2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

AM Hideaway License Plate and Boss Splitter - Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/11 | 01:07 AM

AM Hideaway License Plate and Boss Splitter - Bad Idea?

So my GT/CS valance and Boss splitter are coming in tomorrow. As you see in my sig, I have a V6. So that means a new GT front bumper is here too. One of my biggest regrets was letting the dealership drill holes into my bumper, so this time I do not want holes.

My car is lowered 1" in the front, and it already scrapes a little bit on certain driveways with the V6 bumper. The last thing I want is to have the license plate and frame stripped off coming out of some driveway.

My question is, would it be a bad idea to put the AM hideaway plate underneath the Boss splitter with a 1" drop? Is there another inconspicuous, but less risky place to put it? Has anyone done that?

In Cali, you have to have plates. But I wanted the hideaway just in case a cop pulls me over and I can just say I forgot because I was... coming from a car show/photographing the car/whatever. Better to just play ignorant and pull it back up than having to explain to the cop. LA needs money right now, so the authorities are always on the prowl for any infractions to generate revenue.

Thanks!

p.s. It's my choice, so please don't lecture me about "it's the law."
Old 2/20/11 | 09:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM

In Cali, you have to have plates. But I wanted the hideaway just in case a cop pulls me over and I can just say I forgot because I was... coming from a car show/photographing the car/whatever. Better to just play ignorant and pull it back up than having to explain to the cop. LA needs money right now, so the authorities are always on the prowl for any infractions to generate revenue.

Thanks!

p.s. It's my choice, so please don't lecture me about "it's the law."
I've never been pulled over for not having a front license plate in CA. I don't even keep them in my car. I'm more surprised how many people run window tinting on driver and passenger windows and don't get pulled over. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 2/20/11 | 11:27 AM

I was wondering if it would fit just right below the painted part of the bumper, above the valance.
Old 2/20/11 | 04:33 PM

It might. Have you seen this?
Old 2/20/11 | 05:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Rick, those would work for the Boss right?
Old 2/20/11 | 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Rick, those would work for the Boss right?
It should, the front end on the Boss is the same as the GT/CS. You can always call JLT and ask them.
Old 2/20/11 | 07:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks I think I'll do that
Old 2/20/11 | 09:42 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I have used that bracket on my GT. It works well. Don't know if it'll work on a boss/gt-cs fascia. If I had to guess I'd say yes it will
Old 2/21/11 | 12:26 AM

Thanks, but I was looking for a hideaway plate that won't be seen unless I pull it up (AM's), that could also be placed somewhere else (like above the CS valance) where it won't be scraped like if I were to put it below the BOSS splitter.

Anyways, I kept an eye out today and I noticed that many cars don't have a front plate. I'm not talking about exotic cars, I'm talking about old Jeeps, Explorers, and even a Hybrid.

I will test my luck and go without a front plate and see how long before I get pulled over for it.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 2/21/11 | 12:33 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Thanks, but I was looking for a hideaway plate that won't be seen unless I pull it up (AM's), that could also be placed somewhere else (like above the CS valance) where it won't be scraped like if I were to put it below the BOSS splitter.

Anyways, I kept an eye out today and I noticed that many cars don't have a front plate. I'm not talking about exotic cars, I'm talking about old Jeeps, Explorers, and even a Hybrid.

I will test my luck and go without a front plate and see how long before I get pulled over for it.

Thanks for the responses.
thats the beauty with that bracket, I keep it in my trunk. If I ever get pulled over I can just pull it out the trunk and slap it on.

No problems in my 8 months of ownership so far
Old 2/21/11 | 01:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Jimmy,

I PM'd you. Ill take a look today.

Paul