2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/11, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont have a 2011 but i hope if ABC is gonna run a piece it will encourage them to revisit the design with getrag if they have not already. story would sound alot better for ford if they were like "we are sorry, new design coming, replacing all with issues" instead of "we are looking into it and putting some different fluid in it in the meantime" curious if 2012 ppl are seeing this problem. i bet we will know more about what they are doing to address it when the job 2 2012s are released if there has been no big time fix before then. China built or not it looks like something in QC is screwed up pretty bad, apple stuff is made in china and of top notch quality alot depends on how much you lean on your suppliers, maybe ford should get foxconn to build the tranny.
Old 4/15/11, 04:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ford has got to come up with a permanent fix ASAP, mine is still notchy on the 1-2 shift, but i'm afraid it'll get worst with time.
Ford will be loosing loyal and potential buyers if they keep give us band-aid fixes like they've been doing since it's been brought up to their attention.
I mean having the shifter mounted on the body and not on the trans is asking for trouble! The torque of the V8 under hard acceleration must play havoc with the alignment. Also could explain why less V6 guys are having fewer issues.
Get your act together Ford and face the music. Their is a flaw in our 6M trannys and fix the darn thing will ya' !!!!

Last edited by montreal ponies; 4/15/11 at 04:09 PM.
Old 4/15/11, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
Ugh. I'm not going near one of these 2011 OR 2012 until someone figures this out. Surprise Surprise, more problems with Chinese made junk.
Those of you who think like this are missing out on a great car. Those with problems scream loud on these boards. Those with no issues don't speak up often. I have the new tranny and other than it being stiff in the cold (like every other manual I've ever driven) it is perfect.
Old 4/15/11, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh I'll get vocal about this, my transmission is perfectly fine and an absolute wonder to behold. My coworker who has done nothing but drive manuals all his life thinks its a great factory transmission. Corvette owners have driven this car and acknowledge that it shifts wonderfully. I can't tell you why, but I will let you know that not all transmissions suffer from this. There may be a good number that do, perhaps a bad batch or some poor manufacturing practices in China (big surprise), but I really don't have any troubles here, not even a rattle, and I tend to go to red line at least once every few days, when the weather allows.

So basically what Kona said. The more I look at it the more I think that in my case at least the stiff shifting in the cold is just to be expected, and really it hasn't proved to be an issue for me once I got used to it. This is my first manual so I didn't exactly know better.
Old 4/15/11, 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishAmericanMustang
Just found out that the shifter is mounted to the body and is semi-remote. It's not a direct-mounted shifter. This could be considered an iffy design choice, and might be the cause of some of the problems. Hoping (and confident!) that mine will be fine!
If I am not mistaken, it has not been a direct-mount shifter design since the 2005 model year.
Old 4/19/11, 07:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
subscribed

i have been noticing grinding shifts lately, and since this is my first manual i figured it was me

also sometimes its hard to get into reverse
Hard for me to get in reverse also!
Old 4/20/11, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lancel
Oh I'll get vocal about this, my transmission is perfectly fine and an absolute wonder to behold. My coworker who has done nothing but drive manuals all his life thinks its a great factory transmission. Corvette owners have driven this car and acknowledge that it shifts wonderfully. I can't tell you why, but I will let you know that not all transmissions suffer from this. There may be a good number that do, perhaps a bad batch or some poor manufacturing practices in China (big surprise), but I really don't have any troubles here, not even a rattle, and I tend to go to red line at least once every few days, when the weather allows.

So basically what Kona said. The more I look at it the more I think that in my case at least the stiff shifting in the cold is just to be expected, and really it hasn't proved to be an issue for me once I got used to it. This is my first manual so I didn't exactly know better.
Give it time lol
Old 4/20/11, 04:40 PM

I got the dual clutch fluid. was good for a month or so then went back to being a piece of s%#t!
Old 4/20/11, 06:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by dardi
I got the dual clutch fluid. was good for a month or so then went back to being a piece of s%#t!
Have you contacted Deysha from CS, she'll be able to escalate this for you.
Old 4/20/11, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
not yet just really busy with work, planning to contact ford customer service and my local dealer in a couple of days...taking a couple days off work. I have already talked to Deysha before i had my fluid replaced and she has opened a case for me, i will have to talk to her again i guess.
Old 4/20/11, 06:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Good luck with that, hope your dealership is comprehensive and helpful about this issue. So much the dealer can do about tranny problems without Ford's consent, and that's if they have a fix. Which they obviously don't for now. Let's hope it comes soon enough.
Old 4/20/11, 06:42 PM

