Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013-14 GTs with Select Shift AT. Feelings?

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/13, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013-14 GTs with Select Shift AT. Feelings?

Hello Mustang friends!

I love the fun of a clutch and a manual transmission. I have owned manuals for over 15 years. However, I drive a lot of city streets and I am quite frankly tired of shifting. I don't take my Mustang to the track or anything like that.

So, I am very interested in the Select Shift Auto that Ford is putting in the 2013+ Mustangs. I recently test drove a 2013GT with Select Shift Automatic Transmission. I like it a lot and am very tempted to trade.

I would love to hear the opinions from those who own this model and what they think of it now that they have driven it for a while.

Are you using the select shift feature as much as you thought? Does it shift fast enough for you?

I would appreciate all you opinions! Cheers!

Luke
Old 3/4/13, 04:52 PM

I've had mine since June 2012, and I have to admit, that feature is lame, if not unnecessary. With the tune, and or sport shift option, there is no need to manually shift with that select shift, since even when using it it still has an insane delay to input response. With a tune, and sport mode, you will forget that it is even there. If anything I might use it once in a blue moon, to keep a lower gear selected so I can extend the exhaust note.
Old 3/5/13, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
I've had mine since June 2012, and I have to admit, that feature is lame, if not unnecessary. With the tune, and or sport shift option, there is no need to manually shift with that select shift, since even when using it it still has an insane delay to input response. With a tune, and sport mode, you will forget that it is even there. If anything I might use it once in a blue moon, to keep a lower gear selected so I can extend the exhaust note.
I noticed that delay in the input response when I took my test drive. My GF has a Mazda 6 with a select shift option and it is pretty lame. Especially when it is a 4 banger.

Overall, do you like the having an auto instead of a manual?
Old 3/5/13, 04:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I just got my 2014 and I am delighted to be able to shift when I want to and not HAVE to any other time. I plan to autocross mine, and being able to keep it in second gear will be an advantage. I did find on a test drive of another Mustang with SelectShift that if I lifted my foot just as I shifted it seemed to shift quicker. I'm selling an S2000 to make space for the Mustang and am glad I got the auto.
Old 3/5/13, 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

I've been a manual guy my whole life. With the problems of the MT82, I sold my soul to the devil and went with the 6R80. I have never looked back! I tuned the car at 1,000 miles and now have 17,300. The transmission is bulletproof and is a blast to drive. My car will beat a manual 9/10 times with the same mods. The new Automatics are great. The select shift feature wouldn't be taken into consideration for me just the quality and consistency of the 6R80 itself.
Old 3/7/13, 05:03 PM

I appreciate the advice guys!

I'm glad to hear that people a preferring automatics and are happy with their choice. The automatic has come a long way. And from what you all are saying, that with the proper tune a person can have just as much fun as a manual.

Last July I rented a 2011 Mustang V6 (they were out of Taurus's)! Lucky me the mustang with auto hooked my interest. I could instantly tell that it wasn't like old ATs it shifted smooth and I could hardly notice when it did. Just hit the gas and go!

Now I am going to have to do some more test drives at the dealers and figure out how much money I want to spend!

Thanks again!
Old 3/7/13, 05:14 PM

I also did not know about the MT82 problems until you mentioned it 2012GT. Thanks for the heads up on that. I think I've sealed my decision that if I am going to trade, it will be for an automatic.
Old 3/7/13, 06:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

I went from a 2012 Boss with MT82 and clutch issues to my present 2013 GT with the Select Shift A6. I've had my 2013 for about 4 months now and don't miss the Boss at all! Sure there's a slight delay when manually shifting in Sport mode, but you can anticipate it, so it's not a problem. The coolest feature to me is how it automatically blips the throttle when downshifting to allow rev matching, making this auto much better for road racing. Plus you have complete control of all 6 gears!
Old 3/7/13, 07:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Moxie
I also did not know about the MT82 problems until you mentioned it 2012GT. Thanks for the heads up on that. I think I've sealed my decision that if I am going to trade, it will be for an automatic.
The "problems" with the MT82 are overblown and exacerbated by seeing a few people on this site with problems and assuming that Is representative of the tens of thousands made in the last two tears. It's not perfect, no, but if you like driving manuals don't let these few problems discourage you. It's also worlds better than any pre-2005 Mustang manual shifter.
Old 3/7/13, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2012GT
I've been a manual guy my whole life. With the problems of the MT82, I sold my soul to the devil and went with the 6R80. I have never looked back! I tuned the car at 1,000 miles and now have 17,300. The transmission is bulletproof and is a blast to drive. My car will beat a manual 9/10 times with the same mods. The new Automatics are great. The select shift feature wouldn't be taken into consideration for me just the quality and consistency of the 6R80 itself.
I've only got around 1500 mi on my '13 GT/CS. I've got auto and am interested in knowing what constitutes the "tune" you're talking about.

