Search this Thread

Old 8/19/10, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well everyone is on forums to
1. post for help
2. post suggestions
3. post their opinions

This was my opinion. I don't believe ever messing with any part of the seats is safe. Even with a head rest.
Old 8/19/10, 09:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreamtheory
Your over exaggerating... these seats are not designed to be sitting straight up . . . if your arms feel "to stretched out" then you don't have long legs . . . So quit being picky, they designed these seats for comfort =)
Hey, I can be picky if I want to be! It's my nature!

But I do understand your point . . . in the time that has passed since I originally posted this I have gotten more comfortable with the reclined seating position and my neck doesn't hurt so much any more . . .

Yes I do have both long arms and long legs . . . part of the basic issue is the lack of a telescoping steering wheel . . . I ended up getting comfortable with the seat a little further forward, more bend in knees, seat reclined a little more.

Shotzy, your fix looks great, I do have a friend with a machine shop so will try to find a time to get over there and give it a try.
Old 8/19/10, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bert

But I do understand your point . . . in the time that has passed since I originally posted this I have gotten more comfortable with the reclined seating position and my neck doesn't hurt so much any more . . .

Yes I do have both long arms and long legs . . . part of the basic issue is the lack of a telescoping steering wheel . . . I ended up getting comfortable with the seat a little further forward, more bend in knees, seat reclined a little more.

Shotzy, your fix looks great, I do have a friend with a machine shop so will try to find a time to get over there and give it a try.
Does Ford offer any thing to extend the sterring wheel that they could install for you? I personally haven't ever seen anything that does, but maybe worth checking?
Old 8/19/10, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

[quote=Dreamtheory;5932870]well everyone is on forums to
1. post for help
2. post suggestions
3. post their opinions

This was my opinion. I don't believe ever messing with any part of the seats is safe. Even with a head rest.[/quote]

Does Ford offer any thing to extend the sterring wheel that they could install for you? I personally haven't ever seen anything that does, but maybe worth checking?
So let me get this straight. You dont believe in changing a bend in a seat headrest but getting a mod that streches the steering column thats ok?
Old 8/19/10, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

or having a more adjustable steering column? I know BMW has had this for years, in all my dads BMW's he can move the steering wheel just like moving the driver seat...

Maybe should check with ford if they have the possibility of doing the same, might be worth the effort if your going to keep this car for more than a year...
Old 8/19/10, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bert

Thanks. It is super easy. It really took my friend longer to find the tool in the shop than do the whole thing. Best part is it is free.

Well except for the cost of the beer

Last edited by shotzy; 8/19/10 at 09:23 AM.
Old 8/19/10, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

[quote=shotzy;5932885]
1. post for help
2. post suggestions
3. post their opinions

This was my opinion. I don't believe ever messing with any part of the seats is safe. Even with a head rest.[/quote]

So let me get this straight. You dont believe in changing a bend in a seat headrest but getting a mod that streches the steering column thats ok?
The driver and passenger seat (including seat belts) are made a specific way, to pass the CRASH TEST RATINGS. Steering wheels/columns have been move-able and change-able for years thanks for BMW and Mercedes, and not failing the crash test ratings.
Old 8/19/10, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

[quote=Dreamtheory;5932891]
Originally Posted by shotzy

The driver and passenger seat (including seat belts) are made a specific way, to pass the CRASH TEST RATINGS. Steering wheels/columns have been move-able and change-able for years thanks for BMW and Mercedes, and not failing the crash test ratings.
So I am sure all those cars have been failing crash tests for there straight up headrest then Because my BMW does not have a headrest that kills my neck and it is also adjustable to the tilt.
Old 8/19/10, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. post for help
2. post suggestions
3. post their opinions

This was my opinion. I don't believe ever messing with any part of the seats is safe. Even with a head rest.
Don't think anybody has a problem with that but perhaps you can find a way to do it in a more politely manner and respect other's people choices and opinions. Some of your comments makes you look like an a@#$%hole sometimes. No trying to affend you but that is the way me and other members see you. You are even compared to a banned member that goes by the username "eci". Trust me you don't want to be associated with that guy.

For example:

So quit being picky, they designed these seats for comfort =)
What this really necessary?

What part of Home-Made does that qualify under?

That looks like 5 pieces of wood stacks on top of each other. last time i saw one of those (which is everyday in the movie industry) but outside of work, was buy mexicans on the side of the freeway trying to fix there 1985 chevy pickup...

You have a brand new mustang, how about buy brand new stands =)
Again, what this criticism really necessary? Why not keep comments like this to yourself. You recently created "The Official Name Thread". Personally I'm not into naming cars and I think is stupid but I do not criticize anybody that does nor do I hijack your thread and start posting negative things. I just simply ignore the thread. Again is all about respecting other people choice and opinions. If you disagree with something find a way to express your self without offending others.

