2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Anyone else mad they changed the model so soon?

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/12 | 12:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dafreeze
nope...like wait, what? Wth's Ike? Or like are you saying the word 'like' like 3 times in the same sentence?
Originally Posted by nicholasP
Haha I didn't even notice that till just now
Ha, glad to see you're a such good sport about our ribbing, Nicholas...btw, Nicholas was my second choice for a name for my son, Joshua.

My take on the body style changes for 2013, of which the adoption of the Shelby nose and body colored rockers on the GT's and V6's I don't care for, are they'll just make my car more unique.

And considering the move away from the retro look which I absolutely love, in the future, coupled with body line changes for the 10-12 models and the fabulous 5.0, I own the greatest Mustang GT Ford will ever build.

Last edited by dafreeze; 3/26/12 at 12:05 AM.
Old 3/26/12 | 08:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes and no. They could have easily stuck with the 10-12 style until 2015 without an issue. Possibly they wanted to try something new. Maybe the Camaro was selling more and they wanted to see if sales would increase. Possibly they knew they had to move toward changing perspective since the 2015 will be all new. It's a good time to start prepping for the new mold. But it possibly put people off to waiting for a 2015. So it goes either way.

2010-12 owners really are looking into this way too hard. Ford changed the design. Get over it. It appears these owners are going into a defensive mode that makes you put your Mustang on a pedestal. More unique, special, classy, less bloated looking, no shark nose, no blackout panel having, blah blah blah. Again get over it. If you have such good cars then this update shouldn't bother you. If you wanted a 13 but now are considering a 12 then get a 12. If not then get a 15. Ford didn't give the 10-12 the Midas touch. And I don't mean the muffler shop. Don't be fooled by yellow blaze or sunset gold metallic.

/endrant
Old 3/26/12 | 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Is it possible that the update was done to make the GT500 less expensive? Now that most of the body panels are the same across the entire mustang lineup it would be less expensive to make the GT500 body panels.

Just a thought
Old 3/26/12 | 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
they way I explain my car habit is like this.. "its like im 5 years old and have good credit.. kind of like the movie BIG with tom hanks. It doesnt make sense.."

the skinny

http://www.cardomain.com/id/flagstang
Wow. You have amassed quite a history of cars in a short period of time it seems.
Old 3/26/12 | 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
Is it possible that the update was done to make the GT500 less expensive? Now that most of the body panels are the same across the entire mustang lineup it would be less expensive to make the GT500 body panels.

Just a thought
.........one body style is cheaper to build.....they choose the Shelby style, not making anything cheaper for the buying world.
Old 3/26/12 | 10:46 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by jadedpony
Wow. You have amassed quite a history of cars in a short period of time it seems.
so the fiat isnt that crazy
Old 3/26/12 | 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is topic asinine. Everyone should be happy Ford is keeping it fresh. They have to keep the sales up otherwise R&D will invariably be cut to the Mustang as sales fall.
Old 3/26/12 | 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

If all models looked the same forever, we'd never have threads like this!

Even if the 2015 Mustang flew like a jet (literally) over 500 MPH at 100 MPG, had a fiber-optic paint job that changed colors and came with it's own flight crew, I'd still be happy with what I have now. I worked hard for what I have and I wouldn't have it any other way - period.

Last edited by Kinyodas; 3/26/12 at 11:03 AM. Reason: TMI
Old 3/26/12 | 11:19 AM
GT Member

I think the GT looks great, but I prefer my 2011 v6pony vert.
Old 3/26/12 | 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AzPete

.........one body style is cheaper to build.....they choose the Shelby style, not making anything cheaper for the buying world.
Sure it would because then there would be even more of those parts available. Much less of a decrease on base an GT but could still help
Old 3/26/12 | 12:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

To me simply changing the headlights and tailights, and minor tweaks to the hood do not make a change in the model. The 2013 Mustang is fundamentally no different from the 2005 Mustang. It's still the same chassis, still the same design, other than the engine changeover in 2011, the Mustangs made now as essentially the same as the Mustangs made 7 years ago.

