the report didn't mention finding any unusual additives in the oil. The only thing they noticed was a high metal & silicon content, but said that's to be expected from a new engine still going through wear-in.
You actually sent the original oil to be tested in a lab? Really?
The things I read on the forums. Geez
Old 8/14/13, 11:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlsCobra

It solves the question though.
Old 8/14/13, 11:50 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the service manager at my dealer said they no longer use break-in oil.
Old 8/14/13, 12:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
That's what I thought.
Old 8/14/13, 12:23 PM

as Desha says. there is no such thing as too many oil changes (or something to that effect). I did my first one at 1600 miles.
Old 8/14/13, 12:31 PM
GT Member

I'd wait to change the oil. I changed the oil early on both my Boss 302 & GT500, around 800-1000 miles, and immediately afterward both of them had the ticking/tapping that seems to be relatively common.

It was even noticed by my wife, who knows -0- about cars.
Old 8/14/13, 12:39 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
As the OP says and as alot have said on the forums we've been told by service managers and even SVT engineers there is no special break in oil.

Logic dictates that there is at least assembly lube and such in the car from assembly though.

Not that that makes any difference but to me when you replace an engine and you use the prescribed motor oil you don't want to leave that first oil in there for its expected lifetime. You change it at 500 or so.

I realize this is not scientific or backed up by anything other than my feeble brain but in a new car I like to change the first oil at 1,000 miles or so. Even if it is synthetic I want those tiny metals parts out. Now the other side is that people say the rings need to properly set or be broken in which I don't know anything about.

I think with cost of oil changes and especially synthetic oil Ford doesn't want to tell people it may be and emphasis on may be not a completely bad idea to change the first one earlier and then go from there.

I'd rather change it early and know it doesn't hurt than to change it on schedule and know I could have maybe helped.

Again emphasis on maybe.

This is just my own philosophy and if it's wrong or crazy I can live with the outcome.
Old 8/14/13, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang
Do they use conventional or synthetic on first fill? I'm guessing conventional which will help with break in as synthetic may prevent it. The synthetics out there really do lubricate that much better.
Old 8/14/13, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
As the OP says and as alot have said on the forums we've been told by service managers and even SVT engineers there is no special break in oil.

Logic dictates that there is at least assembly lube and such in the car from assembly though.

Not that that makes any difference but to me when you replace an engine and you use the prescribed motor oil you don't want to leave that first oil in there for its expected lifetime. You change it at 500 or so.

I realize this is not scientific or backed up by anything other than my feeble brain but in a new car I like to change the first oil at 1,000 miles or so. Even if it is synthetic I want those tiny metals parts out. Now the other side is that people say the rings need to properly set or be broken in which I don't know anything about.

I think with cost of oil changes and especially synthetic oil Ford doesn't want to tell people it may be and emphasis on may be not a completely bad idea to change the first one earlier and then go from there.

I'd rather change it early and know it doesn't hurt than to change it on schedule and know I could have maybe helped.

Again emphasis on maybe.

This is just my own philosophy and if it's wrong or crazy I can live with the outcome.
The filter should trap most of that stuff out (flakes from casting and other contaminates). I wouldn't run the original fill 5000mi but 3000mi I would still feel safe. I don't know if any of the motors are bench tested or not either though. I'm guessing SVT must be running theirs but don't know about the base motors. Either way that initial fill is not gonna do damage leaving it in there and personally i would leave it in for 2-3k miles. Ford has been building motors a very long time. They know more than any of us. Wish we had a Ford engine machinist or at least assembler that we could get some real answer from.
Old 8/14/13, 01:08 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They say rings seat fairly quickly (like the first few hundred miles) but there is still that early period where there is more blow by of fuel mix before the rings are well seated. I'd just as soon get that out of there as well as change the filter in case it has trapped more than average. I change at 1000 and my Ford dealer paid for it.
Old 8/14/13, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
They say rings seat fairly quickly (like the first few hundred miles) but there is still that early period where there is more blow by of fuel mix before the rings are well seated. I'd just as soon get that out of there as well as change the filter in case it has trapped more than average. I change at 1000 and my Ford dealer paid for it.
Not only rings but cam, rod, and main bearings also. None of which are 100% true. There will be just the slightest variations in the bearings till they wear in true. The conventional oil on the initial fill will allow everything to wear in correctly. My fear would be that the synthetic oils may prolong the initial wear in. If you ever plastigauged a rod or main you would notice that its close to perfect but not completely. Then again, engine builders (which I am not), all have different opinions also. People get very **** about things like this when there is no need. And we have at least one person earlier that stated he developed a tick after an early oil change. Never heard any negatives of leaving the original stuff in there for a while. I think you guys are over thinking things. Lol
Old 8/14/13, 01:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hence why I don't use full synth.
Old 8/14/13, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Hence why I don't use full synth.
I use full but probably wouldn't for my first couple changes if I ever bought a brand new car. But that's me trying to think logically without anything fact based too.
Old 8/14/13, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

WOW, not sure on this one but at one time those that changed their oil before the 7000 mile break in time got a ticking noise. This is a fact, engines the were torn down at 100,000 miles and had used full syn. had almost no wear. One I saw looked new inside plus no bearing wear. I change my oil around 7000m with full syn. and prem filter. Changing it early may not hurt but doesn't gain you anything and my oil change cost around $100.00 with me doing the labor. Just my 2 and there are a lot of opinions on this.
Old 8/14/13, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
So you have a baseline to compare against future tests...why is that screwy exactly?
Old 8/14/13, 02:38 PM

Just use something with high zinc/phos like VR1
Old 8/14/13, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mfc133

So you have a baseline to compare against future tests...why is that screwy exactly?
Well there's no smiley for :****:
I think it's pointless to even go through the trouble. Of course there will be metal content in there. Maybe I just have a different perspective on things since I was a mechanic for so long. I've put well over 200k miles on vehicles that I've neglected. Never changing the oil on time and still had no problems. If you don't plan on owning your car past 100k or 5yrs, just do normal scheduled maintenance and stop wasting your time analyzing.

Quick Reply: "Break-in" oil or urban myth?