Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

It arrived... wait a sec no it didn't

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/10, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It arrived... wait a sec no it didn't

Well as some of you know the fiasco going on with my order.. my previous thread is merged with the holds thread...

so i get a call from my dealer.. "your car has arrived" rush down there walk to the prepping area..

NOT my sterling grey gt//

was the dealer stock from other dealership.. i wasnt peod disappointed.. figured at this point it gets here when it gets here. the cool thing is the dealer said im sorry.. threw me the keys and said lets go for a ride..

31 miles on the car. 3.31 rear.. 6speed

anyone who says these cars arnt impressive.. need to learn to shut off the TC and how to drive.
even with the tc this car very fast and will slam you in the seat.. (sotp meter peaking), smooth, and quiet and very deceptive on you actual speed, handled like on rails. and went where i threw it..

was asked to jump on the highway and " opener up ".. on the on ramp shut of the TC.. waited for the road to clear a bit which is tough on i-95 at 4:30 pm, launching like i do at the track,, and this thing screamed.. scared the hell out of my GF.. she wasnt expecting the car to have that much power.

overall i loved the car.. now i cant wait for mine to arrive..
Old 6/25/10, 11:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

So it felt awesome even with the 3.31's? That's nice, because I was almost regretting getting them.

Of course, coming from a 1994 Honda Accord is my basis of comparison.
Old 6/26/10, 03:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
So it felt awesome even with the 3.31's? That's nice, because I was almost regretting getting them.

You'd better not turn off the stability/TC for a couple of months...........could get in trouble.
Old 6/26/10, 04:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dragstart
You'd better not turn off the stability/TC for a couple of months...........could get in trouble.
Old 6/26/10, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

the 3.31's felt (sotp) felt like my dad 87 Gt, then when the car hit around 4k took off like even harder.
felt like a small turbo kick'n

Originally Posted by dragstart

Joker if your coming form a honda, get a feel for the car dont just get in it, then jump on it. at least a few weeks.

i dont wanna read "i just got my car "then 2 weeks later.. "your not gonna believe what happend"..
i hate those threads.. ive seen too many of them.. (off my soap box)

just a warning to all.. this car is VERY Deceptively fast . totally different feeling of power from my prev Procharged 95 GT, and the sotp rush is almost identicle . i can see how these cars hit 12.3's on dr's im sure possibly even faster..

Last edited by pony racer; 6/26/10 at 09:36 AM.
Old 6/26/10, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jokestar wait until you get the car to decide if you need more gear. The 3.31 will absolutely melt the tires in 1st gear if you feel the need and has run 12.58 @ 112 in stock trim. I have absolutely not felt the need for more gear than my 3.55 on the street. As a matter of fact 3.31 would make 1st more usable. Its simply a whole new game with the lower 1st gear and close gear ratios in the new trans.

I know you were worried about fuel mileage but if you use moderate (not light) throttle and short shift at low rpm you will both out pace any other traffic and get excellent mpg. My fuel mileage has ranged from 19.96 - 25.26 mpg on 93 octane through the 1st 5 tanks and my driving is 80% City. Car has averaged 22.5 mpg lifetime. 4 Tanks of E10 and 1 of G100 which so far seems to be worth roughly 3-5% on mileage. Dont let the Info Center discourage you as it seems to read low on all the cars. Mine reads 7% low.
Old 6/26/10, 12:44 PM
Cobra R Member

I am forced to have 3.31 (convertible), but yesterday I chirped the tires on the 3-4 upshift (about 95 mph, sorry wasn't staring at my speedo), so there's no shortage of go! However, to me the gearing just seems SO TALL that I plan to switch to 3.55 (maybe 3.73, but I think 3.55 will be just right), just for better driveability's sake. Feels like I am lugging everywhere on most of these 35-45 mph streets in 5th. I think the 3.55 would put me in to a slightly sweeter spot on the torque curve in around-town driving in 3rd/4th/5th, without too much penalty in mpg on the highway in 6th.

So far I am getting about 20.5 mpg around town and commuting, but then again, I'm REALLY enjoying this upgrade in horsepower from 244 in my Accord V6 to 412 (and torque upgrade from 212 to 390).
Old 6/30/10, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I really enjoyed the 3.31 gears in the car I test drove. I didn't get to do much driving but I don't really feel like any of the gear sets feel bad in either city or highway driving. That's just me though. I will probably be sticking with the 3.31. I too am coming off of an Accord V6 so the 3.31's felt very solid. Between the 3.31 and the 3.73's in the cars I test drove, the 3.31's seemed smoother. For daily driving I think I will enjoy the 3.31 or 3.55 the most. Don't be ashamed of the 3.31's. It's still a 12 second car.
Old 6/30/10, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
i dont wanna read "i just got my car "then 2 weeks later.. "your not gonna believe what happend"..
i hate those threads.. ive seen too many of them.. (off my soap box)
Hmmmm... why does that ring a giant church bell in my head?... Hmmmmm... something about bronzer...
Old 6/30/10, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey
Hmmmm... why does that ring a giant church bell in my head?... Hmmmmm... something about bronzer...
GTL BABY!!
Old 6/30/10, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

i read on another forum he was street racing..an braggin how fast the 2011 is.. didnt he take one for a test ride and say " im not impressed"?

when i typed that out he was in mind but so were others on other types of forums.. ( bike's etc.)

