2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2012 Boss

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/09 | 02:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Clino
You know what, lets just forget the Boss and have an LX special edition in honour of the original 5.0! I hope Ford still has some of the 15" 10 hole wheels laying around! haha

BTW, just for the record, I loooove the 2010 rear! It is one of my favorite parts of the new design. It is light years ahead of the 05-09 rear which is looks like someone just gave a 5 yar old a ruler and a box of crayons and told them to copy the 65/66 rear.
You can say that about the '10's rear also. The difference is they gave a 5 yr old Japanese kid a box of crayons and told them to copy the '68.
Old 9/18/09 | 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
You can say that about the '10's rear also. The difference is they gave a 5 yr old Japanese kid a box of crayons and told them to copy the '68.
That could be true. Seeing what the 5-year-old American did, it was a wise decision!
Old 9/18/09 | 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Clino
It is light years ahead of the 05-09 rear which is looks like someone just gave a 5 yar old a ruler and a box of crayons and told them to copy the 65/66 rear.
This is not only true, it is one of the funniest things I've seen on this forum in quite a while. I'm tempted to put it in my sig!
Old 9/18/09 | 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, and be my guest...typing mistakes and all!

I just find that it is (mostly) the 05-09 owners that are hating on the 2010. Don't get me wrong, the 05-09 is a great design, but coming from a more objective position having only owned pre S197 Mustangs, I can honestly say that I think the 2010 is by FAR the better design from every angle.

Aaaaanyways, back to the topic...
Old 9/20/09 | 12:41 AM
V6 Member

Anyone know/think if 2005-2009 suspension parts fit the 2011+ mustang? Or is it too early to be asking such questions?

thanks
Old 9/20/09 | 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kingpin2B
Anyone know/think if 2005-2009 suspension parts fit the 2011+ mustang? Or is it too early to be asking such questions?

thanks

Too early. My guess is yes they'll work. There might be some unique front suspension parts thanks to the new v6 and v8 motors.
Old 9/30/09 | 12:44 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Coyote will have a fair share of tricks up its sleeves.
No DI needed
Given Brad's post in the GT500 section (the Twin Turbo Coyote is dead).......is/was this the Road Runner engine or is Road Runner a further development of the n/a Coyote, destined for the 2012 Boss?

C'mon Boomer, spread a little more of your insights
Old 9/30/09 | 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Given Brad's post in the GT500 section (the Twin Turbo Coyote is dead).......is/was this the Road Runner engine or is Road Runner a further development of the n/a Coyote, destined for the 2012 Boss?

C'mon Boomer, spread a little more of your insights
That would stand to reason. Based on available information, my fearless prediction for Mustang powerplants would be:

3.7L DOHC V6 @ 315hp (Base)
5.0L DOHC V8 @ 400hp (GT)
5.0L DOHC V8 @ 450hp (BOSS)
5.4L Supercharged 5.4 DOHC V8 @ 550hp (Shelby)

I would also imagine we'll see an Ecoboost V6 SE at some point.

Boomer, how close would you say I am?
Old 9/30/09 | 11:43 PM
GT Member

Boss

I don't care what Ford Puts in a Boss.As long as thay park one in my DRIVE
Old 9/30/09 | 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by kd4gij
I don't care what Ford Puts in a Boss.As long as thay park one in my DRIVE
Thats going to be up to you!! What color sir???
Old 10/1/09 | 08:45 AM
V6 Member

I posted on this subject before the crash a while back .. I'm not sure my comments were taken so well by some, but after all, its just an opinion.

If Ford does the Boss .. and they do it as a tribute to the original .. we have to remember what the original was - it was the street version of a SCCA Trans Am racer (closer to the Grand-Am KONI Challenge Series presently) that was produced for the sole purpose of SCCA production homologation. It was a stealth performer off the showroom floor and for good reason. It was loaded with many of the same upgrades that were needed to race in the Trans Am series. Look at the article below for all the upgrades Ford did in 1969:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1969-1...d-mustang4.htm

My point being, Ford doesn't need to produce such a car these days. They are not needing to produce a street version of a road race vehicle.
In that respect I think it will be a tribute to what the street version Boss 302 used to be. A representation of what it was at the time without all the beef.

The next question is whether Ford will stay with tradition or go after the present market. The Boss 302 was not a great street fighter. Yes, it held its own against the small block crowd, but its huge valves and high RPM's were made for Mid Ohio, not Summit Motorsports Park. It was rather docile and sluggish in the lower RPM range.

We all know what happened with the overpriced Saleen/PJ Edition. They sat on dealers lots collecting dust while the Shelby GT500 ran off with the show and buyers cash.
http://www.saleen.com/saleen-parnellijones.htm
They had classic looks, good power, but popular with the older crowd that wanted to re-live 1969-70 or buy what they thought would be a collector.

