Sponsored By:

Best (2010) GT supercharger for the Money

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/10, 02:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
ehh... I don't need the 500-700+hp application tho

A few shops are installing the Roush TVS with under drive pulleys which puts the power at around 435rwhp, IIRC.
Old 1/11/10, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
"I installed a M90 on my 06 Auto last year. The car runs smoother now than without the supercharger. It runs great cold, hot, summer or winter. Mileage dropped about 1.5 MPG both city and highway. The instant torque is incredible. I know it doesn't have the power of some of the other units, but it has more than enough for my needs (all street, DD). The only downside is there is no way to make big jumps in boost since it's a small unit (not a concern for me)"

Where did you get it??? I'm interested in that kit for the exact same reasons. Throw up a few pics....peace

Last edited by black sunshine; 1/11/10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 1/11/10, 03:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMoose
Are you sure? I know vortech lists their kit as that, but I thought he was referring to the Brenspeed V3 kit which from what I've seen usually comes in around those numbers to the wheels, on a manual and dynojet.
Manual trans, dynojet, and Brenspeed's upgrades beyond what Vortech includes in the kit and you're likely 100% right.

I bought my kit as-delivered by Vortech, and it was advertised at 420hp/385tq at the flywheel with their 50-state-smog-legal tune. Also, my automatic sucks more power than a manual, the steep 4.10 gears hurt dyno #'s, and I had my dyno tuning done on a MustangDyno, which typically reads about 5-10% less rwhp than a DynoJet. Even with all those "excuses," it still made 364 rwhp (and likely would have made about 390-400 rwhp on a DynoJet). Assuming a 20% drivetrain loss for the automatic, my engine is making about 455 flywheel hp now with a custom dyno tune.

Now the V3 is just like my V2 (except that it is self oiled), but they all come with the Si-trim impeller now (vs the S-trim that I got 2 years ago). The Si-trim is 6% more efficient than the S-trim per Vortech, so it's that much better than what I have. Gotta love progress.
Old 1/12/10, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by black sunshine

Where did you get it??? I'm interested in that kit for the exact same reasons. Throw up a few pics....peace
I picked up a new kit off Ebay for $4K and did the install myself. Here are some pictures of the install.
Attached Thumbnails Best (2010) GT supercharger for the Money-img_3665.jpg   Best (2010) GT supercharger for the Money-img_3670.jpg   Best (2010) GT supercharger for the Money-img_2760.jpg   Best (2010) GT supercharger for the Money-img_2727.jpg  

Last edited by RonG; 1/12/10 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 1/14/10, 03:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Doogie
I am obviously biased about the Edelbrock, but given your mid-400 RWHP goal, this kit should not be overlooked. Not sure where you are getting the pricing, but the normal retail on the base kit is ~$5.8K and I have seen them on sale recently for $5K. But to put this into perspective, my base 5psi kit is putting down 422RWHP with everything else stock (fuel system and airbox) on a very conservative tune. Keep in mind that most of the bigger performance shops that carry them can give you a much better deal than advertised if you give them call... so definitely call around.

It is also realtively easy to install if want to save a few $$ as it took me about 13 hours with no help to get the task done. But should you decide to pay to have it installed, it should not be more than $800.
Thanks for the reply, having someone that actually has the system installed is great! I found one on American Muscle and after discount it's $5,400. Seems reasonable. I did a lot of research and reviews and yea, I see many churning out 400rwhp-430rwp with a nice efficient tq curve as well. To me the look of the kit is the best, very clean & sharp almost OEM. How much more different is the drive? Obviously, it's quicker... But like mid range rpm- 2-4k? 4k+? gas mileage take a huge tumble or not too bad?

And Like you, I'll probably keep the rest stock, so with that are you using a custom tune or does the kit come with a supplied one? 93 octane I take it?

Thanks for any and all insight!
Old 1/14/10, 03:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Thanks for the reply, having someone that actually has the system installed is great! I found one on American Muscle and after discount it's $5,400. Seems reasonable. I did a lot of research and reviews and yea, I see many churning out 400rwhp-430rwp with a nice efficient tq curve as well. To me the look of the kit is the best, very clean & sharp almost OEM. How much more different is the drive? Obviously, it's quicker... But like mid range rpm- 2-4k? 4k+? gas mileage take a huge tumble or not too bad?

And Like you, I'll probably keep the rest stock, so with that are you using a custom tune or does the kit come with a supplied one? 93 octane I take it?

Thanks for any and all insight!
I am with you on the looks comment as that is one of key things that drove my decision. The power difference is night and day. Mind you this was the first time I drove a FI with this kind of power and the feeling is nothing short of amazing. That RPM range you mentioned is where the torque is really kicking in

The gas mileage is directly related to your driving style as all these blowers have a vacuum by-pass and you are not generating boost unless you really jump on it. When driving "normal", gas mileage is almost the same as when it was NA. I can get low to mid 20s easily... but then again, that is no fun and I bought this car to drive!

As for the tune... the base kit like mine does come with a canned tune from Edelbrock for 91 octane. Although most everyone else installed those tunes without issue, mine was actually running very lean. So it was dyno tuned to correct for it, which is why my base kit is ~30RWHP more than the typical results (most have seen 394RWHP... which is also where mine baselined prior to making the change). Mine was actually tuned to accomodate the readily available 93 octane out here, which was mainly adding a bit more fuel and little timing.

I am getting bored with mine and plan to kick things up in the spring as my goal is to get this ragtop into the 11's
Old 1/14/10, 05:15 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Why not a turbo?

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 1/14/10 at 05:23 PM.
Old 1/14/10, 09:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Why not a turbo?

I was just thinking the same thing!!
Ive talked to a few people running the 62mm kits and they love em. No issues , just good, fast, fun!
Old 1/14/10, 11:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Depending where you live, passing smog is a pretty big issue with turbos!
Old 1/15/10, 05:10 AM

Get something more efficient than an M90. If you get a blower thats maxed out at lets say 450hp then you're overspinning the blower which increases wear. Get a Whipple, KB, Roush TVS, Edelbrock. All those perform well at 10psi and give you lots of room to grow
Old 1/15/10, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RonG
I picked up a new kit off Ebay for $4K and did the install myself. Here are some pictures of the install.
Looks good, nice kit. My goal was 425 horse/trq. I also wanted to spend a little on suspension and brakes. I've been combing ebay for a deal on this kit but I haven't found anything.
Old 1/15/10, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

never mind