Last edited by pony racer; 6/30/10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 6/30/10, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Eh, lets hope nobody gets hurt, including him. Anyway back to OP...

anyone who says these cars arnt impressive.. need to learn to shut off the TC and how to drive.
even with the tc this car very fast and will slam you in the seat.. (sotp meter peaking), smooth, and quiet and very deceptive on you actual speed, handled like on rails. and went where i threw it..
I don't see the need for the TC, this thing pulls like a rocket when you ask it to.

This engine makes power everywhere, in any gear, all the time.
Matt Farah - The Smoking Tire

This is the truth.

The engine purrs when you are cruising and roars when you want it. I have never had such control and power in a car ever. Granted my last two cars barely broke 200hp combined, I can't get enough of this car. I feel great walking up and stepping in this car before work. Makes the day so much more fun.
Old 6/30/10, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

The engine purrs when you are cruising and roars when you want it. I have never had such control and power in a car ever.
agreed.. it pulls pretty good until it hits 3600ish then really pulls.. really good in the SotP Meter
Old 6/30/10, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can't ever get it high enough on revs outside of first gear and maybe second. Darn other traffic being in my way. Of course then I realize "You know... I actually am going fast enough already", but still. At least my drives to work are certainly more interesting now.

Last edited by Lancel; 6/30/10 at 06:10 PM.
Old 6/30/10, 07:56 PM
Cobra R Member

I think one thing about the 5.0 that makes some people think it's not as direct or responsive is the drive-by-wire throttle aspect. I think that contributes to a feeling of disconnect, altho not a dramatic one. But when I press down the pedal and am in the appropriate gear, the car still leaps with a great roar, but with that ever-so-slight delay as the command is fed thru the computer first and then the computer opens the throttle body.

Back in my days of E39 BMW 540i ownership (2004-2006), there were those that preferred the '97 & '98 540's over the '99 to '03's because the 97/98 still had a honest-to-goodness throttle cable between the accel pedal and the throttle body. I had a '99, and could definitely feel that same slight disconnect of a few nanoseconds (?) as the "go like hell" command was communicated to the engine!

Last edited by Double-EDad; 6/30/10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 6/30/10, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Back in my days of E39 BMW 540i ownership (2004-2006), there were those that preferred the '97 & '98 540's over the '99 to '03's because the 97/98 still had a honest-to-goodness throttle cable between the accel pedal and the throttle body. I had a '99, and could definitely feel that same slight disconnect of a few nanoseconds (?) as the "go like hell" command was communicated to the engine!
I feel you on this. I haven't had a powerful car before so I haven't noticed a difference but I could see how a trip through softwareland would make a throttle press a bit delayed. "More software everywhere makes everything better" Quote: A Liar

I don't mind it much, it's keeping that stampeed under control so I can push it hard and not spin all over everything.

Last edited by HokieCodeMonkey; 6/30/10 at 08:19 PM.
Old 6/30/10, 08:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I hate the drive-by-wire throttle on the 05+. When I first drove an 05 I blamed stalling on the throttle, although really I was paying attention to the gas pedal when I should have been paying attention to clutch feel. Still, it just feels so artificial.
Old 6/30/10, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's my impression that the "delay" is not because the computer can't think fast enough, it's because it's purposely programmed that way. I haven't read an explanation for why it would be programmed like that. Emissions, maybe? Anyway I also have the impression that that is one thing that is eliminated in a custom tune. Maybe someone with solid information on this will speak up and enlighten us.
Old 7/1/10, 12:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The throttle response was greatly increased on my 08 GT with the BAMA tune. I will wait to tune this car to make sure others dont have issues. The throttle definately lags behind a little. I ordered the 3.73's, but they destroy my fuel mileage. The car does have an insane amount of power and torque, but is revving to high in 6th for good hwy fuel mileage. on the hwy I am getting around 24 at 70mph, in my 08 w/ 3.31s i would get 27 at 70mph. I just realized that if I redline 3rd when I shift into 4th I already am turning ~5600 rpms(very nice to be in the top of the powerband when you shift). 1-2-3-4-5 are all perfect w/ 3.73's, its just 6th that seems to be a little short for a tall OD gear. On the twisty back raods, the is no reason to ever shift it out of 3rd!
Old 7/1/10, 12:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jets in the 1970's were being built fly-by-wire, seems like no one is complaining here!

Either way, FBW is the way of the times, I too like a good wire connection to the throttle but it just isn't happening anymore. Kind of sucks but it may be for the best.

On the gears, I still liked the 3.31 1-5th. Seems like it makes more sense for the fuel mileage anyway.

Quick Reply: It arrived... wait a sec no it didn't