Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Automatic - Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/14, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Automatic - Sport Mode

I was playing around the other day in sport mode and when I tapped the gas pedal quickly, the car downshifted and stayed in the lower gear for about 2 seconds. After it shifted up to 5th I did it again and it stayed in the lower gear until I finally shifted into D.

Has anyone else played with the sport shift like this? Would this be usable on the track to downshift going into corners? Seems like that might be what it is designed for but no one has ever told us that the transmission does such a thing.
Old 6/12/14, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The auto trannies in the 2013 and 2014 are really not that bad. Much better than the prior versions. When you really press the gas in S, it holds the gear much longer, and you can even keep it in gear, without it up shifting if you let of just a little again.
When you use the toggle switch, you have full control over the shifting yourself. Quick shifts can be made if, when you press the toggle button, let of the gas, like you would also do when you drive stick. If you keep your foot on the gas, it will change gears a lot slower.

The only thing that I would really like to have are paddle shifters on the steering wheel instead of the toggle switch.
Old 6/12/14, 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I drive Sport Mode with my foot and with the button on the shifter. I had a 2011 6R80 and it would never shift like the 2014.
Old 6/12/14, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
assuming its fine to gift into and out of sport mode on the fly while driving down the road?

2600 miles and i haven't used it once because i literally forget i have it.
Old 6/12/14, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The trick is to let off the gas as soon as you toggle the up shift on the button, then to re -apply the gas. The re applying of the gas after the shift has been made is a little tricky to time, but if you get it right the car will rip forward and chirp the tires all the way up to third gear.

Was allot easier to time on my v6, but the GT is different, and the torque convert is a little slower due to the power difference between the engines.

Last edited by xtc.inc; 6/12/14 at 10:39 PM.
Old 6/13/14, 01:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The differences in shift logic I've noticed with Sport Mode are:
  1. It will hold gears a little longer during moderate to heavy acceleration.
  2. Letting off the gas will not cause an automatic up-shift (good for corners).
  3. No shift into 6th. You have to hit the button.
I use Sport mode for around town and mountain driving. "D" is for freeway or stop and go.

When I'm carving corners I'm usually on the gas hard in a lower gear, then on the brakes at the last minute entering the turn. Sport mode will usually hold the gear for me so I can come out hard. I wouldn't want to stab the gas even more during entry and risk loosing it. Maybe it would work if you're going slow, but I don't do that very much if I don't have to. I think it is much better to use the button to select the proper gears when you are really pushing hard!
Old 6/13/14, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I do like the auto other than the soft shifts. The sport mode should firm those up in my opinion but they don't that I can tell.
Old 6/13/14, 06:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One other thing I like about using the toggle is the rev matching when down shifting
Old 6/13/14, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
The trick is to let off the gas as soon as you toggle the up shift on the button, then to re -apply the gas. The re applying of the gas after the shift has been made is a little tricky to time, but if you get it right the car will rip forward and chirp the tires all the way up to third gear. Was allot easier to time on my v6, but the GT is different, and the torque convert is a little slower due to the power difference between the engines.
I am going to try this now.
Old 6/13/14, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mrc728
I am going to try this now.
**My mistake**

You need to let off the throttle right before you upshift, then when the shift is complete smash the throttle back down.
Old 6/13/14, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
The trick is to let off the gas as soon as you toggle the up shift on the button, then to re -apply the gas. The re applying of the gas after the shift has been made is a little tricky to time, but if you get it right the car will rip forward and chirp the tires all the way up to third gear.

Was allot easier to time on my v6, but the GT is different, and the torque convert is a little slower due to the power difference between the engines.
It is fun, but be careful. This is very hard on the transmission.
Old 6/13/14, 12:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
The auto trannies in the 2013 and 2014 are really not that bad. Much better than the prior versions. When you really press the gas in S, it holds the gear much longer, and you can even keep it in gear, without it up shifting if you let of just a little again.
When you use the toggle switch, you have full control over the shifting yourself. Quick shifts can be made if, when you press the toggle button, let of the gas, like you would also do when you drive stick. If you keep your foot on the gas, it will change gears a lot slower.

The only thing that I would really like to have are paddle shifters on the steering wheel instead of the toggle switch.
I have a C6 Corvette with the A6, and paddle shifters. They work great if your on a winding road with easy curves, But, if you get into the real twisties, your hands aren't always in the right place to shift the gears. Of course it's the same problem when your in the Mustang, and have to use both hands to place the car into the curve. I said all that to say I guess I'm Ok with either.

One thing, I do wish the Corvettes tranny was a quick as the Mustang. If you've driving the C6, and the Mustang I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Old 6/13/14, 12:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CLARKIES GT
One other thing I like about using the toggle is the rev matching when down shifting
is this real life?
Old 6/13/14, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Some people grouse about the button on the Mustang shifter, but if you were driving a manual that is where your hand would be - on the shifter. I used mine extensively on our just completed road trip (twisty mountain roads) and I love it.
Old 6/13/14, 01:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
Some people grouse about the button on the Mustang shifter, but if you were driving a manual that is where your hand would be - on the shifter. I used mine extensively on our just completed road trip (twisty mountain roads) and I love it.
I've always felt column mounted paddles were better then buttons on the shifter, and wheel mounted paddles being the worst.

I had an auto in my Focus with the Select shift, and the shifter buttons aren't the worst. I still would prefer column mounted paddles, though.

The issue I had with the shift **** buttons was when I had to go down and shift real quick then get my hands back on the wheel. Real easy to press the wrong button in such scenarios.
Old 6/13/14, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
True, in a manual, your hand would be on the shifter. But if we had paddles on the steering column, it would maybe better than a manual car ....
Old 6/17/14, 06:27 AM

PADDLE SHIFTERS

Originally Posted by Plim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=273Xq9mdcGE
Old 6/17/14, 06:32 AM

PADDLE SHIFT

is this real life?

Sorry, I don't know what you are saying.
Old 6/17/14, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CLARKIES GT
is this real life?
Yes - The Automatic transmissions in the 2013+ Mustang rev matches on down shifts, makes for a very nice transition that doesn't upset the car with engine braking.

Only bad thing I've found is that with the stock exhaust and radio on low, coupled with my half deaf left ear, I don't hear the engine and down shift too far too quick since it's just a quick flick of your thumb, sometimes putting the car in one gear lower than I wanted.

Last edited by kn7671; 6/17/14 at 09:25 AM.
Old 6/17/14, 03:06 PM

EASY FIX FOR DOWNSHIFTING PROPER GEAR 6r80

Originally Posted by kn7671
Yes - The Automatic transmissions in the 2013+ Mustang rev matches on down shifts, makes for a very nice transition that doesn't upset the car with engine braking.

Only bad thing I've found is that with the stock exhaust and radio on low, coupled with my half deaf left ear, I don't hear the engine and down shift too far too quick since it's just a quick flick of your thumb, sometimes putting the car in one gear lower than I wanted.

Not a problem, look at the gear selection displayed in the dash cluster and get a set of borla s type or roush axle backs. Problem solved, yes?

Quick Reply: Automatic - Sport Mode