What should Ford do here?

I say, stay with tradition. Lets revisit 1969 again with a matte black hood and headlight scoops, Boss stripes, better brakes, 6 speed, lowered suspension with upgrades. 3.73 rear axle and around 430 HP. (I still think the new 5.0 DOHC will be rated at 390 HP)

Unfortunately, I get the feeling this will be another special edition package .. a few noticable exterior differences and some subtle performance upgrades over the GT with a $4000 price tag. And no, I'm not trying to offend any Bullitt owners out there. They are a nice upgrade over the GT .. just not for me. I want the Boss to be a stand alone model, not a package. If its a package, you know **** well, it will only be available as a premium GT upgrade.
Just my opinion, so take it for what its worth.
Old 10/1/09 | 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

i think they will be making a lot of SE's from packages instead of one-off's because of the economy and the ability to plug and play many of the parts from one to the other. why create something totally different costing millions when they could just add some aftermarket products for thousands and charge the customer for this? you have to think like ford. im sure this latter route would be their stance since they are still in the economic downturn. although i agree 100% with your thoughts on an exclusive SE not based from a premium GT. if i could afford it when it comes out i will think about buying one. just my thoughts
Old 10/1/09 | 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by saleen367

We all know what happened with the overpriced Saleen/PJ Edition. They sat on dealers lots collecting dust while the Shelby GT500 ran off with the show and buyers cash.
They had classic looks, good power, but popular with the older crowd that wanted to re-live 1969-70 or buy what they thought would be a collector.
we sold all ~ 7 we had

let's be realistic here. A Ford Boss will be ~$20k cheaper than the PJ
Old 10/1/09 | 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk
That would stand to reason. Based on available information, my fearless prediction for Mustang powerplants would be:

3.7L DOHC V6 @ 315hp (Base)
5.0L DOHC V8 @ 400hp (GT)
5.0L DOHC V8 @ 450hp (BOSS)
5.4L Supercharged 5.4 DOHC V8 @ 550hp (Shelby)

I would also imagine we'll see an Ecoboost V6 SE at some point.

Boomer, how close would you say I am?
My take take on this:

3.7L V6 250hp (Base)
4.6L V8 315hp (GT)
5.0L V8 400hp (BOSS)
5.4L Supercharger V8 550hp (Shelby)
Old 10/1/09 | 03:00 PM
V6 Member

PACETTR,
Nothing wrong with the PJ Saleen .. I loved em cuz they were very unique. However the local Saleen dealer finally moved his last of 5 last fall.
Think about it though .. how much different will the Ford version be from the PJ besides $20k? Thats the question I ask. I would hope, not a lot. I just cannot believe Ford will do it right for far less money.
Old 10/1/09 | 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I posted on this subject before the crash a while back .. I'm not sure my comments were taken so well by some, but after all, its just an opinion.

If Ford does the Boss .. and they do it as a tribute to the original .. we have to remember what the original was - it was the street version of a SCCA Trans Am racer (closer to the Grand-Am KONI Challenge Series presently) that was produced for the sole purpose of SCCA production homologation. It was a stealth performer off the showroom floor and for good reason. It was loaded with many of the same upgrades that were needed to race in the Trans Am series. Look at the article below for all the upgrades Ford did in 1969:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1969-1...d-mustang4.htm

My point being, Ford doesn't need to produce such a car these days. They are not needing to produce a street version of a road race vehicle.
In that respect I think it will be a tribute to what the street version Boss 302 used to be. A representation of what it was at the time without all the beef.

The next question is whether Ford will stay with tradition or go after the present market. The Boss 302 was not a great street fighter. Yes, it held its own against the small block crowd, but its huge valves and high RPM's were made for Mid Ohio, not Summit Motorsports Park. It was rather docile and sluggish in the lower RPM range.

What should Ford do here?

I say, stay with tradition. Lets revisit 1969 again with a matte black hood and headlight scoops, Boss stripes, better brakes, 6 speed, lowered suspension with upgrades. 3.73 rear axle and around 430 HP. (I still think the new 5.0 DOHC will be rated at 390 HP)

Unfortunately, I get the feeling this will be another special edition package .. a few noticable exterior differences and some subtle performance upgrades over the GT with a $4000 price tag. And no, I'm not trying to offend any Bullitt owners out there. They are a nice upgrade over the GT .. just not for me. I want the Boss to be a stand alone model, not a package. If its a package, you know **** well, it will only be available as a premium GT upgrade.
Just my opinion, so take it for what its worth.
You make some really good points.

We will never see the equivalent of what the Boss was in 69/70. If you want that, you basically need to buy a FR500. Of course that will run you a casual $125,000.