Last edited by newpony; 8/19/10 at 10:01 AM.
Old 8/19/10, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by newpony
Don't think anybody has a problem with that but perhaps you can find a way to do it in a more politely manner and respect other's people choices and opinions. Some of your comments makes you look like an a@#$%hole sometimes. No trying to affend you but that is the way me and other members see you. You are even compared to a banned member that goes by the username "eci". Trust me you don't want to be associated with that guy.

For example:

Again, what this criticism really necessary? Why not keep this comments like this to yourself. You recently created "The Official Name Thread". Personally I'm not into naming cars and I think is stupid but I do not criticize anybody that does nor do I hijack your thread and start posting negative things. I just simply ignore the thread. Again is all about respecting other people choice and opinions. If you disagree with something find a way to express your self without offending others.
Well said. Much better than I could have
Old 8/19/10, 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Now that I think about it, regarding the safety thing -- the way the standard headrests hit my neck, they are more likely to break my neck than support my head the way they are supposed to in a crash . . . if they were move vertical, I could position them higher on the back of my head the way they are suppose to be.

So, Shotzy's mod is actually a safety enhancement!
Old 8/19/10, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by newpony

For example:

Again, what this criticism really necessary? Why not keep this comments like this to yourself. You recently created "The Official Name Thread". Personally I'm not into naming cars and I think is stupid but I do not criticize anybody that does nor do I hijack your thread and start posting negative things. I just simply ignore the thread. Again is all about respecting other people choice and opinions. If you disagree with something find a way to express your self without offending others.
Well for 1. I'm a very sarcastic guy. If you ever meet me, you'll understand the way I say things on here... You'll here my voice. That's the problem with forums. You cant here tone of voice. Tone of voice can change everything.

I could say "Your a ****ing *******" but the tone of voice would tell you how i meant it, i could be completely joking around, or completely serious.

I'm sorry you guys see me this way (like a past banned member), one day (if your in SoCal) you'll hopefully meet me. I'm not nearly as mean as what you must think.

2. I add the =) to try show that I'm just putting in my opinion and not being hateful, if there is a better smiley to use let me know.

3. As for what i put in bold from the quote, there is always something said negative in every thread, its just how you take it and what side of the opinion your on. That's been pretty much what happens on all mustang forums i ever go on.

i was just putting my 2 cents in, I was actually kinda of on the defensive here for putting in my opinion
Old 8/19/10, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Well for 1. I'm a very sarcastic guy. If you ever meet me, you'll understand the way I say things on here... You'll here my voice. That's the problem with forums. You cant here tone of voice. Tone of voice can change everything.

I could say "Your a ****ing *******" but the tone of voice would tell you how i meant it, i could be completely joking around, or completely serious.

I'm sorry you guys see me this way (like a past banned member), one day (if your in SoCal) you'll hopefully meet me. I'm not nearly as mean as what you must think.

2. I add the =) to try show that I'm just putting in my opinion and not being hateful, if there is a better smiley to use let me know.

3. As for what i put in bold from the quote, there is always something said negative in every thread, its just how you take it and what side of the opinion your on. That's been pretty much what happens on all mustang forums i ever go on.

i was just putting my 2 cents in, I was actually kinda of on the defensive here for putting in my opinion
No harm no foul. As a very sarcastic person myself. I often have the same problems. I am sure most of us would have a good time sitting at a bar shooting the **** about cars.
Old 8/19/10, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is alright man I seen people use either a , or when there are being sarcastic if that helps.
Old 8/19/10, 08:01 PM
Cobra R Member

OK, I've been following this topic since day one with my car (6/9/10). In fact it is how I found MustangSource, Googling for "Mustang headrest tilt sucks" (or similar). I too dislike the stock head restraint angle. I hate the things. Sure, if I ride reclined halfway to horizontal it'd be less of a problem, or if the headrest was raised the problem would be MITIGATED but not cured. But that's not how I prefer to position myself while driving. I am not talking about seat-upright-in-the-locked-position-with-tray-table-stowed, just one more detent up from where this blasted seat demands that I place myself!

Since I've been driving for over 30 years and have owned about 30 cars, and NONE of the previous cars had this issue (and most were totally safe, like my 540i which had the perfect head restraints BTW), then I think I am speaking from a relatively informed perspective when I say the head restraint angle in these cars is a pain in the neck for me.

The posts of everyone who thinks the head restraints are hunky dory doesn't really help the others of us solve the problem. The criticism or critique of our driving position is not helping. There is only one fix for us, and that is a headrest angle change (or adjustability), or replacement fix strategies.

I was about to pull the trigger on the $199 adjustable tilting headrests from MRT (who listed them with NO other info), but then I saw Shotzy's latest post. Shotz, that makes TWO mods you've made to your awesome-looking car that I desperately want: the suspension, and now the headrestraint fix. (not to mention I love the Kona)

Can you provide any more information about that tool? What did it look like? I am going NUTS here!!! BTW, I e-mailed Rehagen Racing (form their website link) about the suspension mod, never got a reply.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 8/19/10 at 08:02 PM.
Old 8/19/10, 08:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

QUOTE...QUOTE What part of Home-Made does that qualify under?

