2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2012 Lava Red question and such

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/11, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Lava Red question and such

Been coming here for a while and lurking for a long time (probably since the 2005 intro). Never had a mustang but always wanted one. Well, the time has come to get one, and I'm very close to placing an order. Have a few questions to ask before I do though.

I have my heart set on a premium gt, stick, 401a, 3.73 and comfort package. To my shock they have discontinued sterling grey, of course the color I wanted. Lava red, kona blue, and black looks what I will have to settle for. Leaning towards lava red but can't find any good pics. There are none that I could find in the greater Chicago area to see in person. Anyone have any good pics or impressions that they could give. Google images has failed me in that respect.

Also, for anyone who lives in the Chicago area, what is a good ford dealer to order from? Been dealing with a nice guy at Willowbrook ford but trade value for my 01 LS is lower than I would like.

Any info is appreciated. This forum has given me already given me a wealth of knowledge, even as a lurker.
Old 3/23/11, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I just got to see LR first hand at my local dealer. To be honest, I'm kinda disappointed. It is pretty much black with some super dark red metallic red flake. The first time I saw their car, it was dark but the lot's lights were still on. I walked right past it thinking it was black. I only stopped to turn take a second glance because it had the new optional twin 7-spoke wheels so I knew it was a 2012. Then I saw the flake in the paint. It's too dark for me. I can see people who like Tuxedo Black appreciating it, but I think I'm liking Kona Blue more and more lately.

That said, I think I would still buy a Lava Red car, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I've been messing around on the B&P site and I think Lava would look really good paired with the new Stone interior and Glass Roof!
Old 3/23/11, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I ordered one,,here is the link to some pics I took in bright sun,,it is the only way the color realy jumps out,,hope it helps!
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...vert-pics.html
Old 3/23/11, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm also disappointed...love my tungsten grey.

Have you checked out the silver?
Old 3/23/11, 10:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lava Red looks very dark brown or plum, but mostly black unless the sun is right on it. Every customer that sees our Lava Red '12 GT on our lot swears it's black.
Old 3/23/11, 11:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I would have been happier with the Explorer's Golden Bronze and Bordeaux Reserve as options. I don't see a point for Lava Red, unless they lightened it up a bit so that it actually looks like lava rock. I would love to see Golden Bronze on a 2010+ with Glass Roof and Saddle! Bordeaux Reserve would also look good with Saddle or Stone, and I think the Edge's Mediterranean Blue would look awesome with Stone and Glass Roof!
Old 3/23/11, 11:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 600 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Been coming here for a while and lurking for a long time (probably since the 2005 intro). Never had a mustang but always wanted one. Well, the time has come to get one, and I'm very close to placing an order. Have a few questions to ask before I do though.

I have my heart set on a premium gt, stick, 401a, 3.73 and comfort package. To my shock they have discontinued sterling grey, of course the color I wanted. Lava red, kona blue, and black looks what I will have to settle for. Leaning towards lava red but can't find any good pics. There are none that I could find in the greater Chicago area to see in person. Anyone have any good pics or impressions that they could give. Google images has failed me in that respect.

Also, for anyone who lives in the Chicago area, what is a good ford dealer to order from? Been dealing with a nice guy at Willowbrook ford but trade value for my 01 LS is lower than I would like.

Any info is appreciated. This forum has given me already given me a wealth of knowledge, even as a lurker.

Chris Corkill on here (screen name Knight) works at a dealer somewhere near Chicago. He's a true Mustang guy, and seems like a good dude.

Here's his profile on here

https://themustangsource.com/members/knight-90532/

And here is his site for Mustang sales...

http://www.mustanghideout.com/

Old 3/24/11, 07:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Any Lava Red on Saddle pics? I saw a 911 in a very similar color combo and it looks great.
Old 3/24/11, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the link to the pics. My biggest concern is I don't want it to look plum, eggplant, anything purple in color so this color may not be for me. Easiest solution would be able to see it in person, but that doesn't seem to be possible at this point.

@Rather BB, thanks for the info regarding Knight. I will see where he works and if it's easy to get to from where I live.
Old 3/24/11, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Some people say Kona Blue has a purple tinge too...like I said, unless light hits it, Lava Red looks straight black.
Old 3/25/11, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I saw it in person and I did not think it looked purple,plum,eggplant at all. It looks burgandy in bright sunlight but at angles you can see it change looks. Lava looked black at night or cloudy conditions. I wanted black but went with lava,,i am happy that it has different looks. In pics though I could see how it looks plum but in person it did not at all. My 2c.
Old 3/25/11, 09:55 PM
V6 Member

I have not seen the color in person yet, but my dealer ordered one for me, with first right for refusal, it is suppose to be here week of April 11. I went to the ford.com site and pulled up the color on the mustang page. I like the way it looks when you rotate the car and the sun hits it, BUT seeing it in person is the only way I'll be able to tell, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I just hope it is what I am hoping for.. in less than 3 weeks I will know.
Old 3/27/11, 05:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Found this on YouTube , it's a 15 minute walkthrough of a 2012 lava red v6 premium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An-l5...e_gdata_player
Old 3/28/11, 04:55 PM
V6 Member

thanks for posting the link to the video. I still have to see the color in person, but the video made it look like black cherry to me especially when the sun hit it, and that is exactly what I want, delivery is suppose to be week of April 11th, won't be long now!
Old 3/28/11, 06:03 PM

I am also taking the plunge buying my first mustang- also thinking lava red. I think they have one at Hawk Ford in Oak Lawn. It is a v-6, you might want to check out the GT in Des Moines in Lava if you don't want to wait. I missed out on a v-6 in Indiana - sold on Saturday