2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2012 Boss

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/09 | 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BigRed
Watts link?
Yes! I think this would be killer necessity- just like Bud Moore used on those Trans Am racers. Wipe the smerk right off those BMW M3 owners.
Old 9/10/09 | 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks:

Shaker Hood Scoop
Flat black cowl
Hood pins
Painted mutten chops
Flat black pedestal spoiler
Magnum 500 wheels. Stagger them 19" front 20" rear. Deep dish.
'69 style side stripes.
Calypso Coral and Grabber Orange colors optional.

Performance:

420ish HP.
Raise Redline.
GT500 Brembos
Upgraded suspension.
Watts link rear.
Short throw shifter
Old 9/10/09 | 06:16 PM
Cobra Member

I like your suggestions Rhumb. My wish list:
  • 450 HP minimum with 7K redline
  • 6 spd close ratio manual trans with optional billet shift
  • GT500 style brake package; 14" front disc minimum
  • 3.73 rear end ratio
  • 18" Wheels Stock; 19"'s optional
  • Shaker and Stripe Package optional for those who don't want the "retro" look
  • Unique suspension tuning for aggressive handling
  • Watts link rear suspension standard, IRS optional
  • Unique front fascia w/CDC style front spoiler similar to GT500 but more aggressive
  • Rear pedestal or ducktail spoiler
  • Recaro style cloth seats
  • Reduction in creature comfort options to save weight - no Nav system, etc. Use of lightweight materials where possible
  • Price point between GT and GT500
Old 9/10/09 | 07:05 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by rhumb
My wish list:

450hp DI 5.0 (with a nice crackling 12:1 CR for a motor that really snaps forward) with a 7.5K redline (make her a screamer like the original)
DCT, or at least the GT500's 6 cogger for a slightly more reality-based option
3.73 rear end
Borla exhaust

Chassis:
Uprated springs, shocks, bushings and geometry.
IRS in the rear, or at least a lot of lightened (AL, CF, MAG) compenents to try to rid the live axle of all that dead (unsprung) weight -- and a Watts linkage.
Lightweight wheels (see aforementioned unsprung weight comment)
Brembos all around.

Body:
Very purposeful and serious, reflecting its grown-up's performance machine character.
GT500'esque bodywork
Keep it purposeful and functional -- no goofy scoops, slats, wings or whatever (make them optional if at all).
Very modern and updated interpretations of identifying badging and stickers -- stay away from being too retro as seems to be the habit of late.

Interior:
Very purposeful and functional -- this is a serious grown-up's performance machine
Recaro seats
Real visible fonts in the instrumentation.
Alloy pedals

Price: $35K max (has to stay competitive with the Camaro, which has a lot of this stuff, specs already at $30K)
Hmmm, what if you got, oh I don't know, let's say 12.5:1 compression without the implementation of DI? Would you still be happy, then?
Old 9/11/09 | 12:41 AM
FR500 Member

#1 - I want it to be built. #2 - Keep it light(er) and simple(r). If drivers want to be coddled with gadgets and convenience options, stick with a Premium GT. Any options available would be concentrated on making the car go faster and stop sooner. #3 - Make it look more like the '69 Boss 302 - 4 lights in front, no shaker hood scoop. In fact no scoops, vents, or louvers unless they help cool the brakes and aid in getting air out from under the hood or body. #4 - Suspension and brakes that are track-worthy because its original namesake was built for that purpose. #5 - Keep prices in check. Price it below the GT500 and perhaps a bit more than a fully-optioned Premium GT coupe. Build as many as people want for 1 or 2 model years, tops.
Old 9/11/09 | 12:42 AM
V6 Member

My wish list:

1. Recaro seats w/ manual adjustment
2. Brakes (14"), Castrol SRF (or similar) brake fluid, stainless braided lines
3. 18" or 19" wheels with max performance summer tires
4. Fully defeatable traction control
5. Road course-biased suspension and handling (struts, springs, antiroll bars, etc.)
6. Optional radio equipment delete
7. Battery located in trunk
8. Upgraded radiator
9. Short-throw manual transmission only (and no convertible version!)
10. Curb weight < 3,400 lbs

Is that so much to ask?