Tks

Bob
Old 3/8/13, 05:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mulepick

I've only got around 1500 mi on my '13 GT/CS. I've got auto and am interested in knowing what constitutes the "tune" you're talking about.

Tks

Bob
Hey Bob, Congrats on your new beast. I have the Steeda 93 octane tune with their CAI. It turns the car into a completely different animal. Give them a call and talk to Gus. If you don't have 93 octane in your area, they can tune it for 91 or even 87 octane. I have the 93 tune and 87 tune loaded on my programmer. They put the 87 in the programmer because if I'm off somewhere in a pinch(vacation or whatever) and 93 octane is not available. I can load the 87 tune and not worry about hurting the car running 87 gasoline. My mileage actually increased as well when I drive it "normal' with my tune. I have ran the 93 tune since day one without a hiccup.
Old 3/8/13, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Bob, Congrats on your new beast. I have the Steeda 93 octane tune with their CAI. It turns the car into a completely different animal. Give them a call and talk to Gus. If you don't have 93 octane in your area, they can tune it for 91 or even 87 octane. I have the 93 tune and 87 tune loaded on my programmer. They put the 87 in the programmer because if I'm off somewhere in a pinch(vacation or whatever) and 93 octane is not available. I can load the 87 tune and not worry about hurting the car running 87 gasoline. My mileage actually increased as well when I drive it "normal' with my tune. I have ran the 93 tune since day one without a hiccup.

What kind of mileage are you getting with the Auto. I currently have the MT82 and 3.31 gears and with 3500 miles I am averaging close to 23mpg driving normal and refraining from full throttle blasts. Especially interested in highway mpg.
Old 3/8/13, 11:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1992chpb4c

What kind of mileage are you getting with the Auto. I currently have the MT82 and 3.31 gears and with 3500 miles I am averaging close to 23mpg driving normal and refraining from full throttle blasts. Especially interested in highway mpg.
26+ hwy-- 22/23 city. Don't get me wrong, spirited driving will net me sub 20 mpg but I rarely do that.

Last edited by 2012GT; 3/8/13 at 11:48 AM.
Old 3/8/13, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

26+ hwy-- 22/23 city. Don't get me wrong, spirited driving will net me sub 20 mpg but I rarely do that.
Oh yea, couple redlines a day and I am at 18-19 before I know it, lol. Just curious, my A6 is due 3/22. Cant wait, getting tired of shifting all of the time since it is my daily driver.
Old 3/8/13, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

I went to visit a friend today and drove surface streets most of the way. Much of the drive was on twisty two lane roads with 35-40 MPH limits. There are some short but fairly steep uphills along the way. When I got to one of those I would switch from Drive to Sport and SelectShift into third for the uphill section, then back into Drive at the top. I really like the flexibility.
Old 3/9/13, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
I went to visit a friend today and drove surface streets most of the way. Much of the drive was on twisty two lane roads with 35-40 MPH limits. There are some short but fairly steep uphills along the way. When I got to one of those I would switch from Drive to Sport and SelectShift into third for the uphill section, then back into Drive at the top. I really like the flexibility.
This is what select shift is for not trying to net your best times through the quarter mile. The A6 will do that for you (smoking the 1/4 mile).
Old 3/9/13, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

I failed to mention that not HAVING to shift the rest of the time made it possible for me to just enjoy the drive in my new Mustang - the ride, the handling, the sounds, and answer a couple of phone calls through Sync while ignoring the transmission. Great job, Ford!!
Old 3/9/13, 11:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Our GT (really the Wifey's) has the auto w/select shift. At first the tranny didn't shift quick enough to make the s/s much fun. However as the car built up a few miles the tranny became more responsive, so the s/s was more gooder. However, it is very seldom used by me, and never used by the Wifey.
Old 3/9/13, 02:54 PM

Just drove a 2012GT with the A6. It was raining today so I really couldn't hook up. I think the ATs could use a lower gear rear end. I don't know. I got some thinking to do.
Old 3/10/13, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DJ Moxie
Just drove a 2012GT with the A6. It was raining today so I really couldn't hook up. I think the ATs could use a lower gear rear end. I don't know. I got some thinking to do.
Stomp it in first or second gear. As you said, it was raining. It's geared extremely low. The rear end has no effect on the extreme low 1/2 gears or the 6r80. It's geared plenty low enough with the 3.15s.

Quick Reply: 2013-14 GTs with Select Shift AT. Feelings?