Good luck with that, hope your dealership is comprehensive and helpful about this issue. So much the dealer can do about tranny problems without Ford's consent, and that's if they have a fix. Which they obviously don't for now. Let's hope it comes soon enough.
Thanks!

i hope so too!
Old 4/21/11, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cornezy
Hard for me to get in reverse also!
I have had the TSB done and the box was certainly better in the cold. However it too is getting worse on the shifts again and now has started every now and then to jump out of reverse whilst your moving backwards which it never did before..
Old 4/21/11, 08:42 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dardi
not yet just really busy with work, planning to contact ford customer service and my local dealer in a couple of days...taking a couple days off work. I have already talked to Deysha before i had my fluid replaced and she has opened a case for me, i will have to talk to her again i guess.
Hi dardi,

Once you make your appointment, make sure you contact Ford of Canada so they can re-open your case. If for some reason they do not re-open it, let me know.

Deysha
Old 4/21/11, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Jmatero, I will follow this thread considering am thinking of buying a Mustang. Thanks for sharing.
Old 4/21/11, 09:06 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made an appointment to have mine looked at Monday morning. I have occasional issues shifting from 1-2, but it has been good for the majority of the time. Job 2 2011, 9500 miles on it.
Old 4/21/11, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Junk

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
Ugh. I'm not going near one of these 2011 OR 2012 until someone figures this out. Surprise Surprise, more problems with Chinese made junk.
+10 on this.
Old 4/21/11, 09:39 AM
GTR Member

Are you the same guy who buys nothing but "Made in the US" products every where you go?

Let's face it, you can blame it on the fact it's made in China, or you can open your eyes and look at the big picture of todays global economy. If it wasn't Chinese, then you'd blame the ________ (insert UAW, German, or American final build site) for the problems.

Any time you come on a forum like this, you're seeing the minority. I've read the threads and the ignorance that flows from them just boggles my mind. So many of you seem to think you understand the quality control processes Ford has in place, and until you understand that, are just pissing in the wind. Not to mention, I see more issues with dealer reactions to a problem, than Ford itself. We all know there are crappy dealers, and this issue just accentuates that problem. More people are getting half-assed service for the transmission issues than are getting results.

There were small items changed on the 2012MY transmission that addresses some of these issues, which I'm not going into detail about. Those of you who don't have a grasp on the issue other than people freaking out on here (which it really is) need to calm down and take a deep breath.
Old 4/21/11, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Are you the same guy who buys nothing but "Made in the US" products every where you go?

Let's face it, you can blame it on the fact it's made in China, or you can open your eyes and look at the big picture of todays global economy. If it wasn't Chinese, then you'd blame the ________ (insert UAW, German, or American final build site) for the problems.

Any time you come on a forum like this, you're seeing the minority. I've read the threads and the ignorance that flows from them just boggles my mind. So many of you seem to think you understand the quality control processes Ford has in place, and until you understand that, are just pissing in the wind. Not to mention, I see more issues with dealer reactions to a problem, than Ford itself. We all know there are crappy dealers, and this issue just accentuates that problem. More people are getting half-assed service for the transmission issues than are getting results.

There were small items changed on the 2012MY transmission that addresses some of these issues, which I'm not going into detail about. Those of you who don't have a grasp on the issue other than people freaking out on here (which it really is) need to calm down and take a deep breath.
Completely agree, and as another statement to add. If you want to "buy American" go buy a Honda Odyssey, it has a higher percentage of made in the US parts than the Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger. Got to love the global economy.
Old 4/21/11, 09:55 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie
Completely agree, and as another statement to add. If you want to "buy American" go buy a Honda Odyssey, it has a higher percentage of made in the US parts than the Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger. Got to love the global economy.
You can look at it from two ways:
1 - Manufacturer location - money goes back there
2 - Final assembly and/or parts % of US content. Employs Americans for work, but money may not stay in the country (see Honda, Toyota).

Quick Reply: 2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming