2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone have a leaky Glassroof?

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/10, 09:22 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yours is the 2nd glassroof shade which I've heard failed-I know they replaced it for no charge, but one other person said that the part/labor was over $600 to fix this if not under warranty...

food for thought.. again, thank you for the review and experience SI_stang. I'm originally from Staten Island. I used to live in South Beach.. I worked for Acella Chrysler backin the late 80's as a mechanic. Curtis High School- and Guido/Headbanger

Originally Posted by SI_stang
I also have a glass roof mustang and never had a problem with leaking. I also have a subscription to an unlimited car wash (hand wash only) and never suffered with a leak.

The only problem was somewhere between purchasing the car and delivery ( I'm assuming the guys cleaning the car did it) the roof was torn along the whole track. The dealer inspected it and believed the shade was off its track a little and when opened, it ripped. Dana Ford in Staten Island was very helpful and sent it out to be repaired. So, be very careful, dont quickly open or close if you sense any resistance.

Even with that said and the very little shade sag, I love the glass roof and have one on my Edge also.
Old 5/7/10, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is just my opinion. You have been asking quite a few questions about the glass roof. And you have many valid concerns about it. I think that maybe you shouldn't get the glass roof. It seems like those concerns you have will always be in the back of your mind. Get the regular hard top, set your mind at ease, and enjoy the car.
Old 5/7/10, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
This is just my opinion. You have been asking quite a few questions about the glass roof. And you have many valid concerns about it. I think that maybe you shouldn't get the glass roof. It seems like those concerns you have will always be in the back of your mind. Get the regular hard top, set your mind at ease, and enjoy the car.
I have to agree - nothing against you Mike, but you are spending WAY too much time worrying about that da*n roof - lol

I am getting it too, but haven't thought for a second about it. I have a very large sunroof on what I drive now, and haven't had any issues. The glass roof will be even better, because it has no moving parts. The glass roof will be as prone to leak as any other large piece of fixed glass on the car. NOW STOP WORRYING AND START THINKING OF MODS TO DO TO THAT BABY INSTEAD!
Old 5/7/10, 10:16 AM
GT Member

This is great guys. I appreciate your thoughts. You're right! I have asked all the hard questions, and did the research. Thanks for pushing me through the door so to speak.

I'm officially done talking. lol!

Have a great Friday and Mother's Day. Now it's time to order my car!!

Originally Posted by AusTXMCA
I have to agree - nothing against you Mike, but you are spending WAY too much time worrying about that da*n roof - lol

I am getting it too, but haven't thought for a second about it. I have a very large sunroof on what I drive now, and haven't had any issues. The glass roof will be even better, because it has no moving parts. The glass roof will be as prone to leak as any other large piece of fixed glass on the car. NOW STOP WORRYING AND START THINKING OF MODS TO DO TO THAT BABY INSTEAD!

Old 5/7/10, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
So you're getting the Glass Roof then, yeah??
Old 5/7/10, 11:34 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man, you better not order that glass roof. I just went out and checked my car with the glass roof and there is like six inches of water in the floor!
Old 5/7/10, 11:35 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Oh man, you better not order that glass roof. I just went out and checked my car with the glass roof and there is like six inches of water in the floor!
Nevermind, I just went back out and checked again and it was my convertible and I forgot to put the top up before I washed it.
Old 5/7/10, 11:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
That's from the cowl.
Old 5/7/10, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
This is great guys. I appreciate your thoughts. You're right! I have asked all the hard questions, and did the research. Thanks for pushing me through the door so to speak.

I'm officially done talking. lol!

Have a great Friday and Mother's Day. Now it's time to order my car!!

Time for me to get that baby on order too now that I have seen an MCA in person!
Old 5/7/10, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
windshields are at an angle and deflect water- plus a good downpour and water hitting a flat surface may act different. There was a person on another forum who had an 09 leak coming from his glassroof, fyi

I'm researching data and trying to see if anyone else had any issues with water, cricks, squeaks, etc.

My last thread was pros/cons- now it's come down to the wire for me. Decision tomorrow, and i have a preapproved check in hand. So, I'm looking for anymore negative experiences, period. I truly invite positives as well... after all, i'm a positive person. But i'm an engineer, so I'm ocd too--
I agree with you that the water will hit differently versus a windshield. I think the water that hits the windshield is like a power washer hitting it at 65 mph forcing itself into places far harder than standing water held back by water tension.
In the big picture, you will find a handful of problems with just about anything. You as an engineer should be able to understand that. Get the roof if you want it.
Old 5/7/10, 10:50 PM
GT Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Ford and all everyone here who's given good .02

I went to the dealer today and took one last good gander at the 2010 Glassroof. It was a really hot sunny, Florida day and I expected it to be a lot hotter than what it was. It cooled off nicely with the a/c and then when I took a ride and pulled back the shade, I just can't help noticing how much of a nice ride that just is... I just sold my Harley to get this car, and it's nice to have the outside element feel, that's for sure.. and you can close the shade too, and darken it up. Best of all worlds! Yes, it's worth it and not only that-
I was able to get the X-plan pin because I work for a big Cell phone company... Nice to get a good deal, and I was jumping up and down like Snoopy from Peanuts!

I'm Blessed, Happy, Content- and now it's time to get my wife a Card and Flowers for Mothers Day. (after buying this car, I better give her some cash too... he he heh)

Thanks again fellas for all the pros/cons/good/bads/and of course those who encouraged me to get it!

Have a good Saturday
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
I agree with you that the water will hit differently versus a windshield. I think the water that hits the windshield is like a power washer hitting it at 65 mph forcing itself into places far harder than standing water held back by water tension.
In the big picture, you will find a handful of problems with just about anything. You as an engineer should be able to understand that. Get the roof if you want it.
Old 5/7/10, 11:17 PM
GT Member

FWIW, the glass roof does have some slope and curve to it...as far as weather protection it's really not so different from the sloping rear glass or for that matter the steel roof with the existing rain channels...ever heard of one of those leaking? Didn't think so.

Glad to hear you went for it.
Old 5/7/10, 11:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Thank God that's over. Now we get to read 2 months of "is my car here yet" threads....
Old 5/7/10, 11:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Thank God that's over. Now we get to read 2 months of "is my car here yet" threads....
Sarcasm, always a good time.

When is your new car scheduled to arrive?
Old 5/8/10, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
You mean you can GET BACK to reading the 2 months of 'is my car here yet' threads.
Old 5/8/10, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Yeah, youre right Kevindust- I looked at it like that as well. The main thing to me is, it almost makes the ride 3 dimensional, as you see the trees above you and all. And the light coming in, is sorta, well- mood changing for me. I sometimes sit in an office all day, and it's nice to "feel outside, even though i'm inside", if you know what i mean...

Yeah, I read Laser's post too. "By the way, how long does it take to get a Vin???? lol!

Originally Posted by Kevindust
FWIW, the glass roof does have some slope and curve to it...as far as weather protection it's really not so different from the sloping rear glass or for that matter the steel roof with the existing rain channels...ever heard of one of those leaking? Didn't think so.

Glad to hear you went for it.
Old 5/11/10, 12:02 PM
GT Member

Congrats, man. I'm glad you ordered the glass roof. I've pretty much talked myself into one, too. I'm now looking forward to figuring out how to buy the **** car.
Old 5/11/10, 02:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So what DID you order with your car now that you made the final decisions?
Old 5/11/10, 06:36 PM

Another glass roof owner here. No leaks or sagging shade to report @ 9k miles.