Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

AMSOIL MTG 75w90

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/11, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL MTG 75w90

I thought I had a grip on this fluid stuff for the MT82 but now I think I am lost again.

My transmission is about to be replaced under warranty and I want to bring it home then put a good quality fluid in it, not the QS/QDC/BS/WTFBBQ stuff they put in it stock, which I have heard nothing but bad things about.

I also want to see if this takes the gummy feeling out of my shifter after my car gets hot.

There is an AMSOIL dealer about a 1/4 mile from my house, since I have such easy access and he has this in stock for $14.90 a quart;

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx

I was gonna go with that.

Thoughts??
Old 8/25/11, 11:30 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not the correct fluid.

I don't think amsoil has the correct fluid.

Redline MTL is supposed to be correct and seems like those using it like it.
Old 8/25/11, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
That's not the correct fluid.

I don't think amsoil has the correct fluid.

Redline MTL is supposed to be correct and seems like those using it like it.
If you go to the application guide on Redline's website it says "no fluid recommended for this application". Which I know changed, because Ford changed the spec and that caused Redline to stop recommending it. Even though lots of people had (and still are) already run MTL with great results.

I emailed Amsoil and he said they don't have recommendations for 2012's but this is what they recommend for the 2011's.
Old 8/25/11, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

AMSoil MTG is the correct fluid for it now. you will be fine.

i'll be doing mine soon as well- i have MTL in it now but i prefer amsoil so i will be switching again.

Last edited by way2qk4u2c; 8/25/11 at 11:38 AM.
Old 8/25/11, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

by looking at the Amsoil specs compared to Motorcraft XT-M5-QS this is what I see:

at 40 C it is thicker
at 100 C it is slightly thinner
it's Viscosity Index is lower (undergoes higher changes in viscosity with temp)

so if you had high effort cold shifting, the amsoil may be worse/same when cold and when warmed up may be better than stock QS(say if your car with stock QS shifted ok when warmed up)

to give you an idea of some of the differences in all these fluids, the TSB DCT fluid Ford is using to replace QS is much thinner, it's Kinematic Viscosity @40 C is only 32

Redline MTL, MT-90, RP, Amsoil synthetic GL-4 all can replace to satisfy specs of the Motorcaraft QS, it's a matter of whether a thinner fluid makes the trans "shift" better or if in the long term more wear will occur

I know by experience that the Redline MTL makes the trans shift easier/better when cold in a car that didn't have any of these "major" gripes reported but could be a bit inconsistent, and with no increase in any noise

try it and let us know
Old 8/25/11, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

My car shifts fine when "cold", although I took delivery at the end of July and its still august. I don' think the car has been below 60 degrees yet lol. I live in Ohio, it will be cold soon enough.

Anyway the only issue I have is when its hot, it still shifts fine it just feels like the shifter is stuck in a bucket of glue, and its harder to move side to side, to the point where the return spring cannot center the handle.

I will stop on my way home and get some, but the new trans wont be installed until monday. I will post results later next week.
Old 8/25/11, 03:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were it me and they put a new trans in under warranty, I would go with whatever fluid Ford puts in it and not change it unless I had a problem.
Old 8/25/11, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Were it me and they put a new trans in under warranty, I would go with whatever fluid Ford puts in it and not change it unless I had a problem.

I mean if I thought that there was no way Amsoil, Redline, or Royal Purple could make a better fluid than what Ford uses I would agree. But I know they can/do.

I'm not gonna wait until I have shifting problems and beat up synchros to run the best fluid I can buy.
Old 8/25/11, 05:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

^^^^^this
Old 8/25/11, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

my opinion on this trans is that it's inability to operate smoothly with the fluid it came with caused people to apply more force than needed to get into whatever gear they needed.

over time, depending on the inexperience of the owner or "bad habits" in operating a manual trans of an experienced owner, some problems cropped up.
if you force a synchro into doing it's job it's going to get effed up and so is the gear and so on...

my experience with this trans and the stock QS fluid is that it has a small window of operating rpm. If you don't hit it right between clutch disengagement and the rpms when you put it in gear it is balky. For me, driving slowly it was inconsistent, with the hammer down it worked like butter.

anyways, i agree with blackgt87 that if a better fluid than what Ford put in eliminates the balkiness that many experience, then surely the trans will continue to work as it should because it's not being forced to do it. The question that has no answer yet is WHICH ONE? I guess we'll know a few years down the road

this is all strictly based on a working clutch and trans, the other mechanical problems of the PP bolts and the pedal not coming up at high rpms are a whole 'nother animal
Old 8/25/11, 08:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was going to replace the fluid, and then changed my mind. I am not having any problems, with the exception of the cold shifting, of course when the temp is 15 F, well not much works well. In that case I have learned to let it sit for a few minutes in neutral, and then double clutch or start in 2nd gear until she is warm.

My reason for waiting is the NHTSA investigation. If they come back with a required repair for all MT-82's, by Ford, I can only "assume" Ford would deny or try to deny repairs to vehicles with fluid not meeting their specs. I have the ESP, so I am not too concerned about waiting.
Old 8/25/11, 10:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah its too bad theres no cut and dry for sure "right" fluid, even ford cant make up its mind...