Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Mustang GT intermittent no start

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/14, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mustang GT intermittent no start

Hello,
I am new to the forums but have owned and professionally worked on many Mustangs over the years. I recently bought a 2013 Mustang GT with 1k miles on it. After driving it for 1k miles myself, I have experienced 3 occurrences where the car will crank but not start. The first time it happened, I just pulled away from a parking space and the car died. Multiple tries to restart were no good. I kept attempting to restart and finally it did.

Drove home right after and parked. Came out an hour later.....no start but strong crank. Tried a couple times, started. No problems again for 10 or so days even through -30 temps until today. Went to leave the house and no start. It's +34 today....

Wondering if anyone has experienced this? I haven't checked for codes (waiting for my tuner to arrive) but I have had no indication lights on or gremlins with the electrical system that were obvious.

I looked through several pages of forums so far and didn't see anything similar so if there is one, I apologize for a duplicate. Just putting it out there before I go to the dealer......I leave for the Florida Keys in two weeks so I need to address this issue.

Thanks for any help!
Old 2/14/14, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Todd72
Hello, I am new to the forums but have owned and professionally worked on many Mustangs over the years. I recently bought a 2013 Mustang GT with 1k miles on it. After driving it for 1k miles myself, I have experienced 3 occurrences where the car will crank but not start. The first time it happened, I just pulled away from a parking space and the car died. Multiple tries to restart were no good. I kept attempting to restart and finally it did. Drove home right after and parked. Came out an hour later.....no start but strong crank. Tried a couple times, started. No problems again for 10 or so days even through -30 temps until today. Went to leave the house and no start. It's +34 today.... Wondering if anyone has experienced this? I haven't checked for codes (waiting for my tuner to arrive) but I have had no indication lights on or gremlins with the electrical system that were obvious. I looked through several pages of forums so far and didn't see anything similar so if there is one, I apologize for a duplicate. Just putting it out there before I go to the dealer......I leave for the Florida Keys in two weeks so I need to address this issue. Thanks for any help!
if it's still under warranty why not take it to the dealer?
Old 2/14/14, 02:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Todd, I agree with Rob. I haven't heard of one doing this. Good luck.
Old 2/14/14, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a TSB for intermittent crank with no start. Apparently they routed a wiring harness to the fuel pump incorrectly from the factory and the rear seat damages the wire. It does however say that most times a fuse will blow. So this may not be your issue... Keep us informed!
Old 2/14/14, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get to the dealer right away and before you upload the tune.
Old 2/15/14, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ctodd1
Get to the dealer right away and before you upload the tune.
What he said. Do not load a tune until you have a dealer look at and repair this issue. Good luck and have fun in the Keys!
Old 2/15/14, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree - take it to the dealer. I can only guess that you will have to contend with. I am sure they are going to tell you that they could not replicate the issue.
Good luck.
Old 2/17/14, 08:06 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd72
Hello,
I am new to the forums but have owned and professionally worked on many Mustangs over the years. I recently bought a 2013 Mustang GT with 1k miles on it. After driving it for 1k miles myself, I have experienced 3 occurrences where the car will crank but not start. The first time it happened, I just pulled away from a parking space and the car died. Multiple tries to restart were no good. I kept attempting to restart and finally it did. ...
Hello Todd72,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 2/17/14, 12:28 PM

Thanks all, I was planning on taking it to the dealer this week because I am off of work (rotating shift work sucks). I was only inquiring to see if anyone else had this issue. I was a ford tech for 12 years so I have a pretty good working knowledge of the car.

Anyway, the car left me stranded Saturday morning and it got towed to a local dealer. Long story short, I knew it was a fuel issue because the pump wasn't running when it finally refused to start. The dealer looked at it Saturday and said there is a code for "open circuit to fuel pump." They are doing the pin point tests now to find the open circuit. I knew of the TSB and apparently that "issue" has been looked at and ruled out.

So here it is Monday afternoon and the dealer brought a loaner to my house to use in the mean time. So far a thumbs up for the customer service.....

I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I here. Thanks for all your advice.
Old 2/17/14, 04:56 PM

Well, just got back from picking up my car. The tech found a loose ground wire / bolt for the fuel pump driver module (G100 ground). Said the bolt was stripped and loose. Installed a new bolt, tightly this time, and she's running like new again! The description stated the location of the bolt was at the core support........I'll be looking for the actual location and I'll post pics in case some other poor sap runs into the same issue.

I appreciate the input from you all and for the record, I had no intention of "tuning" the car just yet. A tuner is on the way but it's for future use. I brought the question to all of you in case someone had the same issue. Being an old Ford tech, I like to be a step ahead of the guy assigned to work on the car so if he (or she) tries to sell me a line of BS, I got an ace in my pocket....
Old 2/18/14, 09:15 AM

Ok, for anyone out there that might be interested in my issue, here are the locations (attached pics) for both grounds checked. According to the tech, the G100 at the core support was the culprit but the G400 behind the rear seat is part of the same system. He said the bolt was stripped and was loose @ G100. A new bolt was installed in the location and tightened.

Have a good one!
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Mustang GT intermittent no start-fuel-pump-ground-1.jpg   2013 Mustang GT intermittent no start-fuel-pump-ground-2.jpg  
Old 2/18/14, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like your issue was pretty isolated to a production mistake. Ford is pretty good at fixing odd items like this.

Glad you got her fixed quickly. Things happen. I had mine in the first 1000 miles for front lower control arms and shields to fix the granny car squeaks when you ride over a speed bumps.

Go figure..... I have a 4/48k bumper to bumper and a 7/100k powertrain on her just incase