It's going to at least be an option.
Old 10/10/08, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it's about time.
Old 10/10/08, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I am so pleased to have auto headlights and CC available in the Mustang. Got used to having them in our other vehicles & started to feel let down about not being able to get them in a Mustang. Part of why I was hoping for an upscale Mercury variant.

But if Ford OFFERS such amenities in the Mustang, it saves the cost of doing a low-volume Mercury while broadening the Mustang's appeal.

And those who prefer a more elemental Mustang can have their wish, too. Best of all worlds.,,

(Of course, it's gonna cost me a bundle to get a GT w/everything. C'est la vie.)
Old 10/10/08, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are these the headlights that turn on automatically when its dark outside and turn off after some time after the car turns off?
Old 10/10/08, 09:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yessir.

It is the same switch as on the current Fusion etc.
Old 10/10/08, 10:40 AM

Man that's nice. Bring on the amenities!
Old 10/10/08, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Big deal, I turn that feature off on my wife's car all the time. People get too lazy/hooked on the feature then forget to turn lights on in other cars that don't have it. Plus all of these extra, laziness-enhansing features end up costing a bundle as the manufacturer bundles them in with features that are actually useful like trip computers (mpg, ET, trip miles, etc).

Now don't anyone go and suggest DRLs should be standard 'cause then I'll really have to go ape.
Old 10/10/08, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont even like this feature. Id rather decide when i want my lights on.
Old 10/10/08, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mot250
Big deal, I turn that feature off on my wife's car all the time. People get too lazy/hooked on the feature then forget to turn lights on in other cars that don't have it. Plus all of these extra, laziness-enhansing features end up costing a bundle as the manufacturer bundles them in with features that are actually useful like trip computers (mpg, ET, trip miles, etc).

Now don't anyone go and suggest DRLs should be standard 'cause then I'll really have to go ape.
DRLs should be standard!
Old 10/10/08, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang05
I dont even like this feature. Id rather decide when i want my lights on.
You can. They are not ONLY automatic. You can still turn them on and off at your leisure. It's just one more click if you want it in automatic mode.
Old 10/10/08, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
DRLs should be standard!
I'll keep this short because I think you're just baiting me and I don't want to seriously hijack the thread.

I have no problems seeing oncoming cars for at least a mile in normal daylight conditions. If anyone needs the headlights to be lit on an oncoming car at the distance of a mile away in normal daylight conditions, or if anyone has a problem such that it is too difficult to remember to turn on your lights when conditions warrant headlights, then there are some more serious issues to contend with that DRLs can not fix...

Old 10/10/08, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
You can. They are not ONLY automatic. You can still turn them on and off at your leisure. It's just one more click if you want it in automatic mode.
The ease of turning off the feature is not the issue.

If it is so easy to turn the feature off, why is it not so easy to just turn on the lights when needed? It's just click of a switch. Right?

Don't tell me I'm lazy because I don't want to have to turn the feature off when the person wanting the feature to begin with is essentually admitting to being lazy first.

Ford does not need to add another $10 switch here, $10 there, $20 in another place... that ends up costing me $100's or more when grouped with other "convenience" features that are not necessary. Not to mention the weight that all of these additional switches, electric motors and wiring adds to our cars and potential wiring gremlins later on.
Old 10/10/08, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll keep this short because I think you're just baiting me and I don't want to seriously hijack the thread.

I have no problems seeing oncoming cars for at least a mile in normal daylight conditions. If anyone needs the headlights to be lit on an oncoming car at the distance of a mile away in normal daylight conditions, or if anyone has a problem such that it is too difficult to remember to turn on your lights when conditions warrant headlights, then there are some more serious issues to contend with that DRLs can not fix...

Yep, I was baiting. But I did go on a trip this week and on the way back, it was raining slightly. Mostly a constant drizzle, but worse in some spots. I had people behind me and coming towards me that didnt have their lights on. Visibility was horrible at times and it didnt help that the Ford Fusion behind me was silver. A semi turned left in front of the fusion and the fusion barely missed it by nailing the brakes. They still proceeded to drive without lights. So, yes sometimes there are more serious issues involved.
As far as cost being increased, the more vehicles that use that same switch, the less it costs to add. Does it weigh more? Doubt it. Does it increase gremlins? Doubt it again, you still have a switch there.
Personally, I still prefer a choice because I am conscientous enough to turn on my lights at the appropriate time.
Old 10/10/08, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll just settle for the HEADLIGHTS that runningwild4.6 has in his avatar.

There! This thread is officially hijacked.
Old 10/10/08, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 10/10/08, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I like 'em. If they'd also have the headlights turn on when you activate the wipers (which is just a program in the sjb) then all problems would be solved.
Old 10/10/08, 03:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep all these dooda's. I have them all in my Japanese SUV. Just give me the rumble of a 400 HP 5.0 a steering wheel and 2 seats.
Old 10/10/08, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Keep all these dooda's. I have them all in my Japanese SUV. Just give me the rumble of a 400 HP 5.0 a steering wheel and 2 seats.

I'm a total minimalist when it comes to Mustangs which is probably why I drive a 5.0 LX. You can keep all your bells, whistles, bits, bobbles and bling, I just want a simple car with a big engine (which is what a Mustang basically is supposed to be). It's just something else to break down the road.

I guess option packages are good money makers for Ford though.
Old 10/10/08, 07:11 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino

I'm a total minimalist when it comes to Mustangs which is probably why I drive a 5.0 LX. You can keep all your bells, whistles, bits, bobbles and bling, I just want a simple car with a big engine (which is what a Mustang basically is supposed to be). It's just something else to break down the road.

I guess option packages are good money makers for Ford though.
It's also cheaper in the long run.
One set of options/toys... means they don't have to make serparate panels and switches.
The ones that want more, outweigh thoughs that want few...

Even remembering back to the 94-98 GTS's (the stripper models)
I remember them not selling that well, they were too bare bones.
Great for the 5 people that wanted roll up windows
Old 10/10/08, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Amen. I see more idiots driving in downpours with their headlights off. The reason? They get used to their car doing it for them. DRL's are not necessary. Just turn your low-beam headlights on when driving during daylight. You won't blind anybody.

Quick Reply: Auto Headlights Confirmed