Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any Possibility of a Retractable Hardtop for the 2010+ Redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/08, 09:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Sorry, but I have to disagree. The reason for the last gen T-Bird flop, was due to being way overpriced. On the other hand, if Ford had priced the T-Bird around the same price as the current Mustang, or perhaps just slightly above. It would've sold like hotcakes.
Price was the big reason I never got a Tbird. I was torn between a Tbird and a Mustang. By the time I could afford a new Tbird most of the ones I found were well worn and cost as much used as a new Mustang.

The Mustang was always the spiritual successor to the original Tbirds before they became big and heavy. The 1958 Thunderbird was very successful being transformed into a practical four seater. Since there was no small block engine until the 1962 Fairlane imtermediate car line came out they had to package the Thunderbird around larger engines resulting in a larger size. After 1960 the Thunderbird became bigger and went into the direction of a personal luxury vehicle with a higher pricetag. Iaccocca wanted to do a sporty car which was smaller and more affordable which was more like the concept of the original Tbird. It was proposed that the original two-seat Tbird bodies would be modified and placed on Falcon platforms as a T-Bird II but that idea was rejected in favor of doing a whole new car based on the Falcon platform. Since small block engines were developed, it was then possible to package a V8 on a smaller more compact platform.

Much of the same team that designed the original Thunderbird worked on the original Mustang. If you look through history books of the Thunderbird you will see some prototypes that led to the Mustang's forward thrusting high open mouth grille, painted sheetmetal under the front bumper, "C" shaped side scuplturing and hopped up beltlines on the upper rear quarter panels. All that dated back to some of the design excercises of the 1958 Thunderbird.

Fast forward to 1997... Thunderbird sales dropped to nothing as interest in large personal luxury two door cars disappeared. Meanwhile the Mustang continued to hold it's own remaining basically the same practical concept as the four seat 1958 Thunderbird while also being true to its original classic Mustang formula. In 2002 we end up with a very expensive Thunderbird with two seats. While that concept might make some classic two-seat Thunderbird enthusiasts happy, the Mustang continued to sell as afforable, more youthful and sporty with high performance and an already established legendary image of it's own.

So next comes the 2005 Mustang Convertible which mimicks the follow up of the original two seat Tbird roadster with the 1958 four seat Tbird. The Mustang Convertible looks great, performs better and has a usable back seat. Taking a page out of 1977 Tbird history, the 2005 Mustang costs thousands less than the outgoing 2005 Thunderbird. History does repeat itself.

Bringing out a Tbird now is difficult to do because in concept and size it really overlaps the Mustang. There is really no market for big two door coupes and convertibles anymore and the only alternative may be a smaller luxury two seat roadster with options the Mustang would not normally feature, such as a retractable hardtop. Unless auto sales make a rebound and Ford can make a business case to revive a Tbird, we may never see another Thunderbird again. The Mustang has indeed eclisped the Thunderbird as an image car more people want to be associated with, just like the original Mustang.

The way I see the current Mustang now carries the spirit of the original Mustangs, but also carries the torch for other classic Fords coupes and convertibles many of us miss such as the Thunderbirds, Cougars and Torino fastbacks...

It's all having to be wrapped up in one car into one car because today's market does not allow for as many variations of theme as they did in previous decades.

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/10/08 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11/10/08, 09:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
I have never been a fan of T-Tops. It takes longer to take the two T-top pieces off than it does for just a single large targa top like the C4, C5 and C6 Corvettes have, plus T-Tops have more edges to seal meaning more places to leak. That is another reason I would prefer a hardtop convertible. You get the look of a hardtop, with the one touch convenience of a drop top.
When I had all my Camaros and one Firebird from 1983 to 1992, I loved the T-tops. Those cars were the closet thing I could get to Magnum PI's Ferrari and I wanted something sleek and contemporary that was unlike the Fox Box Mustangs of the time which were really sedans, not coupes. However when the 1994 Mustang came out I decided it should be a Convertible or nothing. So I bought a Convertible Mustang.

