2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Best places to drive your new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/10, 08:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Then there's this, which I did on a motorcycle... and if it's fun on a motorcycle, it's fun on a Mustang:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.891953&z=11

and
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...3&ie=UTF8&z=12

and
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...6&ie=UTF8&z=13

All in one day, with various attaching roads.

The next day, this was pretty awesome, overall:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...53&ie=UTF8&z=9
(Ignore that appendix at Tilly, I dunno what Google Maps is doin')

Arkansas has some pretty decent stuff in them thar hills. And the roads we were on were all, I kid you not, *perfect*.

Last edited by houtex; 6/15/10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 7/7/10, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
This is all well and good, assuming you live somewhere with mountains, endless vistas and twisty country roads.

I'm stuck in the suburbs of Chicago. Road construction all summer, and snow all winter. Lots of traffic cops, and where the cops aren't, plenty of cameras to catch anyone breaking the driving laws and mail them a nice $90 ticket.

I'm wondering if I'll ever get to really put my Mustang through its paces once I get it. I can't just drive 1,000 miles from home for the sake of a fun drive.

I'd love to drive it through western Nebraska. My family and I were out there last summer (in a Toyota minivan we rented for the trip). You see another car on the road every five minutes or so. There's a town of 50 people or so about every 30 miles. Plenty of beautiful natural sites such as Scotts Bluff and Chimney Rock. Everyone drives 90 MPH and no cops anywhere.
Old 7/7/10, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Then there's this, which I did on a motorcycle... and if it's fun on a motorcycle, it's fun on a Mustang:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.891953&z=11

and
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...3&ie=UTF8&z=12

and
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...6&ie=UTF8&z=13

The next day, this was pretty awesome, overall:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...53&ie=UTF8&z=9
(Ignore that appendix at Tilly, I dunno what Google Maps is doin')

Arkansas has some pretty decent stuff in them thar hills. And the roads we were on were all, I kid you not, *perfect*.

Good roads in Arkansass...will I never LOL.
Some of them up in the hills are good. I need to get out that way.
PM next time you are going on a run. Im in Benton

Last edited by GRABOID; 7/7/10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 7/7/10, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by danimal15
This is all well and good, assuming you live somewhere with mountains, endless vistas and twisty country roads.

I'm stuck in the suburbs of Chicago. Road construction all summer, and snow all winter. Lots of traffic cops, and where the cops aren't, plenty of cameras to catch anyone breaking the driving laws and mail them a nice $90 ticket.

I'm wondering if I'll ever get to really put my Mustang through its paces once I get it. I can't just drive 1,000 miles from home for the sake of a fun drive.

I'd love to drive it through western Nebraska. My family and I were out there last summer (in a Toyota minivan we rented for the trip). You see another car on the road every five minutes or so. There's a town of 50 people or so about every 30 miles. Plenty of beautiful natural sites such as Scotts Bluff and Chimney Rock. Everyone drives 90 MPH and no cops anywhere.
It's not all that far from Chicago to the western edge of Illinois. The Great River Road which runs the length of the Mississippi River is supposed to be very scenic. I've only driven a little of it in Missouri but it was beautiful and full of curves. I'll refrain from commenting on the people who run the city of Chicago.

Last edited by RandyW; 7/8/10 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Missed a word.
Old 7/8/10, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool "Colorado Rockies"

My vote: Anywhere up in the Colorado Rockies! First choice. The Durango - Silverton - Ouray - Telluride loop! Second choice. Estes Park - Grand Lake - Winter Park via the Trail Ridge Road which tops out at 12,183 feet! Bring your camera as you will be blown away with these twisty mountain road views. All Good !! CalStang
Old 7/8/10, 10:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Rabbi Mike
In the NY Hudson Valley:

Harriman State Park -- http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/14...ing-there.aspx

Taconic State Parkway -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taconic_State_Parkway
Mike, I grew up in Stony Point and know both of these roads well. I second these for if people are in the are. Also pretty close for the Jersey folks. I always loved to drive Route 9W in the Tomkins Cove/Bear Mtn area. Great curves, hills, 55 MPH speed limit and most important...passing lanes.

Originally Posted by raidernixon
Interstate 10 between San Antonio, TX and Junction, TX.

Speed Limit is 75MPH =)

Highway 71 between Llano, TX and Austin, TX is very hilly, curvy, and scenic as well!
Now that I live in Texas I can second HWY 71 as well, which I've taken to Bee Cave. There's a few wineries not too far off of 71 which make for a cool day trip.
Old 7/8/10, 02:30 PM

I've heard some good reports about Lime Creek Road just outside of Austin, haven't driven it yet..
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...55747&t=h&z=15

and a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUXgds9pzrQ

Regards,
EddieZ
Austin, Tx
Old 7/8/10, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Good suggestion, thanks. I've driven on the river road in Wisconsin and it's quite scenic. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Old 7/8/10, 07:17 PM
Cobra R Member

In eastern Virginia, a good scenic drive (i.e. not high-speed handling course) is the Colonial Parkway, which is part of the National Park system. Start in Yorktown (site of the Cornwallis/British surrender in 1781) and drive the approximately 17 miles to Jamestown (1st permanent English settlement, 1607), or vice versa.

