2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Base GT vs Premium GT interior

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/10, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
My opinion: it depends on what you will do with the car -- if you just want a go-fast fun car that you'll only drive now and then for fun, then the base model is probably fine, and you can put the money you saved in the bank or into other go-fast mods.

But if you will drive it every day like I do, the Premium is well worth it -- yes I do drive with the stereo off and windows open sometimes to hear the engine, but the Shaker 500 is great for highway commutes . . . Sirus is awesome, where else can you get Grateful Dead and Howard Stern 24/7? . . . . hands-free Sync system is almost a must these days if you will be using a cell phone in the car . . . other goodies like My Color and ambient lighting are just bonuses.

Last edited by Bert; 8/19/10 at 02:42 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 8/19/10, 02:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys make good points. I just prefer to drive while im driving.
Old 8/19/10, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am glad I bought the base interior on my 2010. I like cloth better year round especially in hot weather. I like the gray/black dash better since I covered it with carbon and it covered better than the aluminum which I would want to cover as well. It weighs less not a lot maybe but I don't need electric seats since I am the only one who drives the car. I don't like the steering wheel so I swapped it for a used gt500 wheel from 09 piece of cake and really much nicer I think nicer than the 2010 premium wheel. I swapped the leather shift to match. The radio just doesn't matter much and I wouldn't want the weight of the extra speakers anyway.

Last edited by 908ssp; 8/19/10 at 04:12 PM.
Old 8/19/10, 04:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The weight difference is negligible.
Old 8/19/10, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Once you sit in a Premium you'll never go back.
Wrong. I sat in a 10 Premium and ordered an 11 Base. Also, I read on another board that the leather automatic seats weight 45 lbs more. I love my Base and haven't regretted it for a minute. I actually prefer the cloth seats. The only thing I wanted to order that I couldn't was the HIDs. I will add later, so no big deal. I changed the base wheel with the 09 Bullitt wheel and all is good.
Old 8/19/10, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the comment about every time you get in the car you feel spoiled. That is a good way to describe the feeling.

But truly like it was sad, it depends on your needs of the car.
Old 8/19/10, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Yeah, Sync is cool... but why do you guys need toys while driving a muscle car?

Isn't 412hp enough?!?
My Mustang will be my summer car, I drive 60 miles round trip to work every day 5-7 days a week, sometimes in heavy stop-and-go traffic. When I'm not doing that it will often be longer road trips where you want the radio to tune out the kids.

A nice exhaust tone and power is important but reality is that some people want to just crank tunes and drive...
Old 8/20/10, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky

A nice exhaust tone and power is important but reality is that some people want to just crank tunes and drive...
I agree!!! I love a great exhaust system but I also love my tunes to compliment it!!!
Old 8/20/10, 01:58 PM
V6 Member

After a few months of reading the threads and lots of thought....I'm really leaning to the simplicity of the Base GT with a 3.55 axle and 6 speed manual. The $3200 saved will go far for some mods. I'm a XM radio guy, so a integrated XM receiver into the stock head unit, better speakers with a amp and digital sound shaping....Then maybe a Borla exhaust.

Maybe my choice is shaped from riding sport-oriented motorcycles for almost 30 years. It is always about the ride, carving some fun twisties and enjoying being out in the scenery without alot of distractions. For my Mustang, less gadgets and electronics and more driving!

Last edited by Drew2000; 8/20/10 at 07:48 PM.
Old 8/20/10, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drew2000
For my Mustang, less gadgets and electronics and more driving!
Exactly! I almost always order my cars with no options. Most new cars have more stuff as standard equipment than I want anyway. To me, it's all about the driving.
Old 8/20/10, 02:39 PM
GT Member

People with extras and gadgets also go driving lol
Old 8/20/10, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Radiohead
. Also, I read on another board that the leather automatic seats weight 45 lbs more..
LOL...That's bogus...Don't believe everything you read on the intraweb.'''

Last edited by Modshack; 8/21/10 at 11:40 AM.
Old 8/20/10, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
LOL...That's bogus...Don's believe everything you read on the intraweb.'''
Are you sure? If you are comparing both front seats in cloth and manual vs power and leather, I can believe 45 lbs difference total. The difference between the power and manual seats in my Bullitt was 20 lbs more for the power seat, times two for both seats, andleather will be a couple of pounds heavier too. I wouldn't believe 45 lbs for one seat, but possibly for both.
Old 8/20/10, 04:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The power seats weigh MUCH MORE than the non-power seats ... I would say more like 25lbs ... so if you have the comfort package with dual power seats ... I can see 50lbs of savings ...
Old 8/20/10, 06:18 PM
GT Member

One of the things that is important to me is how my car looks in the parking lot as I walk away from it, or back to it as I return. That is one reason I always drive convertibles in flashy colors. And just as important as the exterior is the interior. I want it to 'POP' when I open the door. You have to put a few more bucks into the purchase to get that, but I believe it is well worth it. Feels so good as you look around inside your car as you drive it.
Attached Thumbnails Base GT vs Premium GT interior-img_3885.jpg  
Old 8/20/10, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Love the red brick and agree.
Old 8/20/10, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Huskernation
People with extras and gadgets also go driving lol
Oh, absolutely!..but I'm kinda "old skool" (probably more old than "skool"!) My first car was a hand-me-down 1970 Ford LTD with a 429. The total sum of the electronics on that car was the factory transitorized(!) push-button AM radio with a little "fader" **** near the parking brake release to balance the single dash and two rear-deck speakers. God I loved that car! (and the living-room sofa-sized rear seat)

Vintage '68 Mustang commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIm19J34MSY
Old 8/21/10, 05:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew2000
Maybe my choice is shaped from riding sport-oriented motorcycles for almost 30 years. It is always about the ride, carving some fun twisties and enjoying being out in the scenery without alot of distractions. For my Mustang, less gadgets and electronics and more driving!
I'm just the opposite - my Gold Wing is loaded with electronics (although I still enjoy the twisties) and I like my car the same way. I don't find them to be distractions - they just enhance my enjoyment of the ride/drive.

I also hate getting zapped by static electricity caused by cloth seats in the winter.
Old 8/21/10, 05:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Freshmeat
I'm the other way around... I have a premium and in all honesty, could have saved the thousands on premium and other upgrades and just bought a base GT. Either way, it's crazy fast. My next will be base model with a cloth interior. While the leather isn't terrible, it's too much money for stuff I hardly notice when driving around. The 500w stereo is usually off so I can hear the exhaust anyway.

If you're really on the fence go with the base model and save your thousands. I didn't and kinda wish I had.

Same here.. Love the little extras, but miss the comfort of cloth seats.
Old 8/21/10, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
The power seats weigh MUCH MORE than the non-power seats ... I would say more like 25lbs ... so if you have the comfort package with dual power seats ... I can see 50lbs of savings ...
Wow...If that's the case I retract my statement. I'm used to dealing with Euro cars where power adds pretty minimal weight to the equation. I can't imagine electrics would add that much , but maybe they do. It doesn't take much of a motor to adjust a seat. I'll reserve my opinion until someone actually weighs them..

Quick Reply: Base GT vs Premium GT interior