2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

3.7L V6 - 48.5 mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/10, 12:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that impressive considering the average speed. I'd wager the Camaro would pull similar numbers in overdrive. Good publicity stunt I suppose.
Old 6/29/10, 01:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Not to nerd up the discussion too much, but I had to chime in. Converting water into hydrogen and oxygen actually costs energy. When you get hydrogen out of water, and then use that hydrogen to power something, you're not actually generating energy from water. Getting hydrogen out of water is literally the same as charging a battery - you need a power source to supply that energy. Then it's "stored" as potential energy. You get that energy back when that hydrogen bonds with oxygen again.

So you can use water from the ocean as a battery, but you still need to generate electricity.. from a power plant somewhere.
That's why I said we don't have the tech yet. But we will.
Its the same story for the ethanol scam turning precious food into inefficient fuel. It takes more (foreign) oil to produce than the ethanol you get out of it.

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Not that impressive considering the average speed. I'd wager the Camaro would pull similar numbers in overdrive. Good publicity stunt I suppose.

You're kidding right? If their old tech V6 is as good or better then why haven't they proven it yet?
Old 6/29/10, 03:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
You're kidding right? If their old tech V6 is as good or better then why haven't they proven it yet?
Going around a track at 50MPH proves what exactly? That you can run the engine at 1800RPM and get good mileage? How does this relate to real world driving? How about a Corvette in 6th gear? Their OD is nuts, I'm sure they could pull great numbers. I just don't see the point. The vehicle is rated at 31MPG for a reason.

Last edited by Adam; 6/29/10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 6/29/10, 03:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going around a track at 50MPH proves what exactly? That you can run the engine at 1800RPM and get good mileage? How does this relate to real world driving? How about a Corvette in 6th gear? Their OD is nuts, I'm sure they could pull great numbers. I just don't see the point. The vehicle is rated at 31MPG for a reason.
Way less than 1800 rpm, more like 1300.

Cumaro wouldn't get the same mpg under the same conditions, more aero drag and more mechanical drag.
Old 6/29/10, 03:18 PM
Post *****

These are huge leaps by applying new technology to existing machine concepts. Next comes further practical application.
All they have to do is tweak the torque curves, TiVCT, MAP & overdrive for 'real world' driving.
Imagine a button on your steering wheel to change the above for traffic, sport, freeway cruise.
But before you get there you have to test it and prove it. And with EPA tightening all the time, Ford is leaping ahead of the also rans.
Old 6/29/10, 05:42 PM
GT Member

Going around a track at 50MPH proves what exactly? That you can run the engine at 1800RPM and get good mileage? How does this relate to real world driving? The vehicle is rated at 31MPG for a reason.
I drove to the beach this weekend and back, 245 miles round trip. Drove about 65 mph, 1500 rpm, most of the way, except for traffic and lights in a few small towns. Even tried a few speedy passes on slow cars. When I arrived home, I had averaged 30.3 mpg. To double check, I filled the tank and it took less than 8 gallons. Spot on. My car now has 457 miles and I am very happy with the the mpg, the hp, and the looks. I see 31 mpg or better in the near future. This weekend I'm going on a drive to the Virginia mountains and then to the Chesapeake Bay. That will give me some more mpg information.
Old 6/29/10, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That's why I said we don't have the tech yet. But we will.
Its the same story for the ethanol scam turning precious food into inefficient fuel. It takes more (foreign) oil to produce than the ethanol you get out of it.

The 2010 Camaro V6 is just as high tech as the new Mustang V6 in every way PLUS it one-up's us with Direct Injection.

It really is just as impressive of a motor, and could probably have very good results (maybe not AS good) in a similar 45-55 MPH test at Bristol. It is geared a bit higher (like having the 3.31 opt. in the Mustang), and the M/T car is a little more eff. than the A/T if I remember right; plus it is like 300 lbs. heavier and probably not as aerodynamic as we all know.

The 2010 Camaro V8's are still old tech "push rod" design though ... maybe this was what you were thinking of.

Doug
Old 6/30/10, 11:53 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
The 2010 Camaro V6 is just as high tech as the new Mustang V6 in every way PLUS it one-up's us with Direct Injection.

It really is just as impressive of a motor, and could probably have very good results (maybe not AS good) in a similar 45-55 MPH test at Bristol. It is geared a bit higher (like having the 3.31 opt. in the Mustang), and the M/T car is a little more eff. than the A/T if I remember right; plus it is like 300 lbs. heavier and probably not as aerodynamic as we all know.

The 2010 Camaro V8's are still old tech "push rod" design though ... maybe this was what you were thinking of.

Doug
You are correct - I wasn't aware it was a DOHC 6. My bad. Apologies to all TMS Camaro V6 lovers.

As to fuel performance, I find it unusual the Camaro's peak torque is so high at 5000. Seems like the lack of low end would hamper city mileage but EPA says 18 city...

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection Displacement: 218 cu in, 3564cc
Power (SAE net): 304 bhp @ 6400 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 273 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
Old 6/30/10, 12:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Funny you should mention it, the V6 Camaro is what got me seriously interested in a new "pony car", and look what I ended up with!

The V6 Camaro actually gets very good mileage, and is very fun to drive -- I rented one for a 24-hour test drive and got 26 MPG measured/calculated average including a good bit of stop-and-go (but not much WOT because I was in unfamiliar territory) and 30.5 on a simulated highway/back-roads commute. It is rated a little lower than the V6 'stang, but pretty close. (for comparison I am getting 27-28 on a very similar commute with my GT, not bad!)

The Camaro was fun for a day, but I wouldn't want to live with one . . .

Anyway, it would be interesting to see what the Camaro would do in this test, I'd predict it would be in the mid 40's based on the Mustang's 48 . . . and it would be even better to see what a Prius would do, I think we'd see that the Mustang is a lot closer to the Prius in basic efficiency of turning gas into motion than a lot of people would assume.
Old 6/30/10, 09:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Funny you should mention it, the V6 Camaro is what got me seriously interested in a new "pony car", and look what I ended up with!
Same here. Was looking at Accord and Altima coupes and one day a banner ad for the Camaro came up. "Cars like that can get 29mpg highway? Really?!?!?!?!"
Old 6/30/10, 09:54 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MattN03
It's an impressive number but not likely to be reproduced in the real world, so what's the point?
Publicity, people will talk more about the number and less about the technique. This is much the same as turning a good time at Nurburgring Nordschleife - great publicity but ultimately meaningless.
Old 7/1/10, 10:26 AM
GT Member

I hear this a bit.

"A Mustang? You getting that one with over 300hp and gets 31mpg too?"

The publicity this new car has is great.