That looks like 5 pieces of wood stacks on top of each other. last time i saw one of those (which is everyday in the movie industry) but outside of work, was buy mexicans on the side of the freeway trying to fix there 1985 chevy pickup...

You have a brand new mustang, how about buy brand new stands =)QUOTE...QUOTE

Hey, this is copyrighted, it was my thread, my project with my son. I could've bought the most expensive ramps no problem, but this was a son's-dad project. ( you know when you have children). It's the way you say things sometimes, clean up your act and use some more smilies so we can better understand your thoughts on things, i know i would with just 156 posts under my belt. So let's get this thread back on topic with no sarcasm please. Fells so much more relaxing.

I'll look at my frien'ds Ford GT to see if his headrest would fit my 'Stang. I'm not kidding, this is true.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 8/19/10 at 08:44 PM.
Old 8/19/10, 11:36 PM
Cobra R Member

lol, Dreamtheory = eci
Old 8/20/10, 04:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
. . . . the head restraint angle in these cars is a pain in the neck for me.
yeah, literally!

. . . . I was about to pull the trigger on the $199 adjustable tilting headrests from MRT (who listed them with NO other info)
That's a great find, I'll have to take a look at those
Old 8/20/10, 06:01 AM
Bullitt Member

OK, I've been following this topic since day one with my car (6/9/10). In fact it is how I found MustangSource, Googling for "Mustang headrest tilt sucks" (or similar). I too dislike the stock head restraint angle. I hate the things. Sure, if I ride reclined halfway to horizontal it'd be less of a problem, or if the headrest was raised the problem would be MITIGATED but not cured. But that's not how I prefer to position myself while driving. I am not talking about seat-upright-in-the-locked-position-with-tray-table-stowed, just one more detent up from where this blasted seat demands that I place myself!

Since I've been driving for over 30 years and have owned about 30 cars, and NONE of the previous cars had this issue (and most were totally safe, like my 540i which had the perfect head restraints BTW), then I think I am speaking from a relatively informed perspective when I say the head restraint angle in these cars is a pain in the neck for me.

The posts of everyone who thinks the head restraints are hunky dory doesn't really help the others of us solve the problem. The criticism or critique of our driving position is not helping. There is only one fix for us, and that is a headrest angle change (or adjustability), or replacement fix strategies.

I was about to pull the trigger on the $199 adjustable tilting headrests from MRT (who listed them with NO other info), but then I saw Shotzy's latest post. Shotz, that makes TWO mods you've made to your awesome-looking car that I desperately want: the suspension, and now the headrestraint fix. (not to mention I love the Kona)

Can you provide any more information about that tool? What did it look like? I am going NUTS here!!! BTW, I e-mailed Rehagen Racing (form their website link) about the suspension mod, never got a reply.

We used something similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-6-2829S.../dp/B000FMUKGW

Stuck the tube bender in a vice to keep it steady. Then lined up the poles to bend them straight back. Just need to make sure you line up everything first. And get the tool as close to the headrest as possible. It was real easy and we did it by eye. The hardest part was carefully moving the leather cover back so we didn't scratch it.

You could probably go to your local plumber supply store or home depot by the tool fix the headrest and return it.

As for Rehagen contact shaun (stinger1982 on these boards). He works with these guys and is the one who set me up with them.

Last edited by shotzy; 8/20/10 at 06:30 AM.
Old 8/20/10, 12:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You want to talk about uncomfortable Head Rests, try being 6'4" driving an MN-12 Thunderbird..... The Head Rests on my 97 Lx 4.6 hit me right at the top of my shoulders, not even near my head or even my neck, and that is in the fully raised position..... In an accident situation I would have NO RESTRAINT, which is what most people Do Not understand. The word "Rest" in Head Rest is an Abbreviation for "Restraint"

I remember when Ford came out with the larger multi adjustable Head Rest's on their 85 Models, they adjusted up and down and tilted back and forward, I loved them, because they actually were tall enough and adjusted forward enough to add protection, but unfortunately Ford received so many complaints about vision being an issue for people who didn't know how to adjust their head rests and passenger seats, they went to small, little head rests about the size of a Kleenex box, that only adjusted up and down in 91. (See Pic's Below)

The smaller non adjustable head rests were so bad that I actually went to a junk yard and got head rests from an older Lincoln Mark VII for my 92 Mark VII LSC and My Mom's 92 LSC-SE and had the leather dyed to match, and then used the small front head rests in the back seat which had none.
The only downside to those multi adjustable head rests was that in the event of a rear end collision the force of your head going backwards just allowed them to go back to their vertical position, but were still much higher than the newer ones, which is why the new Mustang's Headrests are Only Adjustable for Height, to Protect you in the event of an accident. Trust me Whiplash and Neck Injuries are No Fun!

Last edited by TampaBear67; 8/20/10 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: better head rests?