Personally I think Ford waits entirely too long to make significant model changes, and that's a major reason why the Camaro has been outselling the Mustang. To the average consumer the brand new Mustang they see on the dealership lot today is no different from the old, worn out Mustang that their neighbor has had sitting in their driveway since 2005.
Old 3/26/12 | 12:39 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Moustang
To me simply changing the headlights and tailights, and minor tweaks to the hood do not make a change in the model. The 2013 Mustang is fundamentally no different from the 2005 Mustang. It's still the same chassis, still the same design, other than the engine changeover in 2011, the Mustangs made now as essentially the same as the Mustangs made 7 years ago.

Personally I think Ford waits entirely too long to make significant model changes, and that's a major reason why the Camaro has been outselling the Mustang. To the average consumer the brand new Mustang they see on the dealership lot today is no different from the old, worn out Mustang that their neighbor has had sitting in their driveway since 2005.
I would say thats only some what true since it has a different driveline, suspension, wheels/tires, interior, body panels, wairing is alittle different, different fuel filler(capless setup), exhaust is different, spoilers and bumpers different, badges and stereo.

yeah pretty much the same.
Old 3/26/12 | 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Agree with OP I too think they changed too fast
Old 3/26/12 | 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I would say thats only some what true since it has a different driveline, suspension, wheels/tires, interior, body panels, wairing is alittle different, different fuel filler(capless setup), exhaust is different, spoilers and bumpers different, badges and stereo.

yeah pretty much the same.

So, what you're trying to say is if I take my '12 Mustang, put an aftermarket suspension, a couple of aftermarket body panels and interior pieces, and some new tires and rims, I'll have a whole new car and it won't be a '12 Mustang anymore?

A fender is a fender is a fender. Changing the fender doesn't change the car underneath one single bit. Everything you are talking about is just trinkets and trim, and has nothing to do with the car itself. Everything you said is routinely swapped by modders, but that doesn't fundamentally change the car underneath.

Not to mention most of that stuff is barely noticable by most people. Come ask my wife if she can tell the difference between an '05 and '12 Mustang as they drive by. I guarantee you that she can't. You have to be a pretty serious Mustang enthusiast to know the difference in model year by the bump in the hood or the style of rims.

Last edited by Moustang; 3/26/12 at 03:12 PM.
Old 3/26/12 | 03:12 PM
Banned

So, what you're trying to say is if I take my '12 Mustang, put an aftermarket suspension, a couple of aftermarket body panels and interior pieces, and some new tires and rims, I'll have a whole new car and it won't be a '12 Mustang anymore?

A fender is a fender is a fender. Changing the fender doesn't change the car underneath one single bit. Everything you are talking about is just trinkets and trim, and has nothing to do with the car itself. Everything you said is routinely swapped by modders, but that doesn't fundamentally change the car underneath.

Not to mention most of that stuff is barely noticable by most people. Come ask my wife if she can tell the difference between an '05 and '12 Mustang as they drive by. I guarantee you that she can't. You have to be a pretty serious Mustang enthusiast to know the difference in model by the bump in the hood or the style of rims.
I have an 11 1/2 GT500
Old 3/26/12 | 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I have an 11 1/2 GT500
That's nice. It's a just a Mustang with stripes to 90% of the people on the road.

Seriously, step away from the hardcore Mustang enthusiast web sites like this one and go talk to the average person on the street. Most can't tell the difference between a 2005 V6 and a 2012 GT.

My wife thought she was clever when she told me that she finally figured out that if it had round lights in the grill it was a GT. That's typical of most people.
Old 3/26/12 | 04:00 PM
Banned

That's nice. It's a just a Mustang with stripes to 90% of the people on the road.

Seriously, step away from the hardcore Mustang enthusiast web sites like this one and go talk to the average person on the street. Most can't tell the difference between a 2005 V6 and a 2012 GT.

My wife thought she was clever when she told me that she finally figured out that if it had round lights in the grill it was a GT. That's typical of most people.
Are you going to ask what makes it a half?
If you're buying a Mustang for what others will think about it, you're doing it wrong.
Old 3/26/12 | 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank goddess the 13 has those changes, the 11,12 style was god awful
Old 3/26/12 | 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

I'm glad they changed it. I can spot my '11 GT/CS easier now when it is parked with all the other Mustangs out there.
Old 3/26/12 | 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigR
Thank goddess the 13 has those changes, the 11,12 style was god awful
Where do I go to thank this goodness?

Quick Reply: Anyone else mad they changed the model so soon?