Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2015 or 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/14, 07:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedStang1
I'm actually ok with just the stock hp in the car!
I was just pointing out that the Eco4 can make great power, and I wouldn't be surprised that soon some V8 guys will get the hurt put on them by a lowly 4 cylinder.
Old 12/8/14, 07:22 PM
GT Member

^^^ agreed.

But then comes the whole mod for mod argument... And at some point you could just put a blower on the v8 and its end of story :P

But for the sake of the argument, simple tune, downpipe, inter cooler, intake would make great power without the traction issues of the focus st.

I agree, if I wanted the better mpg/daily car I would have kept my ST. I think it's a valid option for those that want a lower cost of ownership but still want a rwd performance car with 300 hp... I'd take it over a genesis coupe 3.8 and its miles cheaper and more practical than a 370z... And would stomp the ft86 twins. It just tough when the coyote is the big brother. Really tough.
Old 12/8/14, 07:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0
^^^ agreed.

But then comes the whole mod for mod argument... And at some point you could just put a blower on the v8 and its end of story :P

But for the sake of the argument, simple tune, downpipe, inter cooler, intake would make great power without the traction issues of the focus st.

I agree, if I wanted the better mpg/daily car I would have kept my ST. I think it's a valid option for those that want a lower cost of ownership but still want a rwd performance car with 300 hp... I'd take it over a genesis coupe 3.8 and its miles cheaper and more practical than a 370z... And would stomp the ft86 twins. It just tough when the coyote is the big brother. Really tough.
This is true, though there are some stupid 900hp 4 cylinders and they aren't built from the factory like the Eco4. I also can't wait to see what happens to the V8 Mustang once the Focus RS comes out.
Old 12/9/14, 08:08 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HP numbers make for great conversation and bragging rights but remember there is no replacement for displacement....

Its great to have 300 hp but if the HP isnt available at lower RPMs....

To me... just me.. a mustang has always been a 5.0 V8 (Though I have owned a 4.6 GT before). It just wouldnt be right to me as a ecoboost or v6.
Old 12/9/14, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
HP numbers make for great conversation and bragging rights but remember there is no replacement for displacement....

To me... just me.. a mustang has always been a 5.0 V8 (Though I have owned a 4.6 GT before). It just wouldnt be right to me as a ecoboost or v6.
Everyone has their opinions, but there is replacement for displacement, look at the 1.6l v6 turbo's that they ran in F1 that made something like 1000hp, very small displacement. That being said I do agree that a Mustang traditionally speaking should be a V8, but with fuel costs increasing and CAFE laws they won't be around forever and if you can make stupid power on a smaller more efficient motor and still have the styling we love as Mustang owners, then by all means give me a 2.3l that could make 500 wheel.
Old 12/9/14, 12:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Everyone has their opinions, but there is replacement for displacement, look at the 1.6l v6 turbo's that they ran in F1 that made something like 1000hp, very small displacement. That being said I do agree that a Mustang traditionally speaking should be a V8, but with fuel costs increasing and CAFE laws they won't be around forever and if you can make stupid power on a smaller more efficient motor and still have the styling we love as Mustang owners, then by all means give me a 2.3l that could make 500 wheel.

True, you can get smaller motors to put out more power via turbos...but I would image they work harder and may not loast as long...just imagine if you were to do the same to a larger motor.......

I guess I like simplicity to a degree. Putting turbos (2 for ecoboost) on a motor adds another part that could fail... an expensive part... I really hope these newish ecoboost motors can hold up over the long run and dont cost folks alot in repairs years down the road.
Old 12/9/14, 12:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

True, you can get smaller motors to put out more power via turbos...but I would image they work harder and may not loast as long...just imagine if you were to do the same to a larger motor.......

I guess I like simplicity to a degree. Putting turbos (2 for ecoboost) on a motor adds another part that could fail... an expensive part... I really hope these newish ecoboost motors can hold up over the long run and dont cost folks alot in repairs years down the road.
The Eco4 is a single turbo, and just like any other motor if you increase one thing it will strain something else. If you increase boost it will increase the strain on the turbo, but improving exhaust flow will inversely reduce the pressure. Also just like a V8 there is only so much you can get NA before you hit a wall and require boost of some kind to increase power.
Old 12/9/14, 12:51 PM

I love the styling of my 2014 V6 SGM MCA Premium. As an all around car it is awesome and does what I need it to do. Love the performance from the 6 speed manual.
As for higher performance... My Z06 satisfies those needs quite nicely ;^) Best of both worlds!!
Old 12/9/14, 01:13 PM
GT Member

The Eco4 is a single turbo, and just like any other motor if you increase one thing it will strain something else. If you increase boost it will increase the strain on the turbo, but improving exhaust flow will inversely reduce the pressure. Also just like a V8 there is only so much you can get NA before you hit a wall and require boost of some kind to increase power.

