General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Convertible - went touring in one and now I want one!

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/14, 12:08 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Convertible - went touring in one and now I want one!

Hi All

A history of me - I'm going to be buying a Mustang next year...it'll be used (I'm thinking 2011 - 2012 for affordability's sake and the newer V6) and I've been mulling over whether to save a little more and set my sights on a convertible.

Went this weekend with a friend who's just "restored" (more mechanical restoration than anything else) a late 80's BMW 3 series convertible on a nice long winding drive in the sunshine with our "tween" daughters in the back and we all loved it.

It had an auto box but he's retrofitted a 5 speed manual which added to the car immensely. It's no speed demon but a few of the usual mods (intake, exhaust) make it entertaining.

I however am stuck with getting an auto - it's an absolute no budging point on the Mrs's part, as we both will be using this vehicle fairly equally. But, as this will be a semi-modern convertible with a working heater for all weather use, she's gone from "No way" to being into the whole convertible thing.

So my next step is to rent a 2014 while the rental place still has them to see how it feels (I'm 6'2" and Mrs is 5'0"). But we both fit into my small Nissan NX2000 so I imagine after reading multi accounts in the forum, that shouldn't be a problem.

It will be a daily driver some of the time but I work at home and my wife works just a short distance away (can bike ride it in 20 minutes which she does in the summer, but in winter there are a lot of dark roads and she works late sometimes). We have a 2005 Freestar to do the bulk of the running around and the rough stuff.

So, I ask you...living with a convertible...anybody have a convertible and regretted it? Thought it was the best decision ever? Tips or tricks?
Old 9/30/14, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really depends on where you live. I use my mustang as my DD and have every intention on driving in in the winter season here in Canada Ontario. I would never do that though if it were a convertible. Looks like you're out in BC? yah - convertible makes more sense for you.

P.S - You will never hear a mustang (convertible) owner tell you that they've had any regrets in purchasing the convertible! its just that nice
Old 9/30/14, 01:53 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
You will never hear a mustang (convertible) owner tell you that they've had any regrets in purchasing the convertible! its just that nice
Amen to that.

Living in NJ means that a 'vert is impractical as a DD, and I accepted that reality when I got my '14 GT Premium in May. But I've had 5 months of sheer joy on as many days as the weather would let me drop the top.

The feeling of freedom and openness and wind in your face is exhilarating. Nothing is better than cruising in a convertible on a warm summer night, always taking the long way home. It's the most fun I've had with my clothes on.

Now that Summer is over, I've had to adjust....top down during the day, top up later in the evening. I'll keep doing that until it just gets too cold and then hibernation until Spring.

Yup, no regrets.
Old 10/21/21, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt
Hi All

A history of me - I'm going to be buying a Mustang next year...it'll be used (I'm thinking 2011 - 2012 for affordability's sake and the newer V6) and I've been mulling over whether to save a little more and set my sights on a convertible.

Went this weekend with a friend who's just "restored" (more mechanical restoration than anything else) a late 80's BMW 3 series convertible on a nice long winding drive in the sunshine with our "tween" daughters in the back and we all loved it.

It had an auto box but he's retrofitted a 5 speed manual which added to the car immensely. It's no speed demon but a few of the usual mods (intake, exhaust) make it entertaining.

I however am stuck with getting an auto - it's an absolute no budging point on the Mrs's part, as we both will be using this vehicle fairly equally. But, as this will be a semi-modern convertible with a working heater for all weather use, she's gone from "No way" to being into the whole convertible thing.

So my next step is to rent a 2014 while the rental place still has them to see how it feels (I'm 6'2" and Mrs is 5'0"). But we both fit into my small Nissan NX2000 so I imagine after reading multi accounts in the forum, that shouldn't be a problem.

It will be a daily driver some of the time but I work at home and my wife works just a short distance away (can bike ride it in 20 minutes which she does in the summer, but in winter there are a lot of dark roads and she works late sometimes). We have a 2005 Freestar to do the bulk of the running around and the rough stuff.

So, I ask you...living with a convertible...anybody have a convertible and regretted it? Thought it was the best decision ever? Tips or tricks?
I've always been a convertible guy, and it's really not a question in my mind, DD or not. I had a 2012 3.7 V6 Convertible, and it was fabulous - put 40,000 on it in 5 years, including cross-country. I essentially traded it for my 2006 GT Convertible just to get the V8 and 5-speed. Both were triple black. V6 was automatic and 310 HP. 2006 V8 5 speed and 300 HP - Go figure!