2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Am I getting jerked around?

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/10, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I getting jerked around?

Fair warning- if you're tired of "Where's my car," threads just do yourself a favor and move on. This is one of those.

I placed my order on May 5th. Every time I talk to the rep (commercial sales manager) he tells me something about it being in a list and should get pulled next week. This has been Going on for almost a month. Driving my Explorer to work every day is killing me- bias ply tires suck at 70mph. Is there a polite way to push for action? The dealer near my house has a killer deal on a '10 F150 FX4 that's seriously tempting me right now. I still want a Mustang but I'm incredibly impatient with things like this. Any advice?
Old 6/1/10, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

you just placed your order at the begining of may..
some of us placed orders when ordering opened and didnt get any information other than its processing until may.

be patient..
Old 6/1/10, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Get the truck.

Or get a mustang in stock because it doesn't sound like you can wait another 6-8 weeks, which is the normal order time for any vehicle through the domestic manufacturers.
If you can find some patience, which is a virtue by the way, re-order with another dealer. Hope you weren't gullible enough to put a big downpayment with this dealer.

By the way, with a user name like yours, I hope you aren't getting jerked around either!

Last edited by FordBlueHeart; 6/1/10 at 12:14 PM.
Old 6/1/10, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

There are some people here that ordered in March and still waiting. You need to chill.
Old 6/1/10, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you know whether your dealer placed the order using retail order verification? I placed my order on April 28 and had a VIN# in two days.

Did your dealer make a copy of your driver's license and upload it with your order?
Old 6/1/10, 12:39 PM
Cobra R Member

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!!!!!
Old 6/1/10, 12:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're only getting jerked around if the dealer promised you a delivery date when you placed the order. My cousin placed his order and his Mustang arrived only four weeks later. Some of us are still waiting for cars that were built six or seven weeks ago. You're just going to have to be patient. Or go to the dealer and see if they will do a search of in-stock Mustangs at other dealers. Maybe one like you want already exists somewhere.
Old 6/1/10, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I didn't put any down payment on this, nor did he copy my license. Being in contract-based sales I left myself as free as possible to back out. I understand things take time, but I'm not fond of the repetitive "next week," line. Is he really that clueless as to when it will get pulled? It seems odd that they'd just have a "pool" of orders and Fords picks and chooses what to build with no sense of order.

I'm really not trying to whine here- I definitely feel for those of you who ordered a lot earlier than I did yet are still waiting. I'm mostly just lost as to whether the order system really is just a "pool" effect or if he knows he has XX orders ahead of mine so it won't be pulled until July, but he's just yanking my chain so I don't order elsewhere.
Old 6/1/10, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the dealer used retail order verification, he should have his vin by now.
Old 6/1/10, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Or go to the dealer and see if they will do a search of in-stock Mustangs at other dealers. Maybe one like you want already exists somewhere.
Whoa- they can do that?
Old 6/1/10, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's a bit of a challenge to get information, unfortunately. You could ask your dealer for the VIN if he has it. Once you have the VIN you could just use that guy on allfordmustangs.com. He has full database access and just looks up everyone's VINs posted to his thread during the week and PMs everyone a status update. He told me when it was built and where it's been flitted about while it waits for transport. Good for knowing the process is working in some convoluted manner. Ultimately ordering is not an exact science sadly. Assembly with various components means certain options may be temporarily unavailable for production, and once it's ready for shipping there are a ton of different shipping companies, and some might have their acts together better than others. Mine was ordered about two weeks earlier. It actually got built in prompt manner, becoming a real car just four and a half weeks after I put the order down, but now it's just been sitting at Ramp 5P since the morning of May 23rd waiting to be shipped. Others have had theirs delayed for up to five weeks before shipping. From what I can tell, 8 weeks is a pretty typical time to wait, but the standard deviation there is pretty wide.

And yes, dealers can run searches for specific cars. That way if a customer wants a car but say, wants a blue one with navigation, the dealer doesn't have to lose the sale just because they don't have it in their own stock, they can do a region wide search of other dealerships for a car matching your exact criteria, then they get the car from the dealer that has it and bring it to their dealership, even if it's over a hundred miles away. Saves you the hassle of making a long distance trip.

Last edited by Lancel; 6/1/10 at 12:51 PM.
Old 6/1/10, 12:52 PM
MOTM Committee Member

you didn't do a retail order, it will take time. Mine took 6 weeks for a VIN w/o it being retail. Even it was and you had a VIN you'd still be waiting. 2-3 months is the normal average time from order to delivery.

Either be patient or buy the F-150
Old 6/1/10, 01:01 PM
V6 Member

Hang in there! I know this doesn't help, but things started out really slow. I think they are still catching up.
Mine:
Ordered 3/1
Built 4/21
Delivered 5/28
Old 6/1/10, 01:19 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Hang in there! I know this doesn't help, but things started out really slow. I think they are still catching up.
Mine:
Ordered 3/1
Built 4/21
Delivered 5/28
An excellent example! About 3 months total for Tom.

Did you post pics of yours by the way?
Old 6/1/10, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
An excellent example! About 3 months total for Tom.

Did you post pics of yours by the way?
Yeah, but thats skewed by being a pre-order. Since they didn't start building until late March, its more like 2 months - just saying.
Old 6/1/10, 01:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
Yeah, but thats skewed by being a pre-order. Since they didn't start building until late March, its more like 2 months - just saying.
Yeah, I think the more important dates to look at are build to delivery, not order to delivery.

In Tom's case, it's about 6 weeks. Mine is at 4 right now. I can see it coming in the next 2 weeks. . .
Old 6/1/10, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Yeah, I think the more important dates to look at are build to delivery, not order to delivery.

In Tom's case, it's about 6 weeks. Mine is at 4 right now. I can see it coming in the next 2 weeks. . .
Mine will be at 7 weeks on Thursday and it still hasn't moved.

Last edited by fritzOSU03; 6/1/10 at 01:35 PM.
Old 6/1/10, 01:41 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
Which is why my previous post said 2-3 months is typical. And it just proves my point further. The OP ordered on 5/5 he's just got to be patient
Old 6/1/10, 01:52 PM
GT Member

If you didn't give the dealer any money why not just do periodic inventory searches for what you want on the ford website? Maybe you'll find what you want.

Other than that you'll have to be patient. As others have said folks have been waiting a heck of a lot longer, I being one of them.
Old 6/1/10, 01:57 PM
Cobra Member

as a few others have said, do a search on cars.com or get a dealer to search for a new 5.0 for you instead of waiting.

Quick Reply: Am I getting jerked around?