2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014+ News sorta...re: IRS or SRA

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/09, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the S197 goes the way of the Fox, at least we have a decent platform to start with this time...
Old 1/8/09, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Zoomie
If the S197 goes the way of the Fox, at least we have a decent platform to start with this time...
I bet that they were saving that when the Fox came out Technology changes too quickly now-a-days. The S197 platform is still modern, but for how much longer?
Old 1/8/09, 02:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT

Some here have owned both 03-04 Cobras and GT500s and will assure you that the handling is equal or better and I would agree. My main argument is that the IRS on the Cobra was compromised to fit on a very dated platform. I feel that a modern day IRS built from the ground up along with the next Mustang will be worlds ahead of the current 05-10+ cars. If one properly modifies their IRS setup on a Cobra
That's what a lot of people don't understand and why IRS has a bad name associated with it in Mustang circles. The previous gen platform was never designed to accept an IRS suspension. SVT had to use the existing SRA mounting points to design the IRS rear around. This is hardly ideal and was actually a great engineering exercise on SVT’s part. Secondly, you have a chassis that had the torsional rigidity of newspaper. I’d love to see a modern IRS in the S197 for two reasons:

1. The chassis is designed to accept a proper (geometry) IRS suspension.
2. The chassis is VERY stiff in stock form.

What I think funny is that the engineer was quoted as saying “we understand it”. Does Ford not have the expertise to build a sports car with an IRS rear anymore in North America?
Old 1/8/09, 03:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
It was a quick assessment. And after much research Tampabear67 is having some fun at my expense

Sorry

Sorry, I just thought it would be kinda funny. I intentionally left the Tag at the bottom when I flipped it as a clue. It's actually more like the Aborted GTO replacement. It was called the Holden Coupe 60. A thinly disguised version of the Monaro's replacement, which is the Holden that the last GTO was based on. It's a shame it won't be making it here. It would've been a great car. You gotta admit that those Tail Lights do kinda look Mustangish though.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/holden-coupe-60.html

The sweetest thing to me though is that it was a Pillar-less, True Hardtop!

Last edited by TampaBear67; 1/8/09 at 03:30 PM.
Old 1/8/09, 03:09 PM
GT Member

They're saving the IRS for the new gen Thunderbird, which will be a higher end car than the Mustang. It'll be a 2 door coupe, about the same size as the current mustang. Detuned 5.0 V8, with powershift trans, IRS, and all the luxury goodies the current mustang is getting, plus more. The mustang will turn back to a lighter smaller coupe, sporting a new hatchback style, keeping the live axle.

Whoa...I need to lay off the Benadryl.
Old 1/8/09, 03:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Sounds Great To Me!
Old 1/8/09, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
Sorry, I just thought it would be kinda funny. I intentionally left the Tag at the bottom when I flipped it as a clue. It's actually more like the Aborted GTO replacement. It was called the Holden Coupe 60. A thinly disguised version of the Monaro's replacement, which is the Holden that the last GTO was based on. It's a shame it won't be making it here. It would've been a great car. You gotta admit that those Tail Lights do kinda look Mustangish though.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/holden-coupe-60.html

The sweetest thing to me though is that it was a Pillar-less, True Hardtop!

Man, that Holden Coupe (GTO?) Concept was HAWT! Of course, GM/Pontiac polled and studied their way into not building this thing, which I think is a **** shame. This car would have expanded the '04-'06 GT0s many strengths while addressing its one main weak point, its bland and somewhat dated styling (not the the original '64 was any rolling super model either). Oh well, at least the 4-door variant, the G8 GXP.
Old 1/8/09, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SRA can't be made to handle...well ask the drivers of the Porsche,BMW and Nissan race teams in the Koni Challenge how the "Wagon Axle" Mustangs handle. Mustang FR 500's have owned the GS class for 3 years!!
Old 1/8/09, 04:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah Rhumb, but I HATE 4 Door Cars! I'm a Really Big Guy, 6'4" 380, and 4 Doors always put that **** post right in my field of vision, another reason I LOVE Pillar-less Hardtops, but I can live with a nice 2 Door Coupe. I actually really wanted an 05 GTO for quite a while. Not because it was a GTO but since it really reminded me more of my 97 Thunderbird. I kinda wished Ford would have gone that route with the T-Bird rather than the 2 Seat Mess they built.
Old 1/8/09, 05:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBear67
I found the first spy pic of the 2014 Mustang GT already. So much for getting rid of the Black Plastic.

That back end looks like it could have evolved from the SN95 Mustangs. I would never approve a backend like this on a future Mustang because it is to sedan-like and looks like every other sedan rear on the market.