When I was looking for the current generation Mustang, I originally had my eye on a Convertible this time but I started thinking about how much I would really use it which was almost never since it's either always too hot or too cold around here without any medium. I also really liked the fastback roofline and classic quarter windows of the coupe as a design statement. So I saved $5000 by not going for the convertible which left me comfortable to purchase a Mustang better equipped with the Pony package included.

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/10/08 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11/11/08, 03:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
The Mustang was always the spiritual successor to the original Tbirds before they became big and heavy. The 1958 Thunderbird was very successful being transformed into a practical four seater. Since there was no small block engine until the 1962 Fairlane imtermediate car line came out they had to package the Thunderbird around larger engines resulting in a larger size. After 1960 the Thunderbird became bigger and went into the direction of a personal luxury vehicle with a higher pricetag. Iaccocca wanted to do a sporty car which was smaller and more affordable which was more like the concept of the original Tbird. It was proposed that the original two-seat Tbird bodies would be modified and placed on Falcon platforms as a T-Bird II but that idea was rejected in favor of doing a whole new car based on the Falcon platform. Since small block engines were developed, it was then possible to package a V8 on a smaller more compact platform.

Fast forward to 1997... Thunderbird sales dropped to nothing as interest in large personal luxury two door cars disappeared. Meanwhile the Mustang continued to hold it's own remaining basically the same practical concept as the four seat 1958 Thunderbird while also being true to its original classic Mustang formula. In 2002 we end up with a very expensive Thunderbird with two seats. While that concept might make some classic two-seat Thunderbird enthusiasts happy, the Mustang continued to sell as afforable, more youthful and sporty with high performance and an already established legendary image of it's own.

So next comes the 2005 Mustang Convertible which mimicks the follow up of the original two seat Tbird roadster with the 1958 four seat Tbird. The Mustang Convertible looks great, performs better and has a usable back seat. Taking a page out of 1977 Tbird history, the 2005 Mustang costs thousands less than the outgoing 2005 Thunderbird. History does repeat itself.

Bringing out a Tbird now is difficult to do because in concept and size it really overlaps the Mustang. There is really no market for big two door coupes and convertibles anymore and the only alternative may be a smaller luxury two seat roadster with options the Mustang would not normally feature, such as a retractable hardtop. Unless auto sales make a rebound and Ford can make a business case to revive a Tbird, we may never see another Thunderbird again. The Mustang has indeed eclisped the Thunderbird as an image car more people want to be associated with, just like the original Mustang.

The way I see the current Mustang now carries the spirit of the original Mustangs, but also carries the torch for other classic Fords coupes and convertibles many of us miss such as the Thunderbirds, Cougars and Torino fastbacks...
It's all having to be wrapped up in one car into one car because today's market does not allow for as many variations of theme as they did in previous decades.
Well said WatchDevil, I'm a Long Time Thunderbird Lover Myself, as well. I never cared for the 02-06, 2 seat T-Birds though. They were too small for me for one, I'm 6'4" tall. The only way I could even sit in one was with the top off or down.

Check out my own Designs in the Automotive Art Forum. I posted My Ideas for New 2 Seat and 4 Seat Thunderbirds there.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=474548

Last edited by TampaBear67; 11/11/08 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11/11/08, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price was the big reason I never got a Tbird. I was torn between a Tbird and a Mustang. By the time I could afford a new Tbird most of the ones I found were well worn and cost as much used as a new Mustang.

Much of the same team that designed the original Thunderbird worked on the original Mustang. If you look through history books of the Thunderbird you will see some prototypes that led to the Mustang's forward thrusting high open mouth grille, painted sheetmetal under the front bumper, "C" shaped side scuplturing and hopped up beltlines on the upper rear quarter panels. All that dated back to some of the design excercises of the 1958 Thunderbird.

Good points, all. I would like to add a couple that I think also support your premise.

