Also on Automobile.com

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/08, 12:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also on Automobile.com

AUTO SHOWS: 2010 Ford Mustang - Toned Pony

By Phil Floraday

When the 2010 Mustang gallops into Ford showrooms in the spring, it will face more competition than it has seen in decades. The Dodge Challenger, which arrived in SRT8 form last year, now has a three-model lineup, and the hotly anticipated new Chevrolet Camaro starts production in February.
Four years ago, the retro-look, 2005 model reignited Mustang fever. The careful 2010 face-lift sees changes to every piece of sheetmetal, save the roof panel. (The carryover roof means that the optional glass roof, which debuted in the 2009 Mustang, will be available on the '10 base and GT models.) Still, the overall appearance doesn't stray far from today's car, although it is seven percent slipperier in the wind tunnel.
Inside, soft-touch plastic abounds, and the cabin is much more refined. The restyled center stack houses an available eight-inch navigation monitor; a rearview camera and Sync are new options. It may not be as stylized as the Camaro's interior, but this is a pleasant place to be.
The chassis-still with a live axle out back, as opposed to the independent rear suspensions of the Challenger and the Camaro-gets minor tweaks. A rear antiroll bar has been added to V-6-powered Mustangs, and new spring rates are designed to improve steering feel and combat body roll. Nineteen-inch wheels are a new option for the GT.
There's little news under the hood. The V-6 continues with 210 hp against a 250-hp six in the Challenger and 300 hp from the Camaro's V-6. The Mustang GT's 4.6-liter V-8 gets a slight bump to 315 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque thanks to a cold-air intake, and a tube now pipes induction noise right into the cabin. The five-speed automatic and manual transmissions return. Weight gain is negligible, so performance and fuel economy should be little changed.
The V-8's 315 hp now looks pretty wimpy next to its rivals: 372 and 375 hp for the Challenger R/T, 425 hp for the SRT8; 400 hp and 422 hp for the Camaro V-8s. Of course, Ford plans to roll out more potent special editions-like today's GT500 and GT500KR-but they're not expected at launch.
Mustangs, By The Numbers:

The Mustang's current rank in popularity among droptops.
$2368
Original base price of the Mustang.
9,000,000+
Total number of Mustangs sold.
Horsepower output of the standard four-cylinder in '78 and '79.
2 of 3
The number of title characters who drove a Mustang II in TV's Charlie's Angels. (Kate Jackson's Sabrina drove a Pinto.)
Number of customer orders written for the Mustang on its first day on sale in 1964.
250+
Estimated number of owners clubs, worldwide, devoted to the Mustang.
Horsepower output of the 2008 Shelby GT500KR.
Horsepower output of the 1969 Boss 429 V-8.
Advertised V-8 displacement, in liters, from 1978 to '79 and from '82 to '95.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh.../photo_01.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/multime...lpaper_gallery
Old 11/28/08, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at least people who are looking for a convertible will buy the mustang

Camaro and challenger convertibles are on hold for now.
Old 11/28/08, 02:14 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now this is great news!

Still, the overall appearance doesn't stray far from today's car, although it is seven percent slipperier in the wind tunnel.
That means even better gas mileage!
Old 11/28/08, 02:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67

Inside, soft-touch plastic abounds, and the cabin is much more refined. The restyled center stack houses an available eight-inch navigation monitor; a rearview camera and Sync are new options. It may not be as stylized as the Camaro's interior, but this is a pleasant place to be.
The chassis-still with a live axle out back, as opposed to the independent rear susp
I sat in the Camaro in LA. The third-world manufactured toys I bought my kids for Christmas have better quality than the Camaro's interior. Pieces were completely mismatched, the door didn't line up to the dash ( in either car ). And the "style" they're talking about looks more geared towards Transformers/Fast & Furious than serious musclecar or a nod to heritage. It looks like a pregnant remote control. Ugh.

The Mustang wins hands down in the interior. I can't believe I am saying this, but it was even better the Honda Accord rental we had......
Old 11/28/08, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by gnat-sum
I sat in the Camaro in LA. The third-world manufactured toys I bought my kids for Christmas have better quality than the Camaro's interior. Pieces were completely mismatched, the door didn't line up to the dash ( in either car ). And the "style" they're talking about looks more geared towards Transformers/Fast & Furious than serious musclecar or a nod to heritage. It looks like a pregnant remote control. Ugh.

The Mustang wins hands down in the interior. I can't believe I am saying this, but it was even better the Honda Accord rental we had......

i totally agree. it looks too futuristic and ugly for me. Maybe the next generation of people will like it, but i doubt it.

i dont know how people could like this car. Since when did the camaro have such a pointy nose on it? the taillights look like it should be on a future corvette. the side of the car is ugly with the flare in the rear quarter panel, the wheels make it look like a trunk and the mirrors look like the end of a hockey stick that someone broke off and elmer glued to the door. I can go on and on, but like i said i have no idea why peopl like this car. No wonder why Gm is in the trouble that there in. How long has this **** thing been showed as a concept? Gm is losing big time no matter what HP numbers its got
Old 11/29/08, 05:09 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by classix_stang289
i totally agree. it looks too futuristic and ugly for me. Maybe the next generation of people will like it, but i doubt it.

i dont know how people could like this car. Since when did the camaro have such a pointy nose on it? the taillights look like it should be on a future corvette. the side of the car is ugly with the flare in the rear quarter panel, the wheels make it look like a trunk and the mirrors look like the end of a hockey stick that someone broke off and elmer glued to the door. I can go on and on, but like i said i have no idea why peopl like this car. No wonder why Gm is in the trouble that there in. How long has this **** thing been showed as a concept? Gm is losing big time no matter what HP numbers its got
The concept was probably out there so early to get people to hold off on buying a Mustang and wait for the Camaro. The design of the Camaro is far from the reason that GM is trouble. Even if the Camaro was perfect, it wouldn't save GM. It's more of a halo car than a big sales volume car. The Volt and other fuel efficient cars is what GM needs in order to be saved. How many large SUVs does one auto manufacturer need? (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Escalade, H2)