I kinda like the design of the Holden taillamps... Not so much the peremeter shape but the lens detail which looks real and more stealth instead of like the candy transformer mutant model car looking taillamp lenses the 2010 has.
Old 1/8/09, 07:27 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by Godspeed01
They're saving the IRS for the new gen Thunderbird, which will be a higher end car than the Mustang. It'll be a 2 door coupe, about the same size as the current mustang. Detuned 5.0 V8, with powershift trans, IRS, and all the luxury goodies the current mustang is getting, plus more. The mustang will turn back to a lighter smaller coupe, sporting a new hatchback style, keeping the live axle.

Whoa...I need to lay off the Benadryl.

Of course, you were just joking. I hope
Old 1/8/09, 07:38 PM
GT Member

Motor Trends speculations are usually incorrect.
Old 1/8/09, 08:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Which is why, I usually take magazine articles with a grain of salt.
Old 1/8/09, 08:35 PM
FR500 Member

If the 2014 Mustang won't get a IRS rear end - It's just sad how Ford's current SUVs get those (I wonder why ) while it still can't put one in a high production volume sporting car.

I'm looking forward to Matech dominating the GT series once they're done upgrading their Ford GTs to SRA... Corvette, Aston, and Ferrari also need to step their game up.

Last edited by hi5.0; 1/8/09 at 08:43 PM.
Old 1/8/09, 08:35 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
They way ford is I'd think this is a definite possibility.
If they do that they are morons (no IRS)
Old 1/8/09, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guys please don't compare the IRS in the 99-04 Mustang SVT to a proper IRS. They shoe horned a T-Bird/Lincoln MarkVIII IRS into a loosey goosey chasses with loads of compromise. I would love to see an IRS in a Mustang in 2014, hell I'd like to see one now.

I haven't owned a SRA car since my 98 Mustang Cobra..2 E46 M3's and now a 07 997S, there really is no comparison especially on the street. On a smooth race track an SRA will do quite well with a watts setup, but on the street an IRS really does shine.

I know opinions will differ, that's cool.

Dave
Old 1/9/09, 10:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Guys please don't compare the IRS in the 99-04 Mustang SVT to a proper IRS. They shoe horned a T-Bird/Lincoln MarkVIII IRS into a loosey goosey chasses with loads of compromise. I would love to see an IRS in a Mustang in 2014, hell I'd like to see one now.

I haven't owned a SRA car since my 98 Mustang Cobra..2 E46 M3's and now a 07 997S, there really is no comparison especially on the street. On a smooth race track an SRA will do quite well with a watts setup, but on the street an IRS really does shine.

I know opinions will differ, that's cool.

Dave
but I would still be happy with either, because it's really just spitting hairs for 90% of what the car will be used for by most owners. (myself included)
Old 1/9/09, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Motor Trend's speculations are pretty much worthless, but if we really need to rehash this topic one more time, I have to agree with the idea that very few people can even tell the difference at this point. The SRA has actually developed to a point where it provides a great ride in 95% of situations for a much cheaper price.

Plus, for me personally, I like the rugged feeling the SRA can give you. It's a big part of that muscle car feel. I think if you really care that much about having IRS in a Mustang, then you're probably driving the wrong car.
Old 1/9/09, 09:51 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Clino
Motor Trend's speculations are pretty much worthless, but if we really need to rehash this topic one more time, I have to agree with the idea that very few people can even tell the difference at this point. The SRA has actually developed to a point where it provides a great ride in 95% of situations for a much cheaper price.

Plus, for me personally, I like the rugged feeling the SRA can give you. It's a big part of that muscle car feel. I think if you really care that much about having IRS in a Mustang, then you're probably driving the wrong car.
You're right. This is the 2014-15 Mustang we're talking about; the "next generation" Mustang -- the 2010 -- hasn't even been released, yet! At this point, Ford probably doesn't even know yet which rear suspension setup they're going to go with...
Old 1/9/09, 10:55 PM
Cobra R Member

I guess this is almost pointless debating this subject but oh well.... Why must people consider the cost as the main culprit? This wouldn't differ much in price at all, back in 99' the Cobra was given an all new exterior, IRS, better overall suspension and additional HP over the 98' Cobra along with all the new for 99' features. The price increase (according to my info obtained through The Mustang Source) is $1760. Keep in mind part of that is due to a brand new model are we not seeing a bump in price for the 10' Mustang in general? Don't worry if it hurts Ford's bottom line, they are not worried about yours.

Those of us advocating an IRS look at it as more than just better handling, those of us who live in places with not the best roads notice the difference big time. I think it is insane that the 10' model doesn't offer an IRS never mind the model beyond that. Flame me all you want but the fact is Ford is going to get their asses kicked by the competition if they do not improve this car soon. As is the brand new Mustang already lacks the power, IRS and extra gear than it's competition from Dodge and Chevy have. I don't see why people that want what the other pony cars have (6 speed, IRS, 400HP) should look elsewhere? Do I need to accept an inferior car to be a true Mustang enthusiast? I still feel the 10' Mustang has great potential but I'm not buying until we see some major improvement.

Quick Reply: 2014+ News sorta...re: IRS or SRA