2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2013 Colt 305

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/12, 05:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsimmons
That's how I built mine. I was given divine dispensation to spend $32k, so I started with a base V6, and added $12k worth of mods (so far, and I'm not done).
Should you ever decide to sell the car with these mods intact, how much do you think the car will get on trade? I'm guessing the mods will be ignored, so you and all of us that do the same will only see V6 trade in values.

I don't mod a vehicle in hopes of seeing trade in value increases; I do it for my own self satisfaction.
Old 7/2/12, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
Should you ever decide to sell the car with these mods intact, how much do you think the car will get on trade? I'm guessing the mods will be ignored, so you and all of us that do the same will only see V6 trade in values.

I don't mod a vehicle in hopes of seeing trade in value increases; I do it for my own self satisfaction.
I have no illusions that the car would command what it's actually worth in trade-in value, mostly because NOBODY ever gets what their car is worth if used as a trade-in. Besides, I often drive my cars well beyond their implied "use-by" dates. If one day I decide to get a different car, and selling my Mustang was the only way to acquire said new car, it would be sold privately in order to maximize the (admittedly limited) return on investment. I have no time or desire to replace mods with OEM parts.

Before I even bought the car, I had a very clear vision in my head of what I wanted it to look like, and I performed a sort of modding/financial death march toward that goal. Had I bought a V8, it would probably take a couple of years to get where I'm at right now.
Old 7/2/12, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
LOL iMovie presents? Apple's getting into the Mustang performance conversion market now too?

I like it but I would cut out the lettering. Would rather have the blank space and a Ford racing axleback than a stock Premium V6.
I would never use the word "Colt" on a Mustang. Besides that, the font they use on the lettering is lame.
Old 7/2/12, 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
And since it was done by a dealer, there's no worry of any warranty issues with these mods. Another "plus" to some folks.

For those folks that have cheap labor costs (your own) and skills to do your own mods, you can side step this dealerships offering. For those that do not, this is a good option for them. I see nothing wrong with a dealership offering a special package of their own.

I'm old enough to remember a dealership doing this in the late 60's or very early 70's...The name Yenko ring a bell?
What mods? They added stripes and some lame badging on a V6 with the Performance Package? And the Yenko Camaros were in a completely different league than the run-of-the-mill Camaros. They came with options that weren't available if you went by Chevrolet's options sheet. Now, if Berge took a Mustang, and, say, added a Ford Racing crate motor with forged internals, and lowered the car, and install more capable suspension parts, you could rightly compare the Colt 305 to the ideals behind a Yenko. In today's automotive climate, Ford would never allow something like that to happen at the dealer level because it would dilute the sales of the Boss 302 and the Shelby. And ain't that a cryin' shame?
Old 7/2/12, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its cool that the dealer is trying to give some mods as a package to some. This would be a great feature IMO to other type of cars. The reason there is so much love for the Mustang is the amount of aftermarket parts that enable all owners to make the car their own. My last Mustang I was able to do a lot of bolt-on's in the years I owned it without hurting my wallet to much. Again a cool idea for the 1st time Mustang buyer but I can't see this appealing to a seasoned Mustang owner.
Old 7/2/12, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mods I'll guess have different meanings to different folks. To me, a "mod" is not nessesarilly a performance/engine change, but rather a change in the stock offering.

Again, I don't agree nor disagree with what the colt is, but it's simply another offering of the Mustang. I'm all for the Mustang getting sold to the tune of different mods/changes/engine tweeks. I for one would think the sport would quickly "stale" if all of us agreed that the word mod meant only to change the performance of a vehicle.
I also agree that modifications are not looked at as value added per say. I certainly do not expect to get anything out of a mod I do. I have an F150 that I also drive. It currently has over 115K, and with no plans to ever trade it/sell it, I certainly do not expect any extra value to the mods/changes I have done to personalize it to my tast.
Old 7/2/12, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard both sides where people feel if you mod your car you will get less on the retail market because they were your taste in Mods (Mod=Visual as well as performance) in my book. However when it came time to sell my 2006 I feel my tastefull mods help project the price of the car to what i actually sold it for. I do know the the person I sold my 06 to told me he was not changing a thing even to the point when I turned in my vanity plate he wanted to be notified so he could get the same plate. However the reason to Mod a Mustang is IMO to make it unique to every other Mustang on the road. With the purchase of my New Mustang I know I will be continuing my mod bug and making this one also one of a kind. This Dealer mod is to make all the Colt 305's the same except the color so in itself is not unique.

Last edited by GreenCars; 7/2/12 at 10:02 AM.