Last edited by LateralG; 9/11/09 at 12:45 AM.
Old 9/11/09 | 02:27 AM

For those asking for watts-link, a good adjustable panhard is much cheaper and just as effective as a watts-link in the hands of your average driver, most do not even reach the limits of that. A watts-link would be over kill and not be cost effective. You also have to consider watt-links have to be built to high standards a cheap on breaks fast.
Old 9/11/09 | 04:40 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by MARZ
Hmmm, what if you got, oh I don't know, let's say 12.5:1 compression without the implementation of DI? Would you still be happy, then?
That's just crazy talk.
Back on your meds....
Old 9/11/09 | 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by ahddm
For those asking for watts-link, a good adjustable panhard is much cheaper and just as effective as a watts-link in the hands of your average driver, most do not even reach the limits of that. A watts-link would be over kill and not be cost effective. You also have to consider watt-links have to be built to high standards a cheap on breaks fast.
I see what you're saying, however a watts linkage has the advantage of being completely symmetrical, whereas the response from a panhard bar varies with the direction of the turn. Maybe it's just me, but I find it very unnerving.
Old 9/11/09 | 10:33 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by 07S197
Seriously??? I think you have to intergrate the old with the new. I would agree that if it had smaller wheels and a higher profile tire it would need RWL's but having the 20" rims to fill our the wells they are not needed. I don't know that RWL tires on a modern car would look right.
I think it has the potential to look pretty cool.

Not a stang but you get the idea
Old 9/11/09 | 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by MARZ
If they could do it without DI, and dialing way back on timing, cams, etc. to keep the motor from grenading. I would say Ford just ought to bite the bullet and do DI, its clearly an inevitable technology, so what better place to develop experience with it than on a Boss Stang.

PS Don't forget the efficiency and emissions benefits DI seems to reap.
Old 9/11/09 | 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

380-400HP

Shaker is a must

I think the FRPP Track & Handling Pack and something akin to the styling above but it's missing the chin spoiler, need that. And as FKA said above better brakes would certainly be necessary.
Old 9/11/09 | 11:08 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by Cowtown
380-400HP

Shaker is a must

I think the FRPP Track & Handling Pack and something akin to the styling above but it's missing the chin spoiler, need that. And as FKA said above better brakes would certainly be necessary.
The GT is rumored to have 400HP so I think the BOSS will have to be pushing 430+ to be worth it.
Old 9/11/09 | 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

If they could do it without DI, and dialing way back on timing, cams, etc. to keep the motor from grenading. I would say Ford just ought to bite the bullet and do DI, its clearly an inevitable technology, so what better place to develop experience with it than on a Boss Stang.

Rumor had it the efficiency/emissions benefits didn't overcome the per unit incremental cost of production increase DI would have brought to the table. Ford probably will pick up DI in the future, just not here and now. If I were to hazard a guess it would be if Ford's successful in bringing the benefits of Bobcat to the smaller displacement engine, you would see your wish there.

Ford didn't seem to have the luxury of long engineering and testing time with the new batch of 2011 engines so they probably went with the KISS methodology.
Old 9/11/09 | 11:19 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 07S197
The GT is rumored to have 400HP so I think the BOSS will have to be pushing 430+ to be worth it.
Like someone else said, I was hoping for 429 HP...

Significantly underrated, of course...

Last edited by Coupe66US; 9/11/09 at 11:20 AM. Reason: for the halibut.
Old 9/11/09 | 11:21 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Rumor had it the efficiency/emissions benefits didn't overcome the per unit incremental cost of production increase DI would have brought to the table.
If you add DI to a N/A engine you have to bump up compression to see gains. The bump in compression is where you really see the efficiency gains. DI primarily helps to cool the cylinder to allow the high compression without pre detonating.
Old 9/11/09 | 11:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Looks great the 69 Boss stripes looks great on the car.
Old 9/11/09 | 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought I remembered hearing at one point that the reason why Ford has never done a Boss Mustang is because of lisencing issues with the name. Doesn't Larry Shinoda own the name, or am I just making that up?
Old 9/11/09 | 05:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Clino
I thought I remembered hearing at one point that the reason why Ford has never done a Boss Mustang is because of lisencing issues with the name. Doesn't Larry Shinoda own the name, or am I just making that up?

I believe Shinoda owns the name "Boss Shinoda", not "Boss". But his heirs would argue that point; and if you give it enough time, someone from Shinoda will post their opinion...

Last edited by WaltM; 9/11/09 at 05:36 PM.
Old 9/11/09 | 10:51 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Devoid of FI.... IMO.... the added cost and complexity, as Dixie Flatline stated, outweigh the marginal benefits of DI on an N/A engine. Remember, this is Ford we're talking about. Compared to Jaguar, BMW, et al, their resources are very limited.

Personally, I'd be very happy with a 400 hp Mustang GT, with or without DI.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss