Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

AWD on future models

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/11, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD on future models

Ok, let me begin by saying that if you intend to post rude comments saying this is dumb and what not then I prefer you don't post at all.

This subject got brought up on the SVTPerformance forum and I figured I'd start a thread about it on this forum as well.

I know it's a really long shot that AWD will ever be an option for Mustangs but if it was, who'd be interested? I know this relates more to people who will/do track their cars and less to those who are into drag racing. Personally, I'd be all over getting a model with AWD. So many benefits for everyday driving and of course tracking.

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments.
Old 9/22/11, 01:30 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Meh. I don't see any room to fit it. Front diff will be really small and weak. Oil pan will need an axle pass through. Just pointless. Still won't touch a gtr either. Cool idea but ford will never be able to make it work correctly.
Old 9/22/11, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

It will literally never happen. Not on a mustang branded car anyway.

I'd also like to point out that your conjecture concerning road course use is more opinion based than that of fact. With the exception of rally, road racing events are dominated by rear drive cars. The reason being that front and all wheel drive cars ask the front wheels to do two tasks at once. It's a compromise to handling and acceleration

Indy, formula 1, NASCAR, Rolex cup and so on. None of them use all wheel drive cars.
Old 9/22/11, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be more of a touring car and less of a pony car.
Old 9/22/11, 01:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
4 wheel drive has its place................just not in a Mustang
Old 9/22/11, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

If it is as good as the Evo, WRX-STi, Audi then yes. If is like BMW's or Dodge Charger's system where 100% of the time is RWD until it detects a slip, then not. Unfortunately Mustangs purists are so against anything new or hi-tech that I doubt we will ever see a AWD Mustang.
Old 9/22/11, 03:00 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
If it is as good as the Evo, WRX-STi, Audi then yes. If is like BMW's or Dodge Charger's system where 100% of the time is RWD until it detects a slip, then not. Unfortunately Mustangs purists are so against anything new or hi-tech that I doubt we will ever see a AWD Mustang.
I do not think it has to do with new or high tech. Its about being a proper pony car and race car. You will not find mroe high tech or a larger money pit then a F1 car and I have yet to see a AWD system on one of those.
Old 9/22/11, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Nope, I have no desire for Ford to do that. The only real benefit, IMO, would be making it a better year-round car for everyday driving. For the track, it is not going to improve anything.

I'd love to see an AWD turbo Focus as a WRX/STi competitor though. Just not a part of the Mustang and no reason to add it. And, ironically enough, the new Subaru sports car built off the Toyota FT-86 concept is going to be RWD-only. Surprised me but here's more detail and some of Subaru's logic: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/01/g...ter-non-turbo/
Old 9/22/11, 03:06 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 on the awd focus.
Old 9/22/11, 03:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
+1 on the awd focus.
Ya, Id be interested !
Old 9/22/11, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

+1 on the awd focus.
I've been waiting for that since the svt
Old 9/22/11, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I understand what AWD would do for an SUV but what would it do for you in a Mustang? I'm not being facetious I just don't quite understand.
Old 9/22/11, 03:25 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I wouldn't mind an awd falcon. In a mustang, it will probably require a transverse V8. Gonna be really front heavy. Just not a good idea. IMO.
Old 9/22/11, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I do not think it has to do with new or high tech. Its about being a proper pony car and race car. You will not find mroe high tech or a larger money pit then a F1 car and I have yet to see a AWD system on one of those.
What is a proper pony car?

Porsche 911 Turbo, GTR, Lamborghini Aventador and Audi R8 are more race/track oriented sports cars than a Mustang and they all use AWD even thought real race cars don't so I'm not sure what are you getting at.
Old 9/22/11, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx
I understand what AWD would do for an SUV but what would it do for you in a Mustang? I'm not being facetious I just don't quite understand.
It would add weight and complexity while likely dropping both acceleration and cornering performance while simultaneously increasing fuel consumption.

The mustang (especially the 2011+ models) don't suffer from traction issues and are so neutral in the corners that it's easy to coax speed out of.
Old 9/22/11, 03:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
What is a proper pony car?

Porsche 911 Turbo, GTR, Lamborghini Aventador and Audi R8 are more race/track oriented sports cars than a Mustang and they all use AWD even thought real race cars don't so I'm not sure what are you getting at.
Porsche drops the AWD for their most track-oriented cars (GT2, GT3, etc.). The 911 Turbo is their most high-po car for the street.

A pony car is a 2-door, RWD car with a long hood and a short rear deck. Before the new 3.7 V6, I would have said a proper one had a V8 but that's no longer true either!
Old 9/22/11, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

An AWD Mustang sure would be nice to have in the winter!

Especially since I'll be driving it in the snow anyway.

NewPony- The 06-09 Chargers were full-time AWD with a 38%F-62%R split. The '10+ AWD system is RWD unless it's in "manual shift mode" using the auto-stick, detects rain on the windshield, or if it's below 40*F. I liked the full-time system better, frankly. My V6, AWD Charger was surprisingly good on road courses, too! My best laptime at Mid Ohio was 1:58 on street tires.
(Especially good running NJMP Thunderbolt in the rain! -street tires, not slicks-)
Old 9/22/11, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx
If the AWD is designed with handling in mind, like the Evo, WRK-STi, Porsche 911 Turbo, GT3 or Aventador, it could do wonders in terms of handling. A mean when a Mitsubishi Lancer with AWD, talking about the Evo here, gets mentioned with super cars because of its handling that tells you what it can do.
Old 9/22/11, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
It would add weight and complexity while likely dropping both acceleration and cornering performance while simultaneously increasing fuel consumption.

The mustang (especially the 2011+ models) don't suffer from traction issues and are so neutral in the corners that it's easy to coax speed out of.
If the AWD is designed with weather handling in mind I agree.
Old 9/22/11, 04:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the AWD is designed with weather handling in mind I agree.
The 2011+ Mustang with a stick axle runs better lap times and corners with more grip that an EVO or STi in every test I've seen that features them all. So that argument isn't really valid either.

There might be some better feel aspects to those cars, but feel doesn't always translate to lap times.

Like I said earlier, AWD only reins supreme on non-pavement driving experiences. Notice that the cars you're talking about were never designed as road course cars. They all started as rally cars, where AWD is certainly a huge benefit.

If that's what you want, then by all means, you should buy an all wheel drive car. The mustang was never meant for this type of activity and it has never been designed for it.

Although some would like it, the majority of mustang buyers don't want that feature. Not to mention it would royally **** off the purists. John Coletti said it best. "There's a lot of things you can mess up and probably get away with. If you mess up the mustang, those people will come to your house."

This thread, and all others on this subject are moot. The mustang will likely never have all wheel drive.

There might be a car built for other markets based on the mustang that might get something like that in the future (though I'm not holding my breath), but it won't happen on the mustang.

These threads pop up every time there is a redesign coming up. Every time the mustang comes out with rwd. You see the same thing with the Corvette and a mid-engine. Ever time there's a redesign in the works, threads pop up all over the place stating it should, or will be or could have a mid-engine.

Last edited by jlmounce; 9/22/11 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: AWD on future models