The market is much more dilute these days than in the original T-bird/Mustang/Cougar/Capri days. There are so many foreign-branded vehicles competing with the traditional American brands that there is no longer enough room for Ford to do several variations on the same theme, especially in the sporty coupe/roadster genre.

So for today's market, they're probably doing the best thing: as many Mustang variants as the market can absorb, from the base V6 for the budget-constrained, through the GT for the better performance at nominal cost, to the SEs and Cobras.

Lots of choices with lots of options, hopefully to satisfy a broad spectrum of customers. And for those still not satisfied, the aftermarket is always available.

Backtracking slightly, anyone remember the Lincoln Mark X concept from 2004? Built on the last-gen T-Bird platform, it had a retractable roof with a glass top. That one I was really hoping would make production, but there was just no business case to support it.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...-X-Concept.htm

If Ford were to try a similar approach for a Lincoln sport coupe on the S197 platform, they might have a real winner (especially with IRS ).

If not, well, my plan is for my next Mustang to have the glass roof option. Tried a 'vert, but couldn't top-down often enough to make it worthwhile, so went back to a coupe.

But a hard-top 'vert Mustang would definitely get me to look...

Last edited by Zoomie; 11/11/08 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11/11/08, 10:56 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts

You definitely bring up some very interesting points indeed, and I totally agree with every single one, however I do have just one question.

Why couldn't have Ford just used the same 312 C.I.D engine, used in the original 55-57 models for the 1958-60 models. IIRC wasn't the 312 considered as a small block engine ? Perhaps then, Ford could've avoided packaging the Thunderbird around larger engines, thus preventing the car from ever becoming a larger size to begin with.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/11/08 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11/11/08, 11:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You definitely bring up some very interesting points indeed, and I totally agree with every single one, however I do have just one question.

Why couldn't have Ford just used the same 312 C.I.D engine, used in the original 55-57 models for the 1958-60 models. IIRC wasn't the 312 considered as a small block engine ? Perhaps then, Ford could've avoided packaging the Thunderbird around larger engines, thus preventing the car from ever becoming a larger size to begin with.
Because Back In Those Days BIGGER WAS BETTER. Once Ford found out they could sell 4 to 5 times as many 4 seat T-Birds as they could 2 seaters, they took it to the extreme. To keep up with the competition every year, or model change, it meant increasing the cubic inch of the motor as well. That's how GM ended up with a 500 cubic inch boat anchor in the 70's.
Old 11/11/08, 11:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
Back in 2007, not too long after I took delivery of my 2007 GT Premium Vert that I had ordered, I got a survey from Ford about what I would like to see in the redesign. Several of their questions had to do with a Retractable Hardtop option. I for one would really like that option, but I haven't heard much comment on it since. What is the latest, any word?

I had to sell my beloved '07 when we transferred up here to Kodiak, AK (living on base, no garages, lots of ice and snow--I just couldn't do that to her). I am anxious about being able to order a new Steed in 2011 when I return to the lower 48, but I hope the Retractable Hardtop is on the option list.

Thanks!

Buster
Don't know about 2010 but CDC has a prototype! here is a pic, I've seen pics of 2 different Stangs with the top!
Ford may be considering Mustang hardtop convertible for 2009

Posted Aug 16th 2006 4:28PM by John Neff
Filed under: Aftermarket, Convertibles, Ford

ModdedMustangs is hypothesizing that Ford may be considering offering a retractable hardtop option for the 2009 Mustang. The site's reasoning is pretty thin, based mostly on the fact that there are retractable hardtop kits available for the Mustang currently and that engineering expertise for such a project could be culled from the recently unveiled Focus Coupe Cabriolet for Europe.

