Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Base GT vs Premium GT interior

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/10, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Base GT vs Premium GT interior

Except for the leather, is there that much difference between a base and Premium interior on the GT? I don't care about the MyColor, Sirius, and other stuff that comes with the Premium package, and I would want to add my own leather. The dash, door panels, etc. should all be the same, right? My dealer doesn't have a base GT in stock, so I can't go look.

Just working on a backup plan in case the Boss doesn't pan out.

Last edited by JonW; 8/19/10 at 09:26 AM.
Old 8/19/10, 09:43 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are pretty significant differences between the base GT and premium GT interior wise. Here's the break down from what I know. Everyone is free to add anything I missed.

Premium:
Leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter
My color gauges and ambient lighting throughtout the cabin
Mach 500 radio, Sync and USB port
Door panels are trimmed differently
Dashboard paneling is metallic instead of black in the base
Power seats
More options are available (i.e. HID lights, electronic package)

I have the base GT and I like it. If my budget allowed, I would've gotten the premium in a heart beat but I settled for the base so I can at least have the 5.0.
Old 8/19/10, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WildPony619
There are pretty significant differences between the base GT and premium GT interior wise. Here's the break down from what I know. Everyone is free to add anything I missed.

Premium:
Leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter
My color gauges and ambient lighting throughtout the cabin
Mach 500 radio, Sync and USB port
Door panels are trimmed differently
Dashboard paneling is metallic instead of black in the base
Power seats
More options are available (i.e. HID lights, electronic package)

I have the base GT and I like it. If my budget allowed, I would've gotten the premium in a heart beat but I settled for the base so I can at least have the 5.0.
I'm the other way around... I have a premium and in all honesty, could have saved the thousands on premium and other upgrades and just bought a base GT. Either way, it's crazy fast. My next will be base model with a cloth interior. While the leather isn't terrible, it's too much money for stuff I hardly notice when driving around. The 500w stereo is usually off so I can hear the exhaust anyway.

If you're really on the fence go with the base model and save your thousands. I didn't and kinda wish I had.
Old 8/19/10, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hear ya, Freshmeat. I seldom used the radio in my last 2 Mustangs. The exhaust just sounds too good. The lack of power seats could be a deal-breaker, though. We both like power seats.
Old 8/19/10, 10:26 AM
GT Member

I debated this and ended up with the premium and 401a. Look at both and decide. The sync alone is almost worth it to me after using it. I sat in both and it was easy after that and I had not even used the sync at that point. Steering wheel really hurts the base as well but you can replace it.
Old 8/19/10, 10:28 AM

The base has different door speaker locations too I noticed right off when I picked mine up this week. Base Stereo still sounds good though. Steering wheel is the only think that sucks, but that can be easily replaced with a nicer factory one. I love the seats so far....but I'm not a big
leather fan.

As for no power seats, the drivers goes back n forth and up and down. Seems to fit what I need for adjustment. But the passenger seat can not be raised..which kind of blows for my 13 year old as he can't see much over the dash.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 8/19/10, 10:31 AM
GT Member

One of the other things that influenced my decision was easy hands free phone with a manual car. And the hands free works awesome.
Old 8/19/10, 10:59 AM
GT Member

Ok I know I have a 2010, but weighed in on the same thing, and I got the premium for all the reasons that WildPony619 stated but the big one that helped me decide was with the Shaker500 with USB/Synch is unbelievable, I wouldnt want a car without it.. Funny thing was, when I test drove the car, didnt even know it had it, after purchasing, found the power of it, and any new car I get, I want this as a standard option.
Old 8/19/10, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Its not even an option in Canada, the "base" is the 400a. Kind of glad however, that wheel is just plain fugly, extra instruments on the dash. I dunno, kinda makes you feel like you're driving a nicer car, just adds to the whole experience for me.

Plus after seeing the challenger and camaro interiors, i need more than that.
Old 8/19/10, 11:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cgjarvis
The base has different door speaker locations too I noticed right off when I picked mine up this week. Base Stereo still sounds good though. Steering wheel is the only think that sucks, but that can be easily replaced with a nicer factory one. I love the seats so far....but I'm not a big
leather fan.

As for no power seats, the drivers goes back n forth and up and down. Seems to fit what I need for adjustment. But the passenger seat can not be raised..which kind of blows for my 13 year old as he can't see much over the dash.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Chris, I agree with your assesment...and it figures that we would have a similar opinion on the topic seeing as how we have identical Mustangs. Clearly, you're a man of taste.
Old 8/19/10, 11:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Once you sit in a Premium you'll never go back.
Old 8/19/10, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Once you sit in a Premium you'll never go back.
Old 8/19/10, 12:18 PM
GTR Member

If all you want to see is a base interior so you can compare, then look at a base V6 car, interior is the same as a base GT.

I am not a big fan of the leather either but if I could afford it I would get the premium over a base just for the SYNC, it's really packed with content and is so slick in the way it works.

The other thing is resale/trade-in value will be so much better on a premium car.
Old 8/19/10, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, Sync is cool... but why do you guys need toys while driving a muscle car?

Isn't 412hp enough?!?
Old 8/19/10, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had a 1995 mustang v6 as my first car until I was like 20, and then I got my 2003 Mustang GT and had that until now (I'm not 25). If you don't know much about mustang interiors over the years.. well the 95 and the 03 have pretty similar interiors. I was so sick of seeing that interior, and that's why I opted for the 401a and it was worth every penny to me.
Old 8/19/10, 01:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

Isn't 412hp enough?!?
Its not so much a toy as a safety feature. My phone rings I hit a button and my hands don't leave the wheel. And I can talk on the phone without the worry of a ticket for it.
Old 8/19/10, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Isn't 412hp enough?!?
Originally Posted by csledd
I had a 1995 mustang v6 as my first car until I was like 20, and then I got my 2003 Mustang GT and had that until now (I'm not 25). If you don't know much about mustang interiors over the years.. well the 95 and the 03 have pretty similar interiors. I was so sick of seeing that interior, and that's why I opted for the 401a and it was worth every penny to me.
+1 I agree 100%, plus if you get in a car crash and you don't dial 911, SYNC does it automatically for you...

Plus the more toys, more fun. No kid is ever fine with 1 toy..
Old 8/19/10, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

I was originally thinking of pretty much the same thing you are. Get the base, get some heated katzkins... For me, the choice to go with the premium and add the electronics package was one of the best decisions I made. I absolutely feel spoiled every time I get in the car. After all the interior is where we the owners are sitting. We deserve a little sophistication.
Old 8/19/10, 02:28 PM
GT Member

Isn't 412hp enough?!?
Well, I actually drive my car all the time so its not just a muscle car, its my muscle car!!. I have a daily driver but I use the USB for music, synch for calls, weather, movies, traffic updates and even baseball scores, its a great feature, if it didnt, we would all be complaining "why is this not an option ?"

I mean no one needs a glass roof, but people use that option! The more options for a vehicle the better, at least give people the choice to have it. Same with the NAV, its nice option to have but I dont need it.

Last edited by mustang1979; 8/19/10 at 02:31 PM.
Old 8/19/10, 02:28 PM
GT Member

Premium

Premium, its nice.... GT/CS

Quick Reply: Base GT vs Premium GT interior