Both directions are toll-free, provide numerous scenic and/or historic pull-over areas, and have many miles along the shores of the James River and the York River. Be careful of the Park Rangers, who can write speeding tickets. There are no stoplights and speed limit is mostly 45 mph, except for a short 35-mph area in Williamsburg. So it's a great relaxing cruise.

For bonus fun, once you get to Jamestown, drive your Mustang onto the Jamestown Ferry toll-free (operated by VDOT) and take a 15-minute ferryboat ride to rural Surry, VA, across a 3 mile expanse of James River.
Old 7/8/10, 08:31 PM

The best place to drive a Mustang.....is anywhere and everywhere!!!!
Old 7/8/10, 10:33 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Def not I-5 in WA!
Old 7/9/10, 02:13 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
Dragon is still closed last I heard, but I'm definitely ready for it to open back up.
June 24, 2010: People continue to be confused about the status of the Dragon. The entire 11 miles of the Tail of the Dragon is open from 8 am to 8 pm. The only access is from US 129 in North Carolina. You cannot get to the Dragon via US 129 from Tennessee. Many people are now finding the Moonshiner 28. READ ABOUT IT HERE US 19 from Cherokee to Maggie Valley has been repaved. The Tapoco Lodge is now officially planning to open in March of 2011. Watch for updates on coming changes to the historic inn.

The afternoons have been hot with temps in the upper 80s. This causes widely scattered, short lived showers which quickly die-out. Don't let the forecasts of rain spoil a trip to the area.
Old 7/9/10, 09:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by EddieZ
I've heard some good reports about Lime Creek Road just outside of Austin, haven't driven it yet..
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...55747&t=h&z=15

and a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUXgds9pzrQ

Regards,
EddieZ
Austin, Tx
Lime Creek we did on the motorcycles in the rain. Silly group. Still VERY fun. Highly recommend it!
Old 8/23/10, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't drive Tail of the Dragon as I had planned, there just wasn't time to do everything. Besides, I've read elsewhere that law enforcement is very stringent currently. We did drive Blue Ridge Parkway in NC, all of the Cherohala Skyway, and Natchez Trace Parkway from around Nashville into Alabama and Mississippi. All of it was fun and beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails Best places to drive your new Mustang-rnc10-399.jpg   Best places to drive your new Mustang-rnc10-406.jpg   Best places to drive your new Mustang-rnc10-413.jpg   Best places to drive your new Mustang-rnc10-440.jpg   Best places to drive your new Mustang-rnc10-451.jpg  

Old 8/23/10, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

(ACH) Angeles Crest Highway (The 2) Starting in La Canada Flintridge, CA where I grew up. Its a very long windy mountain road that takes you threw the mountains to get to Lancaster / desert cities

EDIT: Note this is one of the most dangerous roads in the US. Motorcyclist/racers have been dying there almost every month its open. It gets close A LOT during the winter/rain seasons because of massive mud/rock slides. I would know, I drove that route almost every winter for past 8 winters going to Mammoth. And lived at the base of the mountain where that road starts for the first 18 years of my life.

This is a very curvey road. and literally has no guard rails over half of the 45 minute to 1 hour drive. most the point have over a 1,000 foot drop, some reach 2,000. This is a not a road to speed demon on like the dying motorcyclists like to think...

P.S. i know about all the people dying because my Half Brothers Dad works for the city and drives all the trucks up there, he is one of the few men who have to hook up and drag the motorcycles and cars up the sides of the mountain to get them out.

Last edited by Dreamtheory; 8/23/10 at 02:30 PM.
Old 8/23/10, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Big Tujunga Cyn Rd and Upper Big Tujunga Cyn Road just watch out for the cops and the motorcycles.
Old 8/23/10, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I live one mile from the BRP so great roads are in abundance. I have ridden the Dragon on my M/C and IMO there is too much traffic/hype/cops to enjoy it. There are sections of US 220 in NC that are much better. Cherohola is very nice. Skyline Drive in VA is beautiful but the speed limit is 35.

One of my all-time favs is Route 311 from Salem, VA to Sweet Springs, WV. The ride over Potts Mtn. is unforgettable and I don't think I've ever seen a LEO. Stop at Paint Bank, VA for a buffalo burger.

From the beautiful Homestead Resort in Hot Springs, VA, the loop of 220/250/42/39 through Monterey back to Warm Springs is wonderful. Goshen Pass is a highlight.

I have a friend who tells me the Hocking Hills area of OH has some of the best roads anywhere in the Eastern US. Still haven't got there myself. There are just so many great roads in VA/WV/NC that I find it hard to go anywhere else!
Old 8/23/10, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Canyon ED
Big Tujunga Cyn Rd and Upper Big Tujunga Cyn Road just watch out for the cops and the motorcycles.
+1, Can be a very nice drive... when its not crowded with ricers trying to race
Old 8/23/10, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

decker canyon in the malibu hills is one of my favorites
Old 8/23/10, 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 20115.0
decker canyon in the malibu hills is one of my favorites
i prefer your moms really really really long drive way

jk, never been to decker canyon, guess you and me will have to take that drive once you get your 5.0 TODAY

Quick Reply: Best places to drive your new Mustang