Notices
2010-2014 Mustang News on the Previous Generation Mustang

2014 Convertible Top Issue?

Old 6/9/19, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
2014 Convertible Top Issue?

So today Iím cleaning my interior and Iím ready to put the top down and I notice whatís in the pic Iím posting. I donít remember it looking this sloppy. Can other convertible owners confirm this is not right?

Thanks!
Old 6/23/19, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just looked at mine and it does not look like that man.
Old 6/23/19, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Hwyman View Post
Just looked at mine and it does not look like that man.
Thanks! Kind of figured. No clue what to do. I guess I need to find out if itís a real problem or just a visual thing. Iíd hate to have the top screwed with and it get worse. Only 3500 miles and limited top usage too.
Old 6/23/19, 07:21 PM

I actually pushed on mine a little to see if there was any give and it was pretty tight. I don't know how it is held in place, but you might want to take it to someone professional to see what is up.
That is some pretty low mileage.
I use my top all the time. As soon as the temp gauge on the car hits 20 degrees celcius the top comes down.
But you live in Boston area . it is a lot colder there than it is here in Vancouver, Canada.
The following users liked this post:
VidPro (Yesterday)
Old 6/24/19, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I actually pushed on mine a little to see if there was any give and it was pretty tight. I don't know how it is held in place, but you might want to take it to someone professional to see what is up.
That is some pretty low mileage.
I use my top all the time. As soon as the temp gauge on the car hits 20 degrees celcius the top comes down.
But you live in Boston area . it is a lot colder there than it is here in Vancouver, Canada.
Thanks. I'm hoping I can rack up some miles this summer. Lots of reasons why I don't use it a lot..one of them being is that I work at a high school and no way can I trust the parking lot group here not to smash my doors. And I'm talking about the adults!

Oh I thought you were giving me a hard time not using my convertible as much with the comment that where you are in Canada is warmer than the Boston area. I had to look it up. LOL! Anyway thanks for checking and letting me know. I need to make some calls.
Old 6/24/19, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

So the more I look at it and think about it, the piece that Iím looking at is really all about the liner. The question is can it be fixed without peeling back the top to get at it?
Old 6/24/19, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I literally registered for this forum for this post (I came looking for something else, but this jumped out at me).

I recently came into possession of a 2013 Mustang GT/CS Convertible with 25k miles on it, and a couple of weeks ago I noticed this same exact anomaly. It's almost as if that strip of plastic warped somehow. The top operates normally, and I can't see anything out of the ordinary that would cause this while opening and closing. There are no leaks or other structural weaknesses in the actual cloth top. It's just an eyesore.

Not sure about a solution D:
VidPro (Yesterday)
Old 6/24/19, 08:32 PM

I'm at work right now. Tomorrow when I get up I will look in my service manual and see if there are any diagrams on the top for you to look at.
VidPro (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Okay. So I managed to extract some pdf files for the exploded view of the convertible top.
I don't know how much it helps, but it might give you an idea at what you are looking at.
Attached Files
VidPro (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Okay. So I managed to extract some pdf files for the exploded view of the convertible top.
I don't know how much it helps, but it might give you an idea at what you are looking at.
Thatís very helpful and thanks for posting. Iíd say by that image that piece is all about the liner. Itís ugly, but if the top is ok Iím gonna leave it unless itís an easy fix.
JOValleau (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
That’s very helpful and thanks for posting. I’d say by that image that piece is all about the liner. It’s ugly, but if the top is ok I’m gonna leave it unless it’s an easy fix.

Same.

Looks like maybe some adhesive/double-sided tape came loose, if I'm looking at the diagram correctly.

Besides, no one is gonna see it with that top dropped, am I right?
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JOValleau View Post
Same.

Looks like maybe some adhesive/double-sided tape came loose, if I'm looking at the diagram correctly.

Besides, no one is gonna see it with that top dropped, am I right?
Yeah I can feel the adhesive in there. If thatís all thatís holding it itís a poor design.