Seeing as what Ford has done with the Raptor though, I think we will see something more than simply a premium GT with a few Ford Racing parts thrown at it. I think it will be far more purpose built.

I have a good feeling about the Boss, however I don't think it's going to come cheap. I think Ford has realized that the older generation has a great deal of expendable income AND nostalgia for the classic Mustangs. I am betting this means we are going to see a lot more premium models that are inspired by classic models (ie: Shelby GT500 rather than just calling it an SVT Cobra).

I mean let's face it, unless you're a drug dealer or have won the lottery, almost no one under the age of 40 can realistically afford a GT500. That's why they have basically slapped nostalgia invoking Shelby lettering on an SVT Cobra...because Ford is smart enough to know who is buying their premium models. Older people who couldn't afford the car the first time around and now have a healthy retirement fund burning a hole in their pocket, not their kids who grew up on LX 5.0's and SVT's.

The return of the 5.0, or a potential Ecoboost will be for the younger generation. Ford will not waste the Boss name on a simple add on package. They will be make sure to take full advantage of the demographic (and their fat wallets) that will be most drawn by the name.
Old 10/3/09 | 01:40 AM
Cobra Member

.. we have to remember what the original was - it was the street version of a SCCA Trans Am racer
Did you forget about the Boss 429 with the Nascar engine?
http://www.bossperformance.com/history.htm

The "Boss" name was for more than just the Boss 302, and therefore I don't think it should be limited to mimicking the Boss 302.

The simple fact is the Boss name pulls at the heart strings of Mustangers (even those that weren't around for the originals) and it is a smart marketing move to bring it back in any form.

BTW, I heard rumors (which I don't really believe, but would like to ) that there might be an AL version of the Raptor 6.2 motor for the Boss. So, the line up could be : 400hp 5L GT, 450hp+ 6.2L Boss, 550hp+ FI GT500.
Old 10/3/09 | 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Ford might not need to produce a Boss 302 BUT there are plenty of Mustangers who WANT them to - Ford will be able to sell every single Boss they produce. I'm waiting patiently, I wasn't around for the first Boss 'Stangs, I'm not going to miss out the second time.

My request for Ford is not to diminish the Boss legacy - a new Boss Mustang doesn't have to replicate the original to the letter it just needs to uphold the legacy of performance. A new Boss can't be just a tape and stripe package, there needs to be really street performance. The Boss platform would be the perfect place to produce a Hi-Po Mustang with great brakes and outstanding handling. There are plenty of Mustang owners who enjoy wheeling their Mustangs on a a road course or down their favorite stretch of two lane - not just blasting down a quarter mile or to the next stop light.
Old 10/3/09 | 07:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Rampant
Did you forget about the Boss 429 with the Nascar engine?
http://www.bossperformance.com/history.htm

The "Boss" name was for more than just the Boss 302, and therefore I don't think it should be limited to mimicking the Boss 302.

BTW, I heard rumors (which I don't really believe, but would like to ) that there might be an AL version of the Raptor 6.2 motor for the Boss. So, the line up could be : 400hp 5L GT, 450hp+ 6.2L Boss, 550hp+ FI GT500.
Forget? Ah, no .. but seriously Rampant .. what makes you think Ford is going to stuff 429 cubic inches into the 2012 Mustang? I referred to the Boss 302 since the next generation Coyote engine will be 302 cu in .. and no offense, but the Boss 429 while as incredible as they were in the day, were so rare, that you never saw one in the streets. Think about it .. only 1359 were produced .. and they were the highest priced Mustang outside Shelby that you could buy. The CJ Mach I was much more visible and ran about the same 1/4 mile times and speed for far less money. The signature of the Boss 429 was the engine .. that cannot be the case with the 2012 Boss unless Ford is willing to take market share away from the Shelby GT500 and I don't foresee that happening.

Originally Posted by Rampant
The simple fact is the Boss name pulls at the heart strings of Mustangers (even those that weren't around for the originals) and it is a smart marketing move to bring it back in any form.
Any form? Do you remember the 1976 Cobra II?
Old 10/3/09 | 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

The return of the 5.0, or a potential Ecoboost will be for the younger generation. Ford will not waste the Boss name on a simple add on package. They will be make sure to take full advantage of the demographic (and their fat wallets) that will be most drawn by the name.
Agree. The originals were not "kid cars". What was the base $ on a '69-'70 Boss 302? $4k? And a base car was around $2500. That would make it a little south of Gt500 territory now. Close to $40k

Then Dodge needs a Challenger T/A and Chevy the Z28 and it's 1970 all over again.

As for the pics of the White '10 at the beginning of the thread. I could live with that rendition. That is a sharp car.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss