2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 V6 Automatic play/delay

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/14, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 V6 Automatic play/delay

Hello and thanks for taking time to read this. I took delivery of a 2014 V6 Mustang this week with 9000 miles on the clock. I've noticed at low rpm, there is the slightest lag, or play in the drivetrain. Example, from a standing stop, for a split second, throttle advances, car does not move, and there is very subtle clunk, when the the car starts moving. This also happens when slowing down and coming to a stop, just the slightest sensation of play in the drivetrain and a soft clunk.

Hey don't get me wrong, I am happy with the car, and not had a Ford for many years other than driving a 2012 rental a couple of years ago also a V6 automatic. Is what I have described normal?

thanks!
Old 10/3/14, 02:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I wouldn't like that either. Take 'er back to the dealer. It could be as simple as reprogramming the computer to take care of the lag. Good luck.
Old 10/7/14, 06:59 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangD7
Hello and thanks for taking time to read this. I took delivery of a 2014 V6 Mustang this week with 9000 miles on the clock. I've noticed at low rpm, there is the slightest lag, or play in the drivetrain. Example, from a standing stop, for a split second, throttle advances, car does not move, and there is very subtle clunk, when the the car starts moving. This also happens when slowing down and coming to a stop, just the slightest sensation of play in the drivetrain and a soft clunk.

Hey don't get me wrong, I am happy with the car, and not had a Ford for many years other than driving a 2012 rental a couple of years ago also a V6 automatic. Is what I have described normal?

thanks!
Hello MustangD7,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you have it checked out at your Ford Dealer to make sure there’s nothing else going on. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area if needed.

Deysha
Old 10/7/14, 07:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Basically it is normal. Especially with a two piece drive shaft and an automatic transmission. Car needs time to get used to your driving style (software is programmed to learn the way you drive and tries to adjust parameters for best fuel economy).

I recommend you reset the ECU so the info from the previous driver is erased.

Pop the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it disconnect for 10 minutes. Connect it after 10 min and the ECU will be reset. This may help the issue.
Old 10/7/14, 09:28 AM

Thanks FordService and Xtc.inc for your replys, I'm going to make an appointment for service at the dealership, a friend who is knowledgable about transmissions tells me after riding in the car, that he thinks the clutches are slipping, which needs to be adressed if true.
Old 10/7/14, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks FordService and Xtc.inc for your replys, I'm going to make an appointment for service at the dealership, a friend who is knowledgable about transmissions tells me after riding in the car, that he thinks the clutches are slipping, which needs to be adressed if true.
You are going to hear exactly what i told you by the dealer.
Clutches are not slipping. I can tell you that right now. Especially since the 6R80 is a single clutch system. Absolutely no reason for there to be issues of slippage on a 2014 vehicle, especially on an automatic. The problem you described is a well known thing (run a search on any mustang forum and you will see) and is related to ecu software (shift points) and the factory 2 piece driveshaft. There is always going to be slop in the drivetrain and Ford considers this normal. Anyways, i wish you the best of luck and i hope you end up satisfied with your vehicle in the end.
Old 10/7/14, 12:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
You are going to hear exactly what i told you by the dealer.
Clutches are not slipping. I can tell you that right now. Especially since the 6R80 is a single clutch system. Absolutely no reason for there to be issues of slippage on a 2014 vehicle, especially on an automatic. The problem you described is a well known thing (run a search on any mustang forum and you will see) and is related to ecu software (shift points) and the factory 2 piece driveshaft. There is always going to be slop in the drivetrain and Ford considers this normal. Anyways, i wish you the best of luck and i hope you end up satisfied with your vehicle in the end.
Old 10/8/14, 06:46 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks FordService and Xtc.inc for your replys, I'm going to make an appointment for service at the dealership, a friend who is knowledgeable about transmissions tells me after riding in the car, that he thinks the clutches are slipping, which needs to be addressed if true.
I would still get it looked at by your dealer, MustangD7. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
Old 10/8/14, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the replies, the Mustang needs to go in to get the rear window defroster working, so, having the transmission checked out won't hurt, and will put it on the record. The 2012 V6 Auto I drove as a rental did not act the way this 2014 V6 auto does, so I am curous as to what, if anything is going on.

again, thanks.
Old 10/15/14, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
Old 10/17/14, 06:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks!
Welcome to the Forum, what you're describing sounds normal to me and I experience what you're describing after some "spirited" driving....
Old 10/18/14, 06:59 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Pop the hood and open the fuse box. Pull out fuse number 47 for half an hour then reinstall the fuse. This should reset the automatic transmission memory crap.