Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

AWD on future models

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/11, 04:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
If the AWD is designed with handling in mind, like the Evo, WRK-STi, Porsche 911 Turbo, GT3 or Aventador, it could do wonders in terms of handling. A mean when a Mitsubishi Lancer with AWD, talking about the Evo here, gets mentioned with super cars because of its handling that tells you what it can do.
This is just simply not entirely correct. The amount of drive wheels has little impact on overall handling. What you're talking about is how the suspension and chassis is designed. You're talking about tire compounds, slip angles, moment of inertia, roll center.

The EVO, STi, GT3 (which isn't awd) all handle well because they've had a ton of effor and money into designing a chassis and suspension system that allows them too.

Have you ever driven an all wheel drive car around a proper track? What do they do? They push in to corners and refuse to rotate. You learn how to drive the car around this, just as you learn to drive a rear drive car around loose on exit.

The main difference here? Loose is fast.

Those same cars with the same suspension designs but sans all wheel drive, would likely be quicker around a paved racing surface than the same car with it's all wheel drive in tact.
Old 9/22/11, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

**** this got intense real quick. Like I said in my original post, I know it won't ever happen. I wasn't sure if it would benefit at all for the track and after reading everyone's post I can see why it wouldn't help. I agree, the Mustang is a long hood, short ***, big engine kinda car and I know it's gonna stay that way for the most part. I'm hearing Ecoboost I-4 for 2015 as an option? Not my cup of tea but I'm sure there will be plenty of people who jump all over that. Plus, I hear it would have minimum 300HP.

The reason I started this was just to hear people comments and statements about the AWD idea. No real reason I guess. Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming.
Old 9/22/11, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't want another plow with the motor completely in front of the front wheels. AWD has its place but mustang is not it.

I traded an Audi S4 that was tracked regularly for the mustang, and I couldn't be happier. Finally a car in my hands that actually rotates through a corner instead of plowing through the entry and then whenever I get into the power.
Old 9/22/11, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

Anybody read the latest Motor Trend? The Evo beat the Mustang GT and others for the best handling car under $40k. The computer puts extra spin on certain wheels to rotate it through the curves.

Isn't the Mustang a 4x4 now? That's why I bought the FRPP lowering springs.
Old 9/22/11, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I brought it up half joking in one of those what would you like to see next gen threads. I think it would be an interesting option but not at all a big seller.
Old 9/22/11, 05:58 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnamover
Anybody read the latest Motor Trend? The Evo beat the Mustang GT and others for the best handling car under $40k. The computer puts extra spin on certain wheels to rotate it through the curves.

Yeah but it's an evo. A fast lancer. That thing could be rocket propelled, I'm not driving one. But I'm no fan of Vin deisel movies anyways.
Old 9/22/11, 06:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There u go.
Old 9/22/11, 06:37 PM

You could literally 'crush' a camaro with one if those haha!
Old 9/22/11, 06:42 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just cannot bring myself to own a mitsu.. I love evo's but its like buying a car from the a company that made Navi tanks.
Old 9/22/11, 06:44 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Vorian
You could literally 'crush' a camaro with one if those haha!
I am sure the mullet would think thats totally killer
Old 9/22/11, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlmounce

The EVO, STi, GT3 (which isn't awd) all handle well because they've had a ton of effor and money into designing a chassis and suspension system that allows them too.
LOL.

The AWD on these cars are more advanced than what you find on a typical truck. A computer adjust power front to back or side to side or in some cases, like in the Evo, to each wheel individually to help guide the car.
Old 9/22/11, 07:29 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

you do know most track prep evos bias the power to the rear wheels. AWD is like track training wheels.
Old 9/22/11, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

AWD = awesome

Mustang = awesome

Mustang + AWD = WTF

The Mustang is not supposed to be AWD. It defeats the purpose. Now as others have stated, an AWD turbo 4 Focus would be all that and a bag of chips.
Old 9/22/11, 08:17 PM
GT Member

At least it will be cool to have the first AWD sports car with a live front axel.
Old 9/22/11, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Magnamover

Apparently you didn't read it thoroughly. While they picked the EVO over the mustang, much of that decision was based on the mustangs lack of feel and non-supportive seats.

They even said that had track times been the benchmark, the mustang was the one to have. It was, if memory serves correct, about a second faster than it's nearest rival around the same track.
Old 9/22/11, 08:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
Apparently you didn't read it thoroughly. While they picked the EVO over the mustang, much of that decision was based on the mustangs lack of feel and non-supportive seats.

They even said that had track times been the benchmark, the mustang was the one to have. It was, if memory serves correct, about a second faster than it's nearest rival around the same track.

Yea, I read it. I stand corrected, it was Car and Driver not Motor Trend. Actually the Evo won due to its suspension. I have always admired the Evos performance from a distance being a car guy but it was never for me.

My G35x awd handled just fine at the Glen a couple years ago.

You also may have missed the section that the Evo over drives the outer wheels to rotate the car(to correct your earlier post)
Old 9/23/11, 05:16 AM
GTR Member

If the new platform spawns a Lincoln variant, then I could see AWD on that model. Don't expect it to come down to the Mustang. It goes away from its roots, and would give the Lincoln some distinguishing features, which is the direction they want to take the brand in the next 4-7 years.
Old 9/23/11, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

^Many of the current Lincoln models already have AWD available or standard, so that would not be a surprise at all.
Old 9/23/11, 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

although for the driving I do an AWD mustang would be perfect, i also think it would take away from the character of the car. maybe make it too pratical. If was was looking for power and AWD i would have bought a 335 xdrive.

Last edited by xlover; 9/24/11 at 06:29 PM.
Old 9/23/11, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's a shame Mercury isn't around any more to produce the Cougar... now that would've been good with AWD.

Quick Reply: AWD on future models