I thought the ecoboost had two smaller turbos is to make spin up faster??
Old 12/9/14, 01:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I thought the ecoboost had two smaller turbos is to make spin up faster??
Single turbo, the Eco6 is a twin turbo.
Old 12/9/14, 04:24 PM
V6 Member

OP- In my opinion keep your GT and maybe wait a year or two to see what is going on. I bought a 15 EB. I love it and I'm tired of hearing all this hate. I am on Mustang number 4 and I now have driven the whole spectrum. 2 V8's, a V6, and now an Ecoboost and they were all real Mustangs. I still own a 65 Coupe w/ a 289 V8. My new EB is quick, nimble, and handles like it is on rails. I love this car and especially the gas mileage. This car is my DD and I'm getting around 400 miles to a full tank w/ mixed highway/city driving. Coming off a divorce I couldn't purchase the V8, but I am very happy with my purchase of the EB.
Old 12/9/14, 05:51 PM

I just got a chance to drive the focus ST, super fun and a great DD. I would try to keep your GT and just get the focus for better gas if you can swing another payment.
Old 12/9/14, 09:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Another argument against the whole displacement idea is the Fiat S76 that just recently ran for the first time in 104 years, 28.5l engine and only 290hp. Yeah it's an old motor but efficiency is how you make power not size.
Old 12/9/14, 11:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by humster21
OP- In my opinion keep your GT and maybe wait a year or two to see what is going on. I bought a 15 EB. I love it and I'm tired of hearing all this hate. I am on Mustang number 4 and I now have driven the whole spectrum. 2 V8's, a V6, and now an Ecoboost and they were all real Mustangs. I still own a 65 Coupe w/ a 289 V8. My new EB is quick, nimble, and handles like it is on rails. I love this car and especially the gas mileage. This car is my DD and I'm getting around 400 miles to a full tank w/ mixed highway/city driving. Coming off a divorce I couldn't purchase the V8, but I am very happy with my purchase of the EB.
Congrats on the new wheels! Wish I could get 400 on a tank with the V6 :-)
Old 12/11/14, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would keep the 14 GT and wait to see if there are any bugs to work out on the 15's plus it might not be financially smart to trade in so soon.

As far as what model to buy, only you know what is important to you. I like the V8 power and sound and the ecoboost and V6 don't cut it in the sound department for me. I could probably live with the ecoboost power though but I like the V8 so it's probably what I would get. Since my car is not a DD, I don't really care about gas mileage and is not why I bought the car in the first place.

Wayne
Old 12/11/14, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1000 hp is childs play. Lol
Check out this 10,000 HP 8.2 litre (500 cui) V8. That's 1200 HP per litre!!
There is no replacement for displacement!! Period....end of story.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...orsepower.aspx
Old 12/11/14, 06:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Cdvision
1000 hp is childs play. Lol
Check out this 10,000 HP 8.2 litre (500 cui) V8. That's 1200 HP per litre!!
There is no replacement for displacement!! Period....end of story.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...orsepower.aspx
In that example yes, but ceteris paribus if you could make a 4.1l motor that produced 5000hp and weighed half as much the car would be just as fast with half the displacement, again it's efficiency that gets you that power not entirely the size of it.
Old 12/11/14, 09:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the 2014 - you'll get killed on depreciation. I'm not thrilled with the new car - it's OK but I like my 2014 GT better. That said, when I saw the GT350, I started running the numbers on my 2014 with 2,600 miles on it. I paid 34K and it is worth 26K now and it is better than new with the extras I've put on it. It would take about 27K and the 2014 to get a GT350 so it will stay a dream. If I get bored I'll supercharge the 2014.

Scott
Old 12/11/14, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
In that example yes, but ceteris paribus if you could make a 4.1l motor that produced 5000hp and weighed half as much the car would be just as fast with half the displacement, again it's efficiency that gets you that power not entirely the size of it.
That's kinda like being the tallest midget.

You just don't get it.
Old 12/11/14, 11:50 PM
CBJ
V6 Member

I wouldn't consider this if I were you. Too many negatives. You're losing power and value for trading down. You'd be better waiting for another year or two for a swap with a new GT because the prices are slightly inflated at the moment.

Originally Posted by RedStang1
Hi guys, I don't know what I want to do with my Mustang! I have a 2014 GT and like the 2015 Mustang. I don't know if I want to trade mine in and get a new one. Would it be a downgrade if I got a 2015 Ecoboost? I'll probably miss the v8 sound and power but the new style is nice. What would you recommend or do if you were in my situation? I saw a post where a member was asking if you would trade in your 2005 Mustang but 2014 and 2015 years are so close!

Quick Reply: 2015 or 2014?