The most convincing piece of evidence of is a pair of videos posted on various Mustang message boards of a Classic Design Concepts prototype 2006 Mustang Convertible with a retractable hardtop. CDC is the outfitter that produces the panoramic Glassback roof conversion for late model Mustangs in cooperation with Webasto. You can check out the video of the retractable hardtop going up here and going down here. The conversion apparently doesn't touch the trunk's cargo space, instead eliminating the back seat and making the Mustang convertible a true 2-seat roadster. CDC's website makes no mention of the availability of a retractable hardtop conversion, but the fact that a prototype exists says something.

In light of the speed at which Ford is moving to put the Shelby GT into production and the fact that it's working directly with Shelby Automobiles, Inc. to produce the vehicle, the idea Ford might partner with other small companies like CDC/Webasto to produce a Mustang hardtop convertible isn't that far fetched. You can bet we'll be seeking out CDC's display at SEMA this year hoping to see this car in person. Adding the retractable hardtop to the lineup would give Ford a dizzying array of Mustangs in its lineup. Considering the Mustang's impressive sales performance, that hardly seems like a bad thing.

Old 11/12/08, 12:13 AM
Bullitt Member

If it happens, hopefully they won't got the two seat route like the CDC prototype. It was mentioned earlier in this thread, and that would be a deal breaker for me. I got rid of my Corvette to have a back seat to take our kids cruising with me, so having it take up the back seat with the top down would defeat the whole purpose for me.
Old 11/12/08, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
Because Back In Those Days BIGGER WAS BETTER. Once Ford found out they could sell 4 to 5 times as many 4 seat T-Birds as they could 2 seaters, they took it to the extreme. To keep up with the competition every year, or model change, it meant increasing the cubic inch of the motor as well. That's how GM ended up with a 500 cubic inch boat anchor in the 70's.
I totally agree Shawn, as bigger was definitely better, back in the day.

But in the end, Ford, GM, and Chrysler went way overboard, and as a direct result. The entire domestic auto industry, paid the ultimate price.

IMHO, the Thunderbird became too large, after the 1960 model year.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/12/08 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11/12/08, 10:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The 312 was a Y-Block engine. The reason the original Thunderbird had a hoodscoop is to clear the top of the engine. The Y-block had technical and performance limitations that could not accommodate the extra weight, power accessories and horsepower expectations of more modern cars so Big Block V8's became an option starting in 1958. The Thunderbird was packaged around that more advanced engine design.

Also, the difference between big block and small block doesn't have anything to do with actual displacment but rather the spacing of the cylinder bores. Small block engines had closer spaced cylinder bores resulting in the ability to package the engine in smaller spaces.

For 1962 a small block V8 was developed to use in the Fairlane which had smaller spacing between the cylinder bores. This of course resulted in a smaller size and lower weight which was ideal for packaging in a more compact car.

However, compact and intermediate vehicle platforms were later changed enough to accept room for big block engines during the horsepower race in the late 60's.

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/12/08 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11/13/08, 05:25 PM

The 312 was a Y-Block engine. The reason the original Thunderbird had a hoodscoop is to clear the top of the engine. The Y-block had technical and performance limitations that could not accommodate the extra weight, power accessories and horsepower expectations of more modern cars so Big Block V8's became an option starting in 1958. The Thunderbird was packaged around that more advanced engine design.

Also, the difference between big block and small block doesn't have anything to do with actual displacment but rather the spacing of the cylinder bores. Small block engines had closer spaced cylinder bores resulting in the ability to package the engine in smaller spaces.

For 1962 a small block V8 was developed to use in the Fairlane which had smaller spacing between the cylinder bores. This of course resulted in a smaller size and lower weight which was ideal for packaging in a more compact car.

However, compact and intermediate vehicle platforms were later changed enough to accept room for big block engines during the horsepower race in the late 60's.
Thanks for the great heads up, as I was unaware of the 312, as being a Y block engine.
Old 11/15/08, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

So I guess in short, despite earlier rumors and speculation, that there is no credible, recent evidence that Ford is seriously considering a retractable hardtop convertible for the 2010

Very disappointing, I hope they reconsider.