Sponsored By:

Black GT-First oil change-now loud engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/10, 07:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black GT-First oil change-now loud engine tick

Ok this is distrubing

Ordered 4/23, build 5/18 delivered 6/24. Yes did get caught up in the holds for about a month.

Ran perfectly. No noise.

Took her in for her first oil change last Friday. 2600KM (about 1500M US) at the dealer I bought her from. Checked with my sales guy and service that they knew what oil to put in her etc. Service area questioned me changing the oil early as not due to 8000Km. But I explained been driving her in some dusty area's and the oil is a bit dirty and also peace of mind. No issues.

Afterwards. Drove about a 1/4 mile to my friends restauarant. Everything seemed ok. Bunch of guys there wanted to look at her and the 5.0. Started her up.

Loud clicking sound. Now this is not something one person heard. But all.

Oil change invoice did not say how or what type of oil they used.

It was close to closing, for the dealer, and I drove back to the dealer. Service had gone home except for my sales rep and one mechanic.

Both came out to hear her. Start up. Loud clicking sound. Got lighter as she warmed up.

Mechanic said sounds like a fuel injector. Bring her back Monday if still happening.

Went home. Waited the 15 min's for all the oil to drain into the pan as I did not trust that they put the 8 litres in her. Checked the oil and it was fine.

Over the weekend started her several times and drove her a bit. Bad storms here this weekend so did not go far. Seemed OK. Same power etc.

Tonight-gave her a bath. She was dirty. And she is black.

Long story-short. Tick is still there. Loud actually. Roomate and neighbor noticed.

So of course, I gonna take her back to the dealer.

But gonna make it clear, no engine tear down till a Ford engineer is involved. (not sure if that is gonna work)

I have read on these forums that tick is natural or one guy had a teardown and another had a additive added.

Just wierd for me

Why after the first oil change?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 8/16/10, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Only thought I can come up with is the change in oil filter. The OEM Fomoco Filter and the Motorcraft are not the same. The Fomoco appears to be supplied by Wix where as the Motorcraft FL500S is Purolator supplied.

I would try installing a Wix 57502 or NAPA Gold 7502 whichever you can find locally and see if it makes a difference. Its all I can come up with.

PS I believe the dealer may be able to get the Fomoco Filter but its going to be way more expensive than the other options.
Old 8/16/10, 08:25 PM
GT Member

there is a fix for this, and apparently it is not something the Mustang team engineers feel is a big issue. Another 5.0 owner had this exact problem, an engineer came out and put in a special additive that fixed the issue.

Refer your dealer to this thread to speed up your baby's recovery!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...range-fix.html

EDIT: oops, I feel silly. That was your thread. Sorry to hear that tick is back...wonder what they will try now...keep us updated!

Last edited by raidernixon; 8/16/10 at 08:27 PM.
Old 8/17/10, 02:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are your sure they got 8 qts in it? Dealers are idiots in general. I cant think of a soul that trusts them. Did you check the oil? I hate to say this because we have some good ford guys on this site but there are a ton of idiots in the servies dept. That is a fact. Most are idiots.

Please check the basic things first.
Old 8/17/10, 07:43 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by chevys
Are your sure they got 8 qts in it? Dealers are idiots in general. I cant think of a soul that trusts them. Did you check the oil? I hate to say this because we have some good ford guys on this site but there are a ton of idiots in the servies dept. That is a fact. Most are idiots.

Please check the basic things first.
Yes-One of the frist things I did. Oil level was almost at the second hole on the stick. So fine.
Old 8/17/10, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe they put some other weight oil in the pan. Most dealers fill with bulk oil.
Old 8/17/10, 11:17 AM
Cobra R Member

another thread about this issue:

https://themustangsource.com/f726/ticking-sound-485247/

Last edited by tom_vilsack; 8/17